Milk can ?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Milk can ?

Post by Sailman »

I found this can on a local buy sale trade site and I have not seen it in person does it look stainless or galvanized? I think they won't somewhere close to 120 for it is that a good price? I sent the seller a few questions about it's about the metal composition and/or composition and the manufacturer hopefully they will get back with me soon.
Screenshot_20220621-095039_Facebook.jpg
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Milk can ?

Post by dieselduo »

Look at the boilers at Brewhaus and you decide
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

It's a Galvanized steel antique, the price is okay but stainless is around the same price if not less...look on eBay the prices are less and they're new, unused.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sailman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:55 am I found this can on a local buy sale trade site and I have not seen it in person does it look stainless or galvanized? I think they won't somewhere close to 120 for it is that a good price? I sent the seller a few questions about it's about the metal composition and/or composition and the manufacturer hopefully they will get back with me.
I grew up on a dairy farm. And when I was very young (before school age), my dad would ship our milk in those milk cans. They are indeed stainless steel (304, I believe).

We phased out the milk cans by 1960, however. Since then, they’ve become “collector’s items”, not so much as utilitarian. “Early American” decorators like to use them as home decorations.

That can (in the photo) looks like it was painted on the outside at some point in its lifetime. As for the asking price, as a “collectible”, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

For our utility, there are better options with better price advantages. I wouldn’t consider buying an old milk can with the intent to repurpose as a boiler. But … it’s your money to use as you choose.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Alright well after looking around I'm not sure this is gonna be the right milk can for me. I was going to try to get it under a $100 but I would have to add a 2" for the heating element and a 2" for the column. It would wind up being a lot cheaper just to buy an 8 gallon size from somewhere. I have a 15 gallon keg that works well. I just would like something a little smaller for just doing a fast stripping run in the 15 gallon and then a spirit run in the smaller one. I would rather build my own instead of by instead of buy just so I can keep my name off of any list but I guess just being on this fourm puts the target on my back anyway. Thanks for all the help.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Sailman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:46 am Alright well after looking around I'm not sure this is gonna be the right milk can for me. I was going to try to get it under a $100 but I would have to add a 2" for the heating element and a 2" for the column. It would wind up being a lot cheaper just to buy an 8 gallon size from somewhere. I have a 15 gallon keg that works well. I just would like something a little smaller for just doing a fast stripping run in the 15 gallon and then a spirit run in the smaller one. I would rather build my own instead of by instead of buy just so I can keep my name off of any list but I guess just being on this fourm puts the target on my back anyway. Thanks for all the help.
I wouldn't be concerned buying a boiler online, but I know where you're coming from. I just don't see any conceivable way you can have a search warrant issued or probable cause due to the purchase of a stainless milk can online. There's just way too many different uses for such a common object.

Most do multiple stripping runs then one spirit run in a 15.5 gal keg. You can do multiple ferments or one bigger fermentation.

I prefer large fermentations and one larger boiler for a single stripping run. Then I'll do a single spirit run in the keg.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I think Kiwi Bruce is probably correct. That is a galvanized steel can. My wife has acquired several over the years and they have all rusted. Yes, stainless can rust, but not like those milk cans did. They make nice plant stands. If you can confirm that is is stainless, it could have possible uses in our hobby.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I have 5 or 6 of them, not stainless as they are all somewhat rusty but only surface rust. $60 each plus shipping and you can have them all :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

At this point it's a moot point but the older ones were made of steel. Some were galvanized some not. Later ones were made of stainless steel. Looking closely at that picture it appears to me to be a later stainless steel one. I'm willing to bet somewhere near or on the bottom is says "Stainless Steel". I'm a cheap bastard so I think even $100 is crazy money for it :crazy:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Looks like gal to me.......but hard to say without seeing it in the flesh.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am
Sailman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:46 am Alright well after looking around I'm not sure this is gonna be the right milk can for me. I was going to try to get it under a $100 but I would have to add a 2" for the heating element and a 2" for the column. It would wind up being a lot cheaper just to buy an 8 gallon size from somewhere. I have a 15 gallon keg that works well. I just would like something a little smaller for just doing a fast stripping run in the 15 gallon and then a spirit run in the smaller one. I would rather build my own instead of by instead of buy just so I can keep my name off of any list but I guess just being on this fourm puts the target on my back anyway. Thanks for all the help.
I wouldn't be concerned buying a boiler online, but I know where you're coming from. I just don't see any conceivable way you can have a search warrant issued or probable cause due to the purchase of a stainless milk can online. There's just way too many different uses for such a common object.

Most do multiple stripping runs then one spirit run in a 15.5 gal keg. You can do multiple ferments or one bigger fermentation.

I prefer large fermentations and one larger boiler for a single stripping run. Then I'll do a single spirit run in the keg.
I usually do multiple stripping runs and then a spirit run I'm on the 4th generation of generation of UJSSM as we speak. 4 stripping runs of this will get combined into the keg for a spirit run. It's just something about 4 or 5 gallons of whiskey I can't get over it's a little more than I need. I have 5 gallons of a 110 proof rum in a barrel currently and another one and a 1/2 gallons of 90 proof rum in glass jars, oh and about 10 qt jars of sweet feed 90 proof. I just don't drink like I used to. I'm sure there's a lot of guys around here they will help me get rid of it. LOL
Pierrot Lunaire 55
Novice

Post by Pierrot Lunaire 55 »

One of the best milk cans for use as a boiler is a Firestone Sani-Brite or Sanaloy. I have several (not for sale) and they all look the same but have those two names. Not sure if there is a difference. It's 304 stainless, has a smooth, easy-to-clean interior, and available in 5 and 10 gallon versions. The lid is the same for both sizes, so if you adapt a lid to go to a condenser, it can work on either size. They're indestructible. They show up on eBay with some regularity.
Der Dichter, berauscht sich an dem heilgen Tranke