Agitator?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raven_r_one
Bootlegger

Agitator?

Post by raven_r_one »

Hi all!

Was wondering- has anyone found a good way to prevent even slight toasting during a stripping run?

I've toured several very small scale distilleries now and have seen everything from a diffuser plate (for direct flame) to air controlled agitators.

I have a vague recollection of someone suggesting marbles or pennies in the bottom of the boiler to keep things moving.

Ideas?
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Agitator?

Post by cob »

pennies and marbles in a boiler are boiling chips for nucleation and would likley do little to alleviate scorching.

further pennies made 1982 and later aer 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper and are not safe as boiling chips.
be water my friend
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Are you trying to distill on the grain?
Most homedistillers clear their wash/mash before distilling eliminating the worry of scorching. Many pro distilleries distill on the grain but are using steam jacketed sills with mixer/agitators. Some home distillers here have tried Bain Marie style boilers but at the size we are dealing with I don't see much advantage

Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
raven_r_one
Bootlegger

Post by raven_r_one »

Hmmm - I'm not - I rack from my fermentation vessel to a 30 gal fermenter and then let it settle for 24-48 hours.
Then, I rack from there to the still, but no matter how careful I am, there is sediment and for stripping runs, the wash gets scorched a bit.

Generally, it imparts an awesome toasted flavor - so no arguments there.

But I was wondering if people found a way to keep things circulating in the still so it doesn't do that at all.

I do 4 stripping runs then take whatever backset needed to drop the charge to 40% ABV and all the stripping output and do a spirit run. So typically the last stripping backseat is used.

Anyhow - not the end of the world, just wanted to see if there was something else I could build :-)))
raven_r_one
Bootlegger

Post by raven_r_one »

Was contemplating a chugger pump to recirculate the charge in the still....

Would also use it during the cooking process as well?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There shouldn't be anything in it to get scorched.

What is the FG? There might be unfermented sugar.

Test for starch.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

You could also rack to a secondary fermenter and let it settle for a few days. You could also crash cool it during this period too. If you did both of these and still get scorching then you are heating too fast or as NZChris pointed out you may have unconverted starches and or unfermentable sugars in your beer.

What was your recipe? Does t his happen with everything you make?
I'm goin the distance...
raven_r_one
Bootlegger

Post by raven_r_one »

I think I can attribute it to 2 things:

- running too hot
- getting some yeast

I know yeast is sometimes my issue (once I was really careless and blew an element).

At my best, if this were a beer, and when I was homebrewing, I never had crystal clear beer at the bottling stage.

Via iodine tests, there's no blackness by the time it hits the fermenter, so maybe unconverted sugars (although the beer is not sweet when sampled enroute to the still)?

Thanks for the suggestions!

PS - chuggers are good to 250 degrees- still contemplating one for both the cooking and then for the still
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

With no starch or sugar in the wash, I'm buggered if I know why you get scorching. A pic of the still might help.

Can you leave the still head off while heating so that you can stir it, then, as soon as it reaches BP, put the head on? Once it is boiling, the agitation from the boil should keep everything in suspension.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

raven_r_one wrote:I think I can attribute it to 2 things:

- running too hot
- getting some yeast

I know yeast is sometimes my issue (once I was really careless and blew an element).
Are you using a ultra low watt density element?
When you rack you could put some cheese cloth in a funnel to help filter any solids that may get by.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Agitator? I vote TeePee.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

I just built a steam injection rig for distilling on the grain. One keg has a 5500 W internal element for boiling water. There is a head that attaches to this keg with a tri clamp. This head has a safety blowoff and bypass valve. The steam is piped into the bottom of another keg filled with grain in whiskey mash for distilling. There is a tube with several small holes for the steam to be injected into the mash. I only fill with about 10 gallons of mash, because during heat up the volume of water that is added from the condensing steam is about 1.5 gallons. The total volume is about 11.5 gallons now, so it leaves about 3.5 gallons of headspace. If you start with an 8% ABV wash, then with the addition of the 1.5 gallons of water, the starting ABV is more like 7%. I use the steam injection system with my 4 plate flute to get really good whiskey in a single pass.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Dude2008
Novice

Post by Dude2008 »

Pretty darn funny GA.
raven_r_one
Bootlegger

Post by raven_r_one »

Windy City wrote:
Are you using a ultra low watt density element?
When you rack you could put some cheese cloth in a funnel to help filter any solids that may get by.

