Alembic still

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Alembic still

Post by Corn Cracker »

I have the opportunity to pick up a new 5g alembic for a 3rd of the list price. I plan on using it for for the stovetop spirit run, are they worth it or just cool to look at? I have a 4g ss pot i made for spirit runs that works great but......
I'm selling a rifle scope that i really like but don't use much to pay for this thing, just wanting some opinions on the alembic stills vs a regular pot still.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Alembic still

Post by still_stirrin »

An alembic IS a potstill. It’s just shaped differently. Classically, an alembic is a good brandy still. Similarly, it would be useful for making a rum or whiskey. But my point is … it’s a potstill. So, “how you run it” is the key to operational success, or the “quality” of your product. But, your potstill, if operated properly, would do just as good at making those flavored spirits.

Got money to spend? Go ahead. But it may just end up setting on your shelf.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If I came across a well made Alembic 5g copper still for 50% off, I'd buy it. But I wouldn't run it on a worm condenser.
But for what they cost, and what I'd use one for, a small milk can, or a pony keg would be just as effective for less money, and my current kit would work perfectly with it.
Like SS said. It's just a copper pot still.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I love my Alembic although it’s a little smaller @ 2.5g and i use it for small batch gins and similar. I made a liebig and a reflux condenser for it because the worm it came with was undersized - I can run as little as a couple liters no problem. It does require some flour paste to seal it but that’s easy. Run it on a 1k5W hotplate in the kitchen and can do a small batch after work before bed or a feints run from a single larger batch.

I’d go for it if the size works for your workflow plus they do look nice :)

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

They do look nice and everyone loves a bargain but.... are you swapping something you like but don't use much, for something that you may like but don't use much - just sayin
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I got my 3 liter cheap. It’s a great little gin still. Automated the cooling water to the worm and it has no problem knocking down whatever I give it.

5 gallons is a bit of an awkward size. A bit on the large size for small experiments and a bit small for making likker for aging.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I'm gonna get it, it's only 150 bucks. It'll be the most I've spent on this hobby so far but, it will be used at least monthly, my current spirit run still is 5 gallons so I'm used to size, plus I have wanted one since i started this hobby, they are nice to look at, i love working with, seeing and making stuff with wood and metal.
I'm kinda excited about it now
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Resized_20210814_181351.jpeg
I got it, looking forward to using it.
Now I got to get something fermenting
Buck Owens
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice score! Enjoy it :)

Cheers,
j
————
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd buy that for 150 bucks. Nice score :thumbup: . I have other stills that are better suited for making bulk spirits, but that would be very handy for some of the things I do.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Perfect little gin still. :thumbup:
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

looks great and defo a bargain at that price - is it really a 5 gal pot, it seems smaller in the photo?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Beautiful still, CornCracker.

At the turn of the century, Charles Gordon (grandson of William Grant & Sons) hired Lesley Gracie, a chemist by trade to develop a 'new' gin for him, using roses and cucumber. The plan was to kickstart the lowly gin industry and introduce what became Hendrick's Gin. Master Distiller Ms. Gracie is now considered the first lady of gin and Hendrick's sells over a million cases annually.

Thought you might like this photo of her.
Lesley Gracie.jpeg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Thanks Twisted, that's an awesome bit of history, i appreciate that!
Buck Owens
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hey Corn, check out some mods i did to mine when I lost the worm. This one has an NTP male 1” fitting on top of the onion head so it wasn’t too bad cutting and soldering some copper. Let me know if you want more pics. The RC and PC section connect with a 1/2” union fitting. I can run without reflux by closing the reflux valve and/or not connecting water to that section. This is a ten liter / 2.5gallon baby so yours might be different at the top.

Cheers!
-j
C4ECDD7A-9C6F-46BB-AE94-29928D301A36.jpeg
9E5FB57B-581B-4100-843C-4617E19D2FEA.jpeg
18A916B4-1BE0-455C-9F12-4D9E003CD3CD.jpeg
996771D6-0108-4AF1-9174-1039D7C7FC74.jpeg
385F5F22-1626-477E-98EE-0A298748C6FC.jpeg
————
————
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Jonny, i appreciate the pics, a lot of food for thought. Good job on that build!
Buck Owens
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I ran mine today. It used very little cooling water. I don't know why some users have trouble with their worms. I presume that they are doing something wrong, probably something that their physics teachers tried to teach them at school, but they've already forgotten by they time they built/bought their first worm.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 am I ran mine today. It used very little cooling water. I don't know why some users have trouble with their worms. I presume that they are doing something wrong, probably something that their physics teachers tried to teach them at school, but they've already forgotten by they time they built/bought their first worm.

How many wraps of tubing does your worm consist of i have 2
20210817_061908.jpg
Buck Owens
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I'm thinking of turning that into a thumper
Buck Owens
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The worm that came with mine felt a little undersized. Probably could have made it work but I really wasn’t a fan with how plumbing the water worked in that system and the product output was too low to be useful without elevating the whole rig so I changed it and it’s definitely more functional now both with product takeoff and condensing capabilities lol.

I hadn’t considered turning the flake stand into a thumper but that would be interesting as well! Let us know how it goes Corn Cracker if you go that route :)

Cheers!
-j
————
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

worm.jpg
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Nz, you got a bigger worm than me :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

I ran the vinegar through it and it needs a some modifications, I'm going to solder a ½ inch copper stub out under the over flow in the worm pot(i know there's a proper name, can't remember it though) to hook my pump up to and use the top one for a return line, the union to hook up the worm is crazy, there's a big gap between mating surfaces i need to replace that with a propper copper union.

I'm going to make those 2 mods this week and run some feints this weekend to try it out
Buck Owens
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OK, first I have to admit I have used several types of product condenser but never a traditional worm and flake stand. I love the looks of an alembic still and almost bought one years ago. If I ever do in the future I am sure it will be more of a display still than one I would use. My reasoning is I could never rationalize paying for a large alembic still and I already have two small stills for essential oils and gin. But if the price is right I would in a minute buy an alembic still to show case in my house.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Corn Cracker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm…going to make those 2 mods this week and run some feints this weekend to try it out…
Don’t forget….If you modify your still, you NEED to redo the cleaning protocol….in it’s entirety! Safety FIRST!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I got off work early so i worked on the still, got the lower pipe soldered in for the flake stand chill water and i figured out that the top threaded part of the factory "union" was supposed to be soldered stationary so i got that massive leak taken care, still don't like it though I'll change it to a copper union another day.
Buck Owens
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I have seen reports of those style alembic stills being sold recently testing positive for lead, consider buying a test kit...