30qt Stock Pot...a way to clamp the lid down?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

diskmaster23
Novice

30qt Stock Pot...a way to clamp the lid down?

Post by diskmaster23 »

I have recently bought a 30qt stockpot and I am trying to figure out how to clamp down the lid to make a seal, but I cannot seem to think of a solution.

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance.

Disk

Post by Guest »

make a cork gasket,and use about a dozen of those black paper clamps that you can get at staples or office max.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Some solutions

1. A place a metal bar(s) across the top, using screws etc, tighten down the bar to the handles of the stock pot.

2. Use a bunch of small clamps around the lip of the stock pot to secure the lid.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
diskmaster23
Novice

Post by diskmaster23 »

Actually the metal bar might work.

I got one of those stock pots where there is no easy way to use those things from staples.

But I think that metal bar might work or something else of that sort.

Post by Guest »

just putting weight on it will work fine too.

A couple bricks on each side will work
diskmaster23
Novice

Post by diskmaster23 »

Where would I be able to find something that would work as a metal bar?

Anything at home depot or lowes that would suffice?
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

all depends on your stockpot but i looked at the one at home and i figured on using some large springs (like they use for break shoes) one end hooked to the handle and the other seated in the indent all the way around the lid.
diskmaster23
Novice

Post by diskmaster23 »

That's the problem. I don't have a indent or a lip.

I bought this pot http://www.instawares.com/Aluminum-Stoc ... CR.0.7.htm

as you can see I it doesn't have a lip.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Well....now that I see the stockpot you have, a heavy weight is probably your best way to go. In my experience, aluminium tends to corrode during distillation, so you'll eventually want to replace your boiler with a stainless steel stockpot.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner

Post by Guest »

I agree about the corrosion thing. It is easy to slow the corosion down....make sure you rinse the boiler and lid with clean water....and make sure it is COMPLETELY DRY before storage....the smallest amount of leftover moisture will cause pitting. DO NOT store it with the lid on it either. Keep it free of salts. Do NOT use vinegar to clean it.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Make a mixture of flour and water, real pasty, and past all over where the lid hits the pot. Make it think. then put 2 cobbles(5-6" diam or so) on each side of the lid handle..there you go..
diskmaster23
Novice

Post by diskmaster23 »

I just tried to braze a brass fitting and a copper reducer and ended up fucking the whole thing up. I figured out that I bought the wrong kind of braze rod (the bronze rod). When I should have bought the silver nickel one.
DOH!

Also I made a hole saw cut too big for the copper male adapter(2"). So I will need to buy a flange and then braze it right this time. I just hope the flange will hold the 2" copper adapter.
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

You might want to do something like I did to keep the lid of my 'unsealable pot' on:

Yeah, it's overkill. But only took 30 minutes to make and will NEVER come off :D The heads of the carriage bolts catch under the lip of the pot, clamping it on good and solid. There's also a bead of aquarium sealant around the lip of the pot.

I have since replaced those proof-of-concept bolts with nice, short ones.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Got to:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b79/Rocke ... Still1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

and

http://photobucket.com/albums/b79/Rocke ... Still2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow]

i just use flour paste and 2 rocks..works for me..
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

Damn, blueraven, I'm jealous of your pot... I should'a spent the extra 5 bucks to get one with a nice lip like that :oops:
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Well remember what Red Green says:

"If the women dont find ya handsome, they better find ya handy" <G>

Post by Guest »

Hey Blueraven,
What kind of connecting device did you use for your bucket? Like the black piece right before it hits your glass?

I like the pot stills, but to tell you the truth...my still is like tall...like 4 to 5 feet tall before it starts to roll off...Will that cause alot of reflux?

Post by Guest »

Crap...I posted without logging in again.
diskmaster23
Novice

Post by diskmaster23 »

Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

I went to ace hardware, i tokk the bucket and the 1/2 Cu worm, and the guy fnd a black fitting with 2 nice rubber seals on each side. inserted it in hole in bucket and screw together. it also accepts brass screw in fittings from each side( female)..the inside is a 90 brass with compression fitting to accept the 1/2" Cu worm. the outside of the bucket show a brass nipple..therer i can connect a smaller pipe for the distillate to drip form.

its kinda like a faucet shank but hard plastic..

good Ruck
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Guest,

IM building a reflux now..I really dont know too much abt the operation of them until i use it awhile..so i cant answer that question