I rack from the 30 gal through a fine mesh (100?) particulate filter and have a curvy 5500 watt element (run at 110/10 amps):
Attachments
Filter
Filter
Element
Element
image.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

So it would appear that trying to upgrade my boiler to a larger one, with an auger/agitator, that will be powered by natural gas burner, wouldn't make sense? I don't want to strain the grains any more and I'm willing to drop 2-5k on a pre built 6" diameter column still to never have to worry about grains again.

An agitator is only effective on a steam boiler? I've seen a decent design for 10k, but I don't know how to power the boiler.

I'm going to run natural gas
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Guy on Empty Glasses forum uses an agitator and swears by it.......think he runs gas .....will find out for you.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Thanks. I'm looking to pay down debt and save enough cash to upgrade. When the time comes, I'm thinking agitator a must
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 pm Thanks. I'm looking to pay down debt and save enough cash to upgrade. When the time comes, I'm thinking agitator a must
you won't regret it. best upgrade on my kit.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 pm Thanks. I'm looking to pay down debt and save enough cash to upgrade. When the time comes, I'm thinking agitator a must
Rang him for a chat......says he runs gas, uses agitator for thick fruit washes and All Grain mashes........never scorched anything since using it. It fits to a 2 inch tri flange on the boiler .....bought it from Ali baba.....about $500 Au. Single phase 240v.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Bill, can you still get agitators on Alibaba? I thought the communists imprisoned most! ;-)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

:clap: :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Oye .... that be boardering on politics :shh:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

$500 for 240V single phase? Wonder how many amps that draws.. that might make a lot of sense for stripping AG on gas.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:29 pm So it would appear that trying to upgrade my boiler to a larger one, with an auger/agitator, that will be powered by natural gas burner, wouldn't make sense? I don't want to strain the grains any more and I'm willing to drop 2-5k on a pre built 6" diameter column still to never have to worry about grains again.

An agitator is only effective on a steam boiler? I've seen a decent design for 10k, but I don't know how to power the boiler.

Not sure a 6” diameter column is necessary especially at a hobby level.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm Bill, can you still get agitators on Alibaba? I thought the communists imprisoned most! ;-)
Hahaha! I shouldn't laugh at that but, that was good
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Bushman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:59 am
Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:29 pm So it would appear that trying to upgrade my boiler to a larger one, with an auger/agitator, that will be powered by natural gas burner, wouldn't make sense? I don't want to strain the grains any more and I'm willing to drop 2-5k on a pre built 6" diameter column still to never have to worry about grains again.

Well, I have limited time to make as much as I can to get through the year. My goal is to fill a 53 gallon barrel next off season so I can learn how to monitor the barrel and compare it to a 5 gallon glass carboy on sticks. I want direct, first hand(s) on experience. I also just find a co-op selling better than feed grade, at $.139/lb. Better and cheaper than Murdoch's?! What!

My season lasts 7.5 - 8 rigorous months, at which point I need about two weeks to rest, after hunting season. So I have 4-5 months to accomplish all that, and I will. I just don't see it being possible without being able to significantly increase my production rate for the time I have available. That a crap ton of time and effort, but it's been a dream and I want to accomplish it.

It's basically, with other things in life, I don't like don't the same amount of work for substantially less results. It's really just about hitting this goal I've had from day one. I'm fixated on it, even though it's probably sounds ridiculous.

I like the idea of having my own single barrel gypsy reserve 😆
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Bushman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:59 am
Given what you know, and your perspective, I agree with your sentiment, and I'm probably still way overshooting reality. But I'm a dreamer! I just can't help myself
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I tried searching distilling agitators on alibaba but no luck for 240V 2" TC style.. Any pointers?

I don't know what size boiler would be appropriate for a 6" plater but 4" seems to be adequate for hobby sized boilers 30g and under... How much capacity and power would it take to drive a 6" btw (just out of curiosity)?

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 am I tried searching distilling agitators on alibaba but no luck for 240V 2" TC style.. Any pointers?

I don't know what size boiler would be appropriate for a 6" plater but 4" seems to be adequate for hobby sized boilers 30g and under... How much capacity and power would it take to drive a 6" btw (just out of curiosity)?

Cheers,
jonny
Jonnys I don't know if it could help, in my little mash tun I used an automobile wiper motor (12v), I think it can be compared to a stirrer in distillation. A sealing system between the cover and the motor shaft would be advisable. Just an idea.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 am I tried searching distilling agitators on alibaba but no luck for 240V 2" TC style.. Any pointers?

Cheers,
jonny
I'm going to run natural gas from a 1" line in my house when it get everything plumbed professionally with the correct fittings for safety. I saw a 26 gallon with 6" fluted column from mile high that fit my budget so I just figured go big