Piping size confusion

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Piping size confusion

Post by rubelstrudel »

I have a 70l stainless kettle boiler that I am going to fit with a 6kw water heater element. To do this I need to punch a hole in the side of the kettle to mount the heating element.

Now. My heating element is stamped with "1 1/4 inch - DN 32". And based solely on that information it is not unreasonable to assume that the outer diameter of the thread would be of that dimension. But no - that pertains to the bore of the pipe the heater is constructed from. The actual outer diameter of the thread is 42mm (41.3mm actually) or 1 5/8" for you metrically challenged people out there.

Now, to get a nice and round hole in a stainless steel plate, you'd want a Screw Hole Punch. A neat little piece of tool that makes perfect holes with minimal effort. Now, to fit something marked DN32 you'd assume that you need a hole punch marked DN32, now wouldn't you? But no, because of the aforementioned I need a hole punch marked 1 5/8", wich is virtually impossible to get at prices that wouldn't double the budget for my still. 100 USD for a USED one is just to expensive for a single hole. On the other side, a DN32 hole punch costs 8-10 USD.

How difficult is it to get a single nice round hole punched in my boiler?
Always impatient. But learning.
freefall
Swill Maker

Re: Piping size confusion

Post by freefall »

get a bimetal or carbide hole saw. Also you are going to want to get a threaded coupling and solder it to you keg.
here is mine
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ ... solder.htm
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Thanks Freefall.

So thats' the magic word. Carbide hole saw was cheap and easy to get.
I have one ordered right now.

Soldering Stainless? Sounds like a difficult thing to do. I'll have to check the prices for that kind of equipment vs having it properly welded on.
As for now I'll be content with a screw fitting the same way you use in a water heater.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Silver soldering stainless is essentially the same as copper, so long as you have the correct flux. In this case Harris Stay-Brite Liquid flux or similar work very well. It's a straight forward process. Clean. Flux. Heat. Solder. Same as normal.

You might choose also to save yourself some time in the future by installing a 2" triclamp fitting instead of a threaded coupling. With an element to triclamp adapter it makes a very easy way to install an element. Handy if you need to clean or replace.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by rubelstrudel »

Expat:

I've seen other recommendations of the same sort. But sourcing equivalent flux and solder here up among the fjords has not been possible for me yet. Maybe it is easy. I just don't know what these materials are called here, and where I could buy them.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Expat wrote:Silver soldering stainless is essentially the same as copper, so long as you have the correct flux. In this case Harris Stay-Brite Liquid flux or similar work very well. It's a straight forward process. Clean. Flux. Heat. Solder. Same as normal.

You might choose also to save yourself some time in the future by installing a 2" triclamp fitting instead of a threaded coupling. With an element to triclamp adapter it makes a very easy way to install an element. Handy if you need to clean or replace.
+1
Expat:

I've seen other recommendations of the same sort. But sourcing equivalent flux and solder here up among the fjords has not been possible for me yet. Maybe it is easy. I just don't know what these materials are called here, and where I could buy them.
The flux is an acid. There are post on here for liquid flux alternatives. Do a Google search. I will give it a shot when I get a free moment. The solder needs to be a semi high temp solder. I can't give you much other help on that. Maybe someone else on here can chime in.

some linkys in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9168
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Thanks Freefall

It doesn't look like it is too difficult from the videos I found, if only I have the right tools and materials.
On the other hand. A weldless screw on tri clamp adapter should be equally good for my purposes I guess.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1-2-D ... 58394.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Any thoughts on that?

Come to think of it: The adapter shown could easily be soldered on/welded on if I decide later on, couldn't it?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

rubelstrudel wrote:Thanks Freefall

It doesn't look like it is too difficult from the videos I found, if only I have the right tools and materials.
On the other hand. A weldless screw on tri clamp adapter should be equally good for my purposes I guess.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1-2-D ... 58394.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Any thoughts on that?

Come to think of it: The adapter shown could easily be soldered on/welded on if I decide later on, couldn't it?
If you can get your hand in the boiler then go for it, might want to reconsider the gasket though or just wrap the one supplied with ptfe tape.

you can solder it though, here is a link to harris online, i know it's expensive.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Harris-Stay-Bri ... SwdjNZAb7o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I bought a small one, followed by an other small one and then said sodd it may as well get a proper bottle, still costly but should last you many builds
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stay-Clean-Sold ... Swt0FZBiPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

this is meant to work to, I've not used it but soem UK lads have and say it's as good as harris
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bakers-125ml-No ... SwYmZXI3dF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't be a dick
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Tack Swedish
Jeg skal undersøke disse nærmere.

My boiler is a huge big kettle with clamped lid. Getting into the boiler is the easy part.
Moving it around when full much more difficult.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I guess how you do the bulkhead is a personal choice. I prefer to build it and move on. So will go with solder. I would say not to try and solder threads but if you choose to solder later buy a fitting made for it. Don't forget ptfe only for gaskets. Even if it is just wrapping another material. Make your build safe. The point of the forum is to share knowledge and keeping everyone healthy is part of it. Keep the questions coming. Never be afraid to ask anything.
Simpo
Novice

Post by Simpo »

I have bought a weldless 1.5 in tri clamp ferrule from brewhardware. I haven’t use the boiler yet and haven’t torqued it to the keg..I dunno how the radius of the keg vs flat ferrule is going to work out but I’m pleased with the cheaper alternative than welding..although best would be tig weld, than solder vs weldless is up to you. 26$US ain’t too bad for a weldless ferrule.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If you are worried about the ferrule fit you can just cope it a bit to make it perfect. If have or can get a grinder or Dremel it's pretty easy.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Simpo wrote:I have bought a weldless 1.5 in tri clamp ferrule from brewhardware. I haven’t use the boiler yet and haven’t torqued it to the keg..I dunno how the radius of the keg vs flat ferrule is going to work out
Doesn't Bobby at Brewhardware offer a radiused 1.5" ferrule (and dimple kit)?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Simpo
Novice

Post by Simpo »

He does for the soldered ferrule.