Steam Kettle Conversion

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Steam Kettle Conversion

Post by DFitz »

I've had a steam kettle that I had been planning on converting to hex oil. My plan is to use this oil as it has great rating and will last for years without the need to change the oil. http://www.paratherm.com/heat-transfer- ... herm-mr-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow I'm using a 6" ferrule assembly to house the heating element. This way should the element ever need replacement its an easy swap out. I'll be changing the 1" seals provided with this element from silicone to teflon. Also I'll be changing out the 6" ferrule seal to teflon. The temps will reach 250F and while using oil I think the silicone seals will degrade and eventually fail. I'll be cutting into the steam jacket and adding (welding) four 6" ferrules to the bottom of the jacket to heat the hex oil. These are the elements I'll be using. they installed into the ferrule and cap assembly well and I think they'll work out well.
2013022295182218_zps24e19202.jpeg
Elementinstall_zps450b1db5.jpg
Elementinstall_zps450b1db5.jpg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Steam Kettle Conversion

Post by shadylane »

Great Idea for the heat. Are you going to use it as a mash cooker or will it be a boiler ?
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Steam Kettle Conversion

Post by DFitz »

it'll mash out really well. My controller will run one, two, three, or all four elements and it has a 2" valve to let out the mash into the fermenter. I haven't decided whether I will still on the grain yet. We'll see when I put the kettle's top together. I'll likely have an orifice installed for mixing and give it a try.