Anyone Here With a Slim 1/4 Keg?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

So I'm away from home again with too much time to ponder lol. I think I'm gonna get some fill ports welded into the top of my boiler (1/2bbl keg) and thumper (slim 1/4 Keg) and while I'm at it might as well go 4" and put a weldless drain kit in each.

Only problem now, is there enough space beside the 2" ferrule on the slim keg to weld in a 4"?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Re: Anyone Here With a Slim 1/4 Keg?

Post by Antler24 »

Bump nobody here uses a slim 1/4 for a thumper?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jackpinesavage
Novice

Post by jackpinesavage »

I've got one
JPS
Like a lumberjack but wilder
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Yes there is room.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:Yes there is room.

Thank you sir!!!
Swedish Pride wrote:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Antler24 wrote:
Worm_Drippinz wrote:Yes there is room.

Thank you sir!!!

No problem buddy, I've got a slim keg of Angry Orchard in the Kegerator and I checked and there is plenty of room.
:)

Just go to your local big liquor store and they will charge you $50 for an empty keg.

Most people don't know this but they will have no issue with it
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:...Just go to your local big liquor store and they will charge you $50 for an empty keg...
This is stealing... you are putting a deposit down with the intention of cutting that keg and never returning it. The keg isn't the distributor's to sell, it belongs to the brewer.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

What do you think the deposit is for? Lol
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:What do you think the deposit is for? Lol
Collateral for loaning you the keg...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:...Just go to your local big liquor store and they will charge you $50 for an empty keg.
Indeed it IS STEALING.

The distributor only sells the beer, not the vessel. It is not his to sell...as Wooday said...the producer owns them.

Here is a brand new 1/6 barrel keg supplier and for a very reasonable price. And it’s completely legal to own, modify, paint, etc...as you see fit.
https://www.gwkent.com/1-6-bbl-sankey-b ... gKwoPD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Don’t steal. And don’t advocate others to do it as well. It’s in our rules.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Liqour stores in this province can't even sell kegs of beer. Only places allowed to acquire and sell from kegs are bars pubs restaurants, etc. The public cannot go to a beer/liquor store and get a keg of beer for a party. That's why it was so hard for me to find my kegs
Swedish Pride wrote:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

That's really weird my buddy owns a liquor store he told me if I wanted to keep the keg all I would have to do was give him a $50 deposit I don't know if it's different in my state or not? Who knows I've never done it I've always bought mine off of Craigslist
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Okay Fellers I got it summed up! I called my buddy that owns the liquor store here in my town and he told me if I wanted to purchase a keg he would give me a receipt for it. =$50!! :mrgreen:

I have no idea if any distributors in your area might do it but it would not hurt to ask around.

After all of the research I had done after he told me this, that would make the purchase of any kegs legal if it came down to it!

I did do some digging and in some states.....some of you are correct!! it is illegal!!!!!! but in my state it is not illegal if you have a receipt of purchase.

I am glad we were able to clear this up because the last thing I wanted to do was tell somebody something that could get them in trouble!!!!!

Good luck on your Keg Journey's!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Antler24 wrote:Liqour stores in this province can't even sell kegs of beer. Only places allowed to acquire and sell from kegs are bars pubs restaurants, etc. The public cannot go to a beer/liquor store and get a keg of beer for a party. That's why it was so hard for me to find my kegs

Then you will have to buy from someone who manufactures them unfortunately :thumbdown:

Good luck friend!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:Okay Fellers I got it summed up! I called my buddy that owns the liquor store here in my town and he told me if I wanted to purchase a keg he would give me a receipt for it. =$50!! :mrgreen:

I have no idea if any distributors in your area might do it but it would not hurt to ask around.

After all of the research I had done after he told me this, that would make the purchase of any kegs legal if it came down to it!

I did do some digging and in some states.....some of you are correct!! it is illegal!!!!!! but in my state it is not illegal if you have a receipt of purchase.

I am glad we were able to clear this up because the last thing I wanted to do was tell somebody something that could get them in trouble!!!!!

Good luck on your Keg Journey's!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
A receipt doesn't change anything. Go buy one for $50 and then take your keg and receipt to the brewing company that's stamped on the keg, let me know how it goes lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
tuner
Novice

Post by tuner »

Every month allot of kegs are junked! I see them in the scrap yard monthly. They also scrap out of country kegs ie: like beer kegs from Ireland or Germany. Call your local brewing company / beer distributor and ask them about scrap units.
My are all out of country kegs / from the scrap yard. Some had a hole drilled, which was easy to weld up.

