Keg on legs. Looking for ideas

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pulsetech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Keg on legs. Looking for ideas

Post by pulsetech »

I want to build a set of legs for my keg boiler. Looking for pictures and info on how others have done it. Tired of the still sitting on cinder blocks.
I can tig SS. I might even build up a new keg upside down this time. I regret not using the 2 inch fertile as a bottom drain. I have access to new legal kegs at a decent price which will look nicer than my used old keg I have now.
Or should I save up for one of those pro boilers. 100L would probably be overkill for how much I run
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Keg on legs. Looking for ideas

Post by BentJar »

Rather than putting legs on the keg, build a small metal table for the keg to sit on. The keg will be easier to store, drain and wash out if it has no legs protruding from the bottom.
Here is an idea I used on my two kegs. I got an old truck flywheel(straight drive) which was the same diameter as the keg.
I knocked off the ring gear and tapped 4 of the holes already in the flywheel to 1/2 inch and screwed in 4, 8 inch bolts with copper pipe spacers on the bolts. Its is the right height for my kegs and you can level it with the bolts. Paint it, polish the copper and you got it.
Its heavy and don't move around on you. Plus I use it for all kinds of things I need to hammer on.

Just my solution to the same problem you are having.
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Well, I heat with a Bayou Classic propane burner, so the keg just sits on the burner grating. I did weld 4 flanges to the outside ring of the support to get better stability as the keg was the same size as the grating. Sure wouldn't want a full keg falling off would we.
This would work just as well with an electric element.....just remove the burner and wind baffel. Sits about 16 inches high.
here is a photo of the added side supports to make the platform top wider. painted white so you can see what I am talking about. I would NOT put a full keg on there without these extenders.
DSCN5873.JPG
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Added a photo to the previous post.
If you are heating a keg with propane, its worth a look.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

Stationary or moveable? If stationary put it on bricks and insulate it.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Gas or electric? If electric, check this out, http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&t=56356 If gas, make the jump to electric already!
pulsetech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pulsetech »

Electric. I have 2 x 2400w elements on 240 volts. I have a drain and 4 inch fill port. I'm also setting up a clean in place system so no need to move the still or boiler.
it sits on cinder blocks now so I will either attach legs like a pro boiler or build a stand.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I mounted my tapered keg boiler in a modified wheel rim on top of a BC propane burner as per a wheel rim burner topic about 3 years back . Mounted a sheet metal heat shroud to the rim and it has been working well for me .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
pulsetech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pulsetech »

I need to get the keg around 1 ft off the ground to make it easier when emptying.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

pulsetech wrote:I need to get the keg around 1 ft off the ground to make it easier when emptying.
I built wood boxes that 3 bricks will fit into an put 2 layers in to elevate enough for a 5 gal bucket to fit under the drain and the fill pipe is not too high to load the boiler with a 3 gallon bucket .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I put legs on my kegs using stainless coach bolts. They look slender but are for stationary boilers, so it is just a vertical load and each bolt could support the filled keg so they are fine.
I bolt a bracket to the skirt and the bolt passes through the bracket. Rock solid.
MN still1.jpg
200mm x 12mm on the boiler and 10mm bolts on the thumper.

The load is taken on both arms of the bracket which is as heavy duty as i could find. I have loaded the legs up with 200kg with no problems.
pulsetech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pulsetech »

Really awesome out of the box idea. Thanks Myles
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

myles wrote:I put legs on my kegs using stainless coach bolts. They look slender but are for stationary boilers, so it is just a vertical load and each bolt could support the filled keg so they are fine.
I bolt a bracket to the skirt and the bolt passes through the bracket. Rock solid.
MN still1.jpg
200mm x 12mm on the boiler and 10mm bolts on the thumper.

The load is taken on both arms of the bracket which is as heavy duty as i could find. I have loaded the legs up with 200kg with no problems.
Nice, hey err, what size is that main boiler?
pulsetech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pulsetech »

Looks like an 18 gallon keg
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I was looking to do something similar for a keg build. I'll be flipping the keg and using the existing flange for a drain. I was thinking of designing a cradle of sorts. It would have either 4 or 6 legs, maybe with wheels. Some sort of framework for the keg to sit down into. There would be some design issues to address - especially the heating element connection and a way to accommodate the drain. The idea is - at the end of the day I can just lift it out to clean it, repair it, or store it away. Would also like for the legs to extend out an inch or two beyond the outer circumference of the keg to give it a little more stability.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Search my earlier post for a pic of my keg/boiler on wheels.

Bottom of keg is about 20" above the floor, have a 1" drain with attached hose
That lines up with the special purpose built drain under the sink in the " Man Cave"

I'd post the photo but can't from this IPad

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

pulsetech,

I don't have legs on mine...but I do have "transportability"....wheels. (see photo)
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

pulsetech wrote:Looks like an 18 gallon keg
Yeah, it is really similar to the ones we get over here, but they are as rare as hens teeth!
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

easy roll-a-round

Coyote
Attachments
boiler
boiler
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"