Water heater element for grain /rum runs

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

zapata
Distiller

Re: Water heater element for grain /rum runs

Post by zapata »

Yeah, I'd think a pot with too thin a wall for mounting an element would have to be incredibly flimsy. I'd think that either brewhardware's new press in 1.5" triclamp or their contoured solderable triclamp would work fine. Both should offer enough surface area to make a bond as strong as the pot wall. If the wall is really thin then leverage at the element or element guard would allow for some flexing of the pot wall, but I don't see that being a problem while running as there shouldn't be much of any force on it at rest.
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Hey guys, it's been a bit since I've been in here. Thanks for all the good feedback, I have some experience for future feedback.
I run a pot still: 15g keg, 7g keg thumper. Whats going to make what I share possible is, I run a 24" long homemade 2" shotgun condenser with 5 internal tubes. I have a Harbor Freight submersible pond pump and pull and dump into my swimming pool.
I ran a dedicated 240v 60a circuit and dedicated 120v 20a circuit to my patio. I welded two 2" triclamp fittings into my keg. One in the bottom, one in the middle. My thoughts were that I would run a 5500w element straight off a 240v disconnect. And when up to temperature I would switch to the 120v element and variable controller.
Boy was I wrong.
The 1200w controller will not maintain my keg temperature above a boil. (Does anyone need a 120v controller and element?)
So, the only choice I had was to run the 5500w element. I was sure I would need a 240 controller. I was very surprised that (again, thanks to the shotgun) I can full on run the 5500w element in my keg for the whole run. The entire run (from boil to 211°) took me two hours. Yield of 2 1/3 gallons of 94-98 proof. Running fast through the thumper retains flavor really good. - I actually pride that flavor I have developed in my recipes and don't understand why you guys want to strip it all out.
Anyhow, for future use: if you have a 15g keg you need a 5500w element and controller. You can only add as much heat as you can dissipate. Water flow and condenser size will determine how hard you can cook.
Hope this feedback helps someone looking to go electric.
PacificNorthWest
Novice

Post by PacificNorthWest »

The system I settled on was a water heater element internal heat hooked up to a controller. Then I have an industrial high heat electrical burner to add to mix. I find this system get that boiler going fast, you can back it off once it starts if you want\need to. Ebay has a 25 dollar controller board that I wired and soldered. Been working for at least 20 runs by now.