Keg with 3 inch Tri clover ?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

new_moonshiner
Trainee

Keg with 3 inch Tri clover ?

Post by new_moonshiner »

Would like to see some pics of a keg with 3 inch tri clover welded/soldered in place of the standard size in top , I have 3 inch VM/LM combo I need to connect . Advice /suggestions appreciated from anyone who has done it . I seen online I can buy one like it already , But I have a good as new keg already .
Thanks
NM.
Nutmegmooner
Swill Maker

Re: Keg with 3 inch Tri clover ?

Post by Nutmegmooner »

On my 3" Boka I simply bought a 3" to 2" copper reducer then made an easy flange. Would that work? My experience tells me you wouldn't even need to solder, a slip fit works.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

i have a 3x2 tri clover already , I just need to keep everything short as possible distance is the reason .
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

I have a 4" welded into my keg, but it's expensive to get welded if you don't have a mig/tig setup.

One of these would be the cheapest way to go - $20 for a 3 x 2 cap-style reducer - doesn't add much height

https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clo ... 30X20.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Do you have a 3" ferrule already or do you still need to get it? I hope this will help.http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=30
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Great info !!! Thanks guys
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

yes Pfshine i have ferrell thanks for the thread link
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Hey New_Moonshiner
I have a 3" ferrule for my pot and a 2" fill port. we had to cut the upper ring/guard to allow the tig torch around the 2".
Tri clamp.jpg
Mr P has a really cool one he built where he turned the keg upside down, used the existing 2" for a drain. He then cut off completely the top ring (previously the bottom ring) and welded his ferrules on top.

Cheers
Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You talking about this one? It has a 4" on top. If I were to do it for myself. I would do this very same thing. Because with a 4" and adapters. You can run any size you want. I built this one for Sugardaddy. Wish it was mine.
IMAG1962-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Grey_Meadow
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Grey_Meadow »

Mr. Piss
That is beautiful. A couple of questions; Did you start with a new keg, that one looks in very good shape. I assume the polishing was your doing. And how did you get the bottom collar cut off?

And another. When you weld the Tri-Clamps on, did you weld the tri-clamp flush to the surface or did you cut a through hole and slide the "neck" of the weld fitting inside the keg?

Thanks, Grey
Grey Meadow
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It was a used one Sugardaddy found. But it was in very good shape. Like new. Polishing was still a pita.

Used a right angle grinder with a cut off wheel. To cut the ring off. Kept going around the weld at an angle. To get it off. Then ground what little weld was left on the keg off. And smoothed it out.

I cut the hole for the 4" the size of the I'd of the Ferrule. And set the Ferrule on it then welded it. Same with the 2" fill port. The 4" leaked after hr got it home. And he had to get someone up there to fix my mess.

I have a thread about it somewhere around here.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

PP - that looks familiar... Was much of the inspiration for my boiler build. I need to work on the sheen still, I can see.

Cut off the bottom ring, flipped it, and welded a 4" sanitary fitting + 4" cleanout + a 2" viewport to the top. Original sankey is now the drain.
IMG_20140613_144828 (600x800).jpg
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Looks good bob. I personaly wouldn't spend to much time on polishing. After doing Sugardaddys boiler. I will never polish another one. Unless I'm building for someone who requests it. And they pay me extra to do it. I probably have 20+ hours in that polish job. And I still want completely happy with it.

They work the same polished or not. And they don't stick out like a soar thumb in the corner of the basement.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Yeah Mr P that was the one I was referencing. That is some dam fine work and Bob's is pretty kick ass too. :thumbup:
I just switched to sanke kegs for beer brewing and ordered up some new ones, I may have to sacrifice one for that upside down design.

Thanks for the ideas
Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Grey_Meadow
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Grey_Meadow »

I have been looking into switching my beer fermenters to SS and I think I can put together a setup that would work as a fermenter or a boiler. That way if anyone asks; its a fermenter. :D
Grey Meadow
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

I agree with PP, if you want it polished, get someone else to do it!

They look good brushed, use a 180 grit and only go in ONE direction, in a straight line, without stopping, ever.

As it has been mentioned, in regard to polishing a keg, I would rather slide down a ten foot razor blade on my bare arse using my dick as a brake.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thanks Windy City for the reference , thats some fine work there guys !!!
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

As it has been mentioned, in regard to polishing a keg, I would rather slide down a ten foot razor blade on my bare arse using my dick as a brake.[/quote]

That is funny as hell hahahaha I have say I agree polishing is a pain in the ass.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"