Hockey puck shaped boiler, problems?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Hockey puck shaped boiler, problems?

Post by FuelMaker »

Hi, due to basement ceiling height constraints (6'5") I'll need to have a hockey puck shaped boiler - one that's over twice as wide as it is tall. This will be under a 4" VM column.

I'm doing steam injection so I can't think of any show-stoppers but I'm a novice at this. The only potential problem I can see is if it foams up badly there'll be less room than normal between the wash surface and the column entrance.

Anybody know of any problems I should look out for?

Thanks!
"A little bit of oops goes a long way."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Hockey puck shaped boiler, problems?

Post by shadylane »

Since the steam can't be injected as deep, there will be more of a problem with
The steam bubbles breaking the surface before it can transfer it's heat to the mash.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The greater surface area should result in a less violent boil at the same heat input.
FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Post by FuelMaker »

shadylane wrote:Since the steam can't be injected as deep, there will be more of a problem with
The steam bubbles breaking the surface before it can transfer it's heat to the mash.
That's a good point, since I'll be using superheated steam in the 440-480F degree range I was already planning on having several "pre-cooling" loops prior to injection, I'll need to add more. It might even be worth seeing if I can get the steam completely condensed and then just run a return line back to the distilled water reservoir. With a wide bottom like this I'll have room for a larger coil.
NZChris wrote:The greater surface area should result in a less violent boil at the same heat input.
Thanks! I didnt know that at all - it'll foam less then.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Fuel maker - please tell me you have an abundance of experience on a professional level working with superheated steam... what your proposing is inhearintly more dangerous then making alcohol, and adding the two together is a recipe for disaster for those that don't know..

If you do know what your doing, then by all means, build away and document well as I'd love to follow the build. IF you don't have the experience please please consider a different approach.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Post by FuelMaker »

yakattack wrote:Fuel maker - please tell me you have an abundance of experience on a professional level working with superheated steam... what your proposing is inhearintly more dangerous then making alcohol, and adding the two together is a recipe for disaster for those that don't know..
Yak
It's a reasonable caution, yes I have experience with superheated vapor - though in my case it's superheated fuel prior to being combusted (turbine engines). However since the steam isnt going to be pressurized (or at worst only mildly so) its about the same as dealing with vehicle exhaust pipe. On the other hand _pressurized_ superheated steam is dangerous as hell as a leak is the equivalent of a invisible blowtorch until it cools down enough to condense into saturated steam several feet away.

The trick to dealing with it is to hardpipe the entire line and insulate everything with a secondary containment if you do spring a leak. The lines will all be wrapped with fiberglass insulation foil tape and the steam generator will have a outer shroud.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

What's your reasoning for using superheated steam instead of regular saturated steam? I've mentioned this in a post a while back, but superheated steam is exactly what you don't want for steam injection. It's great for turning a turbine while it changes from a superheated state to a saturated state, but once it enters the vessel it'll have to change from superheated to saturated before it can impart the abundance of it's energy to the mash in changing from saturated steam into water.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'd like to say I'd like to learn more about unpressurized super heated steam, but that seems redundant from a work standpoint.

i can say for sure that 15psi saturated steam at 250* is enough to bake on anything but a super-cleared wash, if the level drops below the top of the steam jacket. I'd guess hotter would bake more on even harder, and you would spend all your spare hours trying to scrape crud off the inside of the boiler.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Post by FuelMaker »

The reason for using superheated dry steam is to minimize the amount of extra water that accumulates in the boiler - it works out to a 10 percent reduction. Even at 500F it's still a lower surface temp than the ultra low watt density electric elements and shouldnt scorch. Energy input is regulated by the feed rate through the flash coil from the reservoir. I'll use the same steam generator when cooking mash, only I'll dial down the oil bath temp to about 225F so I dont destroy flexible hoses.

Anyhow back to the boiler - I'm thinking after I get the hockey puck made and the stubby legs welded on I'll hydroform a shallow curve on the bottom by stacking 2x4s and concrete blocks on the top and injecting pressurized water from a power washer. From my other tinkerings I know a steel 55 gal drum lid will start to deform at around 10psi and this should be about the same size. I need to keep the top flat so I can attach the column square to the boiler, the 4" column will be attached near the boiler edge so it can be near the wall and brackets will help hold the column up.