Heating element wire getting very hot

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Heating element wire getting very hot

Post by Shovelhead89 »

I picked up a 5500 watt heating element and controller from a local guy he imports from China. Wired it up with 6 gauge wire but the wire that came with the kit that goes from the controller to the element is relatively small (14 gauge) and after about 30 minutes it got very hot so I shut it down. Unlike other controllers I've seen I set the temperature and not the amps. This isn't the only kit he's sold so you'd think other people would have complained if that was the issue. Think it's just that the wire is too small?
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heating element wire getting very hot

Post by Hank Reardon »

The 5500w I have did not come with wire. Do you know what size the wire was from the supplier? Also, it may be possible that other buyers were only running 120v supply on one leg. That is unknown.

Do you have a picture that folks can see?
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Your wire is to small go with 10 ga min! And Pic would be nice to check out your controler,the builder of your controler sounds like he does not have to much knowledge on electric and saftey
It is what you make it
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I have 2.5mm (10Gauge) and it gets warm too, It's rated at 25AMP and the element pulls 23AMP full tilt.
I may go up to 4 (6gauge) or 6 mm next time I mess around with it, the cable is just that little bit short as well.

so if you are getting a new cable go for 6 gauge, that's what I would do
Don't be a dick
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Swedish Pride wrote:I have 2.5mm (10Gauge) and it gets warm too, It's rated at 25AMP and the element pulls 23AMP full tilt.
I may go up to 4 (6gauge) or 6 mm next time I mess around with it, the cable is just that little bit short as well.

so if you are getting a new cable go for 6 gauge, that's what I would do

The 10 AWG (5.26 mm) 3/C soow 600 volt Cord I use with 2 conductor wires is rated for 30 amps for under 50 ft runs anything over 50 ft it drops to 25 if in doubt of my posts here ya go

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-cir ... acity.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It is what you make it
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Pictures (the forums image upload program is horrible)
Attachments
20160530_221453_resized_2-1.jpg
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

More pictures
Attachments
20160530_221546_resized_2-1.jpg
20160530_221505_resized_2-1.jpg
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Ground lug to the keg.. do you have one?

That yellow plug with wires hanging out.. bad bad bad! as the wire hangs. it puts pressure on the connections.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Shovelhead89 wrote:Pictures (the forums image upload program is horrible)
Works fine for me... What seems to be the problem, other than the fact that you're probably taking pictures far bigger than you need too and perhaps expecting the forum software to resolve that for you automatically - which it doesn't...???
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Switched the wire to 6 gauge and it runs cool as a cucumber now. The only issue I have is I need to turn down the heat to the element but I can only figure out how to turn it on/off. Anyone have any experience with this controller?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Like you said in your OP "Unlike other controllers I've seen I set the temperature and not the amps." Says it all. That is not the controller needed for a still boiler. You need to control power not temperature. Sorry

AC
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

You will need some more parts before the controller will do what is needed.
But all is not lost.
I see a nice box, 20 amp GFI breaker and 3 phase contactor with a set of NO contacts.
The contactor and temperature controller would be useful for an over temp shut down.
And - or to control the heat on a fermenter.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Sorry again didn't mean to imply all is lost. That is a nice power center but it will fill up fast with all the controller parts that could have been stand alone. When I buy a toy it's supposed to play out of the box. Well that's why most guys build there own stuff. Not being a negative. It's a nice power supply. :thumbup:

AC
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Well it looks like I was kind of screwed over. What do I have to do to make this work?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Shovelhead89 wrote:Well it looks like I was kind of screwed over. What do I have to do to make this work?
Read this.....
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=50385
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Hound Dog wrote:
Shovelhead89 wrote:Well it looks like I was kind of screwed over. What do I have to do to make this work?
Read this.....
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=50385
Thank you very much. Looks like I just need to wire in a potentiometer. Can anyone tell if my current relay can be adjusted with a potentiometer?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Shovelhead89 wrote:Thank you very much. Looks like I just need to wire in a potentiometer. Can anyone tell if my current relay can be adjusted with a potentiometer?
What do you have for a controller...??? SSR...??? SCR...??? Make and model would help...
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Probably not. The ssr's that work with a resistor are marked with a resistor symbol and value. Normal ssr's just show input voltage (I think). The super simple controller really does work well. I have one built for my elements. I also added one of the $10 volt amp meters. It makes heat control really easy. What did surprise me was that my voltage sags at full load.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
aduckyfour
Novice

Post by aduckyfour »

Shovelhead89 wrote:Pictures (the forums image upload program is horrible)
Back of panel look like? Pitcher please thank.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

shadylane wrote:And - or to control the heat on a fermenter.
If you're just getting started, this may sound annoying, but once you really get going you'll see how valuable shady's advice is.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

bluefish_dist wrote:Probably not. The ssr's that work with a resistor are marked with a resistor symbol and value. Normal ssr's just show input voltage (I think). The super simple controller really does work well. I have one built for my elements. I also added one of the $10 volt amp meters. It makes heat control really easy. What did surprise me was that my voltage sags at full load.
Bluefish is correct. The SSR you want to use has a squiggly line indicating it is variable. Note the symbol between 3 and 4 in the picture.
rps20160608_205336.jpg
Find this one on Amazon and the first reviewer even says he uses it for his brew kettle. :)
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Hound Dog wrote:
bluefish_dist wrote:Probably not. The ssr's that work with a resistor are marked with a resistor symbol and value. Normal ssr's just show input voltage (I think). The super simple controller really does work well. I have one built for my elements. I also added one of the $10 volt amp meters. It makes heat control really easy. What did surprise me was that my voltage sags at full load.
Bluefish is correct. The SSR you want to use has a squiggly line indicating it is variable. Note the symbol between 3 and 4 in the picture.
rps20160608_205336.jpg
Find this one on Amazon and the first reviewer even says he uses it for his brew kettle. :)
Ah I see, so I need to replace the SSR first and then add a potentiometer. Pain in the ass but doesn't look to exspensive atleast.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

rad14701 wrote:
Shovelhead89 wrote:Thank you very much. Looks like I just need to wire in a potentiometer. Can anyone tell if my current relay can be adjusted with a potentiometer?
What do you have for a controller...??? SSR...??? SCR...??? Make and model would help...
My knowledge on it is limited to everything that the picture shows that I posted of you scroll up.