My flipped keg boiler build

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

My flipped keg boiler build

Post by ttocs »

I'm a huge fan of the flipped keg design. You get a automatic 2" ferule for a drain and a clean slate to weld whatever size ferules you want.
  • 4" main port
  • 2" 2ndary top port for filling/sightless
  • 2" Drain/recirc
  • 3 x 1.5" side ports for
    • 5500 watt element
    • Thermowell for an Auber DSPR400 still controller
    • Recirc port
My plan eventually is to run a small mag drive chugger-style pump to recirc from side port up center drain in place of an agitator. My hope it to limit scorching as much a possible. This may be overkill so I haven't committed to it yet. Just my thought process.

I also added a small loop to inside main 4" port to hang a gin bag to. I like to do a combo of maceration for flavor botanicals and vapor infusion for aromatics.

My controller will primarly be the Auber DSPR400 Still heat controller which uses boiler temp for the feedback loop. What I like about it is it runs both as a PID and power regulator. I will be able to use it for heating up mash water to specific temp, warming spirit for gin maceration then also flip into power regulator mode for controlling the boil better. Has ability to set temp alarms as well. Best mix of manual and automation for my liking.

IMG_9481 (1).jpeg
IMG_9483 (1).jpeg
IMG_9476 (1).jpeg
IMG_9475 (1).jpeg
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Re: My flipped keg boiler build

Post by tiramisu »

Almost exactly my plan. Although I'm thinking 6 or 8" on top and then reducing to 3" and only 2 1.5". For heating element. How is the 4" port in terms of being able to see what you are doing with your arm in there?

And where did you source your piece parts?
ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ttocs »

Almost all SS parts are from Aliexpress. Cost difference is so stinking lower than anywhere else. You find out it's almost all the same stuff you buy domestically, just resold and marked up.

I prob would have gone bigger for main port. I have avg build arms and my arm takes the entire opening. I do highly recommend a 2nd port on top so you can fill without taking the column off. The column has way more leverage than you, especially when trying get a tri-clamp on. Doing anything to minimize the number of times you have to do that just translates into more frequent distilling.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

very nice job
did you do the welding yourself?
if not, what was the approx cost for welding.
i was looking at a 50l keg just yesterday with a view to flipping one.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Looks good and versatile. :)
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

This has all the bells and whistles.
Nice rig.
jake_jimmylegs
Novice

Post by jake_jimmylegs »

Does that rolled rim on the handle grab ring have holes drilled in it? That keg that blew up was an um, same brand keg.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Very nice.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ttocs »

jake_jimmylegs wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 pm Does that rolled rim on the handle grab ring have holes drilled in it? That keg that blew up was an um, same brand keg.
It does but it's also an electric boiler. The ones without holes blow up over direct fire where the rim heats up way higher than boiling point.
Moose Bonsai
Novice

Post by Moose Bonsai »

Whoa! Whoa! Whooooa! This is awesome!
I've just changed my boiler design.
BRILLIANT!
My mind has been obsessing over my still design for months, and I've been researching it for years. But, somehow, flipping the keg over missed my research. Just seeing ttocs photos has spun my brain to three sevens, and coins are coming out of my... (nevermind that metaphor was going nowhere fast but you get the point).

I've acquired my keg! I'm going to buy little pieces at a time (never more than $35 at a time). I plan to take my time, spend as little as possible, and enjoy the ride. I will buy the bare bones at first and use the modular design. That way, I can start distilling now and then buy additions to work toward that perfect rig zooming around in my head. So far, I've got one stainless steel spool tee, three tri clamps with gaskets, and an end cap. That will be my column cap later, but it'll be my whole column for now. Someday, it might look a lot like ttocs!

Thank you.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Nice build. I would leave something of the old skirt on the new top as handles/lifting lugs, for my shop crane.
be water my friend
witch
Novice

Post by witch »

Very nice build gave me something to think about have two kegs and the photos gave me lot info many thanks
Live today hope for tomorrow
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Good job :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

:clap:
Thank you for sharing this. Such a great, albeit obvious idea. I’m thinking this could easily be applied to a steam setup and would eliminate the need to solder a down tube inside of the riser. Definitely inspiring.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine