Keg opening question

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

workpress
Novice

Keg opening question

Post by workpress »

Hey guys I have a question with regards to a keg With a 1 1/2 " sanitary flange on it . If my column is 3" should the hole exiting the boiler be 3" as well or will the 1 1/2 be fine. I assume that vapours will rise and take the path or least resistance and all. However I am curious and would like some feedback.

Thank you

Workpress
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Keg opening question

Post by Truckinbutch »

I stayed with 1 1/2" for a pot with thumper . Working great for me for 4 years . What's your reason for wanting to go larger ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

It will work fine. The vapor speed will be faster at the opening, but will slow down once you get to the larger diameter. I run 4" on a 2" all the time.
To do it again I would go 6" for easier cleaning since my arm is too fat to fit through a 4".
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
workpress
Novice

Post by workpress »

Hey Truckingbutch

My reason for asking is to find out if it will work as I was going to cut a 6" hole and put a sanitary tri clamp with a reducer to 3" and then another try clamp to my column. This is for cleaning and I just was not sure if by not making the exit from the keg larger, at least the same size as my column I would be restricting the vapour path too much. But from further reading this is not a concern for cleaning.

Workpress
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

workpress wrote:Hey Truckingbutch

My reason for asking is to find out if it will work as I was going to cut a 6" hole and put a sanitary tri clamp with a reducer to 3" and then another try clamp to my column. This is for cleaning and I just was not sure if by not making the exit from the keg larger, at least the same size as my column I would be restricting the vapour path too much. But from further reading this is not a concern for cleaning.

Workpress
Gotcha :thumbup: I was concerned about extra labor and material on your part . Know the direction you are heading in now . Makes sense .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

If it was my keg, I'd flip it and use the 1.1/2 as a drain and then weld on a 3" ferrule for thecolumn and a 4" fillport, or 6" to 3" reducer as you said, the benifit with the 3" and 4" setup is that you can leave the column on as you fill the keg up.
If you have the space to store it connected that is
Don't be a dick
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

i have a 6" and reduce down to 4" makes it super easy to clean and my times are usually under 5 hours for 14 gallons. ill include a pic
Attachments
mystill2.jpg
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

nuntius01, that's a helluva water system you got there. But the placement of the ports on the liebig turned your 3 foot condenser into a 1 foot condenser. Move them out to the ends and it will be much more efficient.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

looks that way. but i soldered in s separator flange along the length of the 1". so flow goes down then back up and around, gives me 2 feet of with flow condensing and 3 feet of counter flow condensing.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917