Copper BD Burner

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bryan1
Swill Maker

Copper BD Burner

Post by Bryan1 »

G'Day Guy's,
It does seem a How To Guide for building your own burner is open for discussion so let me start with my version. :thumbup:

Grab a length of 3/4" copper tube about 6"s long and close one end in a vice and hard solder it. Now wait until it cools until we do the suck test, going too soon will end up with a sore mouth :roll: Now when the suck is done and proven time to move to the end and hard solder in a 1/4" BSP nipple and again wait for the suck test. Once this id done and proven get a 0.7mm drill bit a bit over an inch from the closed end as we want to hard solder on a 2" pipe that we can trim to get the air/gas ratio right. Now a 1/8" copper pipe needs to be around the hole and remember the higher that 1/8" is the more trimming but it must be atleast 3/8" high so the flame can start. use a dremmel cutter to trim and remember that bit too much will cause balling which means we went too far. So if that happens just cut off the 2: and hard solder it on again and keep trimming as we do need to get this right.

The ones i make work nicely on 3-5 psi and yes they will go up to 50 psi and put out some serious heat and noise too, I reckon mine on 5 psi works on about 45-50DB and when I trough it right it is hard to hear the radio and the surrounding area is pretty warm too.

I find off a 8.5 Kg bottle I will get 3 runs using a 50 litre boiler so I'm happy with that.

Let the discussion begin

Cheers Bryan
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper BD Burner

Post by NormandieStill »

Not planning on building one, but I having read the description, I have no idea what this is supposed to look like. Think you need to including pics... or write your description as if you were describing it to someone who had no idea what you were building! :D
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

This week I'll post a pic of mine as they say a pic is a 1000 words.

Cheers Bryan
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Looking forward to the pics, i love making stuff that might look rustic but is safe,functional and works great.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens