Good controller??

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Good controller??

Post by chris_zx2 »

Hey guys, I'm looking at upgrading from stove top to dedicated boiler. I found this on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 92&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I know in terms of wattage I'm good, but I'm having a hard time understanding his the screen works, it looks like there are two holes for knobs and then on the back side I see the circuit board, do you think they just removed the circuit board with attached knobs for the photo?

Also I'm not sure yet if I will be going 220v or 110v, from what I gather I can use this is both situations but I wanted confirmation?

Thanks guys!!
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Good controller??

Post by ben stiller »

Not sure about that particular one, but other digitals from fleabay are said to not work. Go to the electric forum and search. Easy to build one or use the 10000 watt scr controller from ebay that is not digital. Used mine for 3hours today. And put a fan on it. This one is the nuts works on 110 or 220 many there sell it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10000W-220v-Adj ... 2c7271bb5a
Last edited by ben stiller on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

That was my originally plan, but the look of display caught my eye!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

You might want to do some research. There was a thread here some time ago that talked about problems with the digital version of that controller. May have been corrected by now - don't know.

I use the 10,000W analog version on 120VAC and it works well. The potentiometer isn't correct for 120V, but it still works. You have to turn the knob about half way to begin to get voltage output, but from there to full on gives the full range of voltage.

If you plan to use it on 120V, do yourself a favor and wire it with 10 gauge wire so you can easily convert it to 240V later on.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Good thinking! How many gallons is your setup and what element(s) are you running if you don't mind me asking?
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

I've got the stilldragon controller kit and couldn't be happier, and great guys to work with (answered the phone on a holiday to help with an issue). There are some great build threads on here too if you do some searching.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

BTW - If you buy one of the Chinese controllers, keep in mind that they don't have the best quality control. It should have heat sink paste between the SCR and the heat sink. Sometimes they don't use any at all. This can shorten the life of the SCR. So, remove the SCR, clean both surfaces, and apply new paste. You can get the paste from Radio Shack or most any electronics supply store.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Yeah I have read about that! I've done quite a bit of research on the controllers so I think I'm good to go.
I'm just trying to figure out element power, 110v vs 220v, etc.
Right now I'm thinking for a 7 gallon wash 2000w on 110v should take over an hour to reach temp so I'm trying to decide if I can live with that.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

My pot on 220v starts to come on about 1/4 turn but then is very linear.

I use a 4500 watt ultra low watt density element in my 5 gallon pot still. First drop in less than 20 minutes.

Mine had lots of paste on the triac
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

chris_zx2 wrote:Good thinking! How many gallons is your setup and what element(s) are you running if you don't mind me asking?
It's a five gallon stock pot still with a 240V 5500W element. At 120V, it delivers 1/4th the wattage (1375W). It takes about 1 hour to bring it to a full boil. I can do stripping runs without a controller. I use the controller with slightly reduced power for spirit runs.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Wow 4500w on 5 gallons? How do you manage to prevent the puking?
My current setup (stove top 5 gallon) I run on full blast till my temp gauge hits 60 then drop it down to half. I know the temp isn't realistic but it gives me a reference point. Any further than 60 and all of a sudden I get a spike to 90 which tells me I got cloudy shine coming!
So basically how do you reference when to dial down the power?
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

First run I had slight puking but caught it by hearing the boil. Today was only my third run with this setup and the pot was totally full. I do have almost 4 inches head space with the inverted bowl. I know my still. I run full power for 12 minutes and then slowly reduce power feeling the column warm up. I can tell to the minute when the first drop will come. Caught me off guard the first
time because the entire column would get hot on the stove for an hour warm up. With the big element the top just gets warm before the drops start. I put marks on my box so I know where to turn the pot for stripping or spirit. It is very consistent.
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

This could work for 120v: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Router-Variable ... 51c9712399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

here's the thread:http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 62&t=28179

works great with a 220v 5500w ultra low watt density element at 1/4 power. here's a pick of my controller with fan, stays completely cool for 6hrs run. I also use a 1500w hot plate to get up to temp in under an hour for 5gallons of wash.

edit: I would like to thank PP for the ease of use of this controller.
Last edited by rumBum2 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Love these setups! Thanks guys for all the input and advice. Speaking of which I just soldered up a parrot using lead free silver solder.
I was hoping there was a way to clean it without having to do a cleaning run? I was thinking soaking in vinegar, soaking in a stripping run?
The idea of a 3 or so hour cleaning run to clean a parrot seems not worth it...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Nope. No shortcuts. One reason I save fores is for cleaning after repairs and mods.
Three hours may not be necessary either. Run until it's clean and quit.

tp
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Oh so you just run fores through. That works!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

chris_zx2 wrote:Oh so you just run fores through. That works!
For a free standing parrot, I think I would give it a good manual cleaning, fill it with hot vinegar/water and let it soak for a while, rinse with hot water, soak it with fores or sac alcohol for a while, rinse again with hot water, and use it.
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

i use the controller in post # 2 wired for 220 with a fan and it works great.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Bonehead, what element do you use? Oh and up in Canada its harder to get a camco from what I've seen, anyone try a "giant" brand?
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

sorry i used the camco 5500 in a half barrel with a 10 to11 gallon charge.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I bought the everbilt brand and on the package it says made in China for Home Depot. The element says Camco on it so some
of the off brands may actually be Camco.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

I will be installing it in a 10.5 gallon stockpot, Ben stiller what weld bung did you solder on? How did you know the threading?
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I used this one. It is NPT rather than NPS that the element is threaded, but plenty of T tape and good to go. Pretty much everyone uses NPT. I found an NPS bung but it was like 30 bux.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/spud.htm
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I used the technique from this thread to attach my column and solder in the bung. My joints look as good or better than tig welded.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=39820
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I think this is the welding spud you need - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... 3ceced7b0d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that ben stiller had already posted one of these (and cheaper).
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

if it is cheap I will find it LOL :lolno:
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Did you use the stainless flux? I have never noticed it at the hardware store, never really looked for it though!
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I bought the Harris Brite kit for $12.50 from eBay. Was enough to solder the bung and a one inch cap to my stainless bowl and have a bit left over. Some say they have good luck with muriatic acid as flux for stainless. Preparation is key.