Cheers
Tuner
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Firstly, sorry for the little bit of thread necromancy. But I feel what I have to offer here is pertinent.

Code: Select all

pos·it

ˈpäzət/

verb

assume as a fact; put forward as a basis of argument.

"the Confucian view posits a perfectible human nature"

synonyms:postulate, put forward, advance, propound, submit, hypothesize, propose, assert

"they posit a purely biological basis for this phenomenon"

And

Code: Select all

de·pos·it

dəˈpäzət/

noun

a sum of money placed or kept in a bank account, usually to gain interest.

a sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later.

"we've saved enough for a deposit on a house"

synonyms:down payment, advance payment, prepayment, installment, retainer, stake

"they paid a deposit"

Clearly indicate that a deposit is 'good money' I.E. a deposit is a promise to later pay off the balance of the account. In this case, the balance is the remaining value of the keg, at whatever price the brewery sets for it, because it is their keg...

However... the assertion that a receipt of purchase changes nothing is factually incorrect. It does not change the fact that it is stolen merchandise, but it does change who is doing the stealing. now you have a bill of sale, you purchased goods from a pirate, as the law reads you didn't steal anything.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Bit of a semantic argument there but
Possession of stolen property
In many jurisdictions, if an individual has accepted possession of goods or property and knew they were stolen, then the individual is typically charged with a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the value of the stolen goods.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

5 years have passed and its still the same. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29748&hilit=black+ ... 0#p6998203
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I did an introductory unit in Commercial Law.

And as in most things there MAY be an exception.

As I (imperfectly) recall, you get good title for items purchased in 'market overt'.
And (this is from the English Common Law, I think) I am guessing that that term came from the Law French term (from the time of William the Conqueror) of market (or maybe marché) ouvert, or open market which may include auctions.

Oh, heck, Wikipedia puts it better:

Market overt or Marché ouvert (Law French for "open market") was an English legal concept originating in mediaeval times governing subsequent ownership of stolen goods.[1]

In general, the sale of stolen goods does not convey effective title. However, under 'marché ouvert', if goods were openly sold in designated markets between sunrise and sunset, provenance could not be questioned and effective title of ownership was obtained.[2][3] The law originated centuries ago when people did not travel; if the victim of a theft did not bother to look in his local market on market day—the only place where the goods were likely to be—he was not being suitably diligent.

Geoff
The Baker
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

With all this hub bub has anyone ever asked what all the breweries thought? How about just going to a brewery and asking to buy a keg? By the way that deposit is way more than alot of the Brewers actually pay for the keg. I'm not saying it's right at all, it's still morally wrong. Some just might not mind getting three or more brand new kegs at the expense of an old one.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Only a half barrel
Attachments
20180306_114937-600x800.jpg
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

However... the assertion that a receipt of purchase changes nothing is factually incorrect. It does not change the fact that it is stolen merchandise, but it does change who is doing the stealing. now you have a bill of sale, you purchased goods from a pirate, as the law reads you didn't steal anything.[/quote]

The law does read that you didn't steal anything, but you are still in possession of stolen property. While it's unlikely you would be charged, you would be forced to return the keg to the legal owner if caught, and what you paid for it would be a loss.
Swedish Pride wrote:
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

I have more kegs than I could ever deal with. I know a guy who works for one of the major breweries in the northwest. I give him a call and go over to their warehouse. Apparently they have kegs that they don't need anymore he fills out a bill of sale you sign it pay him the money he puts it in the cash register and you get to choose your keg. Last time I was in there I was able to choose from about 300 kegs in all different sizes and conditions. Legit legal and cheap.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

jon1163 wrote:I have more kegs than I could ever deal with. I know a guy who works for one of the major breweries in the northwest. I give him a call and go over to their warehouse. Apparently they have kegs that they don't need anymore he fills out a bill of sale you sign it pay him the money he puts it in the cash register and you get to choose your keg. Last time I was in there I was able to choose from about 300 kegs in all different sizes and conditions. Legit legal and cheap.
That's great! Your lucky to be able to do that, but that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about buying a keg from a guy that buys the keg full of beer and rather than bring it back to the brewery he sells it for tge deposit.
Swedish Pride wrote:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Hey gents seems the focus has changed. Used keg buying is a matter of continence verse guilt. If it's stolen most of us will know it.

Antler got his answer so lets do new threads to address the other stuff