bent keg chimb repair?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

acts of the wolf
Novice

bent keg chimb repair?

Post by acts of the wolf »

So at some point in one of my kegs previous lives it took a lot of abuse and the bottom chimb is bent pretty bad. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction? It is still functional as is just ugly. Would love to try and straighten it out some. Thanks everyone.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: bent keg chimb repair?

Post by Windy City »

Cut it off.
Flip the keg upside down, put some legs on it and use the existing opening as a drain. Then weld a new ferrule for whatever size column you want on the top. Of course this only works if you are going electric.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Great solution right there Windy
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Windy City wrote:Cut it off.
Flip the keg upside down, put some legs on it and use the existing opening as a drain. Then weld a new ferrule for whatever size column you want on the top. Of course this only works if you are going electric.
I was given that same suggestion after I cut the top for a 4" ferrule on my keg. I've seen it done and it looks good plus it would make centering and cutting the bottom that doesn't currently have a hole easier. I had no problems because I had access to a CNC Plasma cutter. The main concern is if your bottom is bent up it is important that you get the ferrule on level, if not you will have trouble leveling the column that can cause entrainment.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

+1 Windy

I hate those skirts anyway. Cut the top skirt off my keg still, which reduced the total weight by almost 10 pounds. There is a picture tutorial somewhere around here that I found very useful at the time.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

I did the keg flip trick, cut off the skirt. Love the result. The 2" drain rocks. So nice not to have to tip & glug
boiler.jpg
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice fill port as well, I wish I would have put that on mine. Might go back and do it!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

acts of the wolf wrote:So at some point in one of my kegs previous lives it took a lot of abuse and the bottom chimb is bent pretty bad. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction? It is still functional as is just ugly. Would love to try and straighten it out some. Thanks everyone.
a block of wood and a pry bar, or long 2x4, or a small bottle jack will convince stainless to move. wood protectors keep from adding damage.
be water my friend
acts of the wolf
Novice

Post by acts of the wolf »

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I think I'm just going to try the bottle jack for now.
Nemo me impune lacessit