Noob question- infrared thermometer

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mtez44
Novice

Post by Mtez44 »

If I were to use a infrared thermometer on my copper pot still would the exterior temp of the copper pot represent the temp of the liquid inside? I know everyone says internal thermometers are not needed. I am still learning and since I have a few infrared thermometers I was wondering if I could use this to help regulate temp until I learn my craft.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Noob question- infrared thermometer

Post by shadylane »

Paint a flat black spot on the boiler
and add 2 or 3 degrees to the measured temp.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

You have to operate the meter from the correct distance (optical resolution) against a non reflective surface for it to be accurate. You can google optical resolution and emissivity to help you make it more accurate.

I've seen folks use electrical tape to control emissivity on stainless. Likely would work for copper too.
Mtez44
Novice

Post by Mtez44 »

Shady, Hank...thank you much
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

shadylane wrote:Paint a flat black spot on the boiler
and add 2 or 3 degrees to the measured temp.
This helps tremendously. I just made a dot with a Sharpie so that i could hit the same spot with my pointer every time.

Even a few mm between measuring spots will give you very different readings.
Mtez44
Novice

Post by Mtez44 »

Rake, not to be a smart ass but how do you know the spot you have is the right spot? I only ask because you say just a few mm between measuring spots and you can get varied readings.

And now that I mention it, should the spot be on the bulk of the pot or up near the vapor cone. Or does it not matter?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Good question -- I ran without the dot for a bit until I learned where the highest temp spot was. It was the highest, most dead-center spot where the column turned to hit the PC. Go figure, right?

Keep in mind, with a pot still it's just for curiosity, and maybe for a data point in your head. The only controlling of the boiler you need with a pot still is to control your output stream.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I don't think there is so much a right or wrong spot, as long as you use the SAME spot every time.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

DAD300 wrote:I don't think there is so much a right or wrong spot, as long as you use the SAME spot every time.
DAD is spot on here (pun intended) :lolno: the temp will vary with the ABV ov the wash, elevation, even barometric pressure from the weather. It's the consistency during the run that you are truly measuring.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.