SBB's Boiler Build

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

SBB's Boiler Build

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sitting in the shed running rum today and thought Id post this up between changing jars.
Its a couple of years now since I built this boiler, some of you will have seen it on another forum, others wont have.
Most of the following has been cut n pasted from another thread elsewhere.

For quite a long time I’ve been looking for a stainless vessel suitable to use for a bigger boiler. One weekend about 12 months ago I found this little beauty at a garage sale. Its a stainless 30 Gallon Pot / boiler that was once used by a cheese maker. The bloke selling wanted $100 for it, some haggling and I got it for $80. Ive stuck a 20L plastic cube in the photos to try and give and idea of size.

9 Months later.
After a heap of hold ups I finally got around to getting this boiler done. its been a long time coming, Having a drain and filler port as well as not having to remove the still from the boiler to wash it is a luxury after using a stock standard beer keg for so long.
The pot was given to a mate who spends a fair bit of his life welding stainless.
A couple of days later it came back looking like this.
A piece of 3mm stainless was cut and welded into what was the top of the pot. The lip around the top of the pot was left on to add a bit of rigidity to the whole thing. I have another reason for leaving the lip as is but will go into that later.
A four inch fill port and and four inch mounting point for the still were added to what was the bottom of the pot.
I originally ordered the thermometer to replace the dicky looking one that's on the bubbler, Once I saw it in the flesh I couldn't help but add it to the boiler for the eye candy factor.
I was a bit worried that the weight of bubbler might cause the new top of the boiler to flex a bit, so another bit of 3mm was welded on there as well to strengthen things up a bit.
While all that was happening I got stuck into creating a stand to sit the whole box and dice on.
Started off by making some legs with bolts in the bottoms of them for leveling purposes, then kept adding bits as I went.
Had to attack the brand new burner with a grinder to squeeze it in were I wanted it to fit.
Then added a adjustable regulator so that it doesn't take for ever to get up to operating temp.
Now back to the lip that was once on the top of the Pot, The lip fits snugly into the ring on the stand. This leaves about an inch of gap between the outside of the boiler itself and the ring. The plan here is to add a shroud that will fit down into the ring,, the space between will then be packed with insulation material.
The next part of the job was to get the original 4 inch to two inch reducer off the bubbler and replace it with a four inch flange, had a bit of a struggle getting that off, but it came in the end, just as the Mapp gas ran out. Glad I only soft soldered the old girl together.
Removing the original reducer and associated bits n pieces caused the still to sit a bit low for my liking, so I add another short section of four inch. At some later stage this might turn into a short section with removable plates. It might also double as a short column for a four inch Pot head. Dunno about that yet will see were it all leads as time goes on.
Ive never been keen on the idea of still fires, and as I’ve always used gas the shotty has a small extension to keep any alcohol well clear of the fire.
Anyway thats about it, and before anyone asks, NOOOOOO I aint polishing it, I have enough other stuff to polish and the still is way down the list.
Shall add Part II of this build "The insulation job" some time soon.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SBB' Boiler Build

Post by hellbilly007 »

That's a beaut of a boiler, SBB. I'm jealous
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thanks Hellbilly, glad you like it :D
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

So onto the next part of the build, I'm pretty happy with how this whole project turned out, It hasn't happened over night, more in stages, in between the other stuff life throws at you.
The photos pretty much tell the story.
I 1.jpg
I 2.jpg
I 8.jpg
I 10.jpg
I 11.jpg
I 12.jpg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SBB's Boiler Build

Post by Still Life »

Marvelous build, and something to be proud to run.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Excellent and thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Excellent..! :thumbup:
I like the way you implemented the insulation on it.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

The shroud really brings it all together. excellent craftsmanship!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

You've got some serious skills my man !!!! Great job !
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
robowop
Novice

Post by robowop »

Beautiful boiler. The column is a beaut as well!
robowop
Novice

Post by robowop »

Do you run you rums one pass through that or strip and then spirit run?