Keg boiler/flute question

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Keg boiler/flute question

Post by NattyBoh »

Just got a free 13.2g keg in perfect conditioN. I currently run my 3 plate 4" flute with internal element on a 15.5g keg. My 1/2 barrel is pretty beat up so was wondering if there are any negatives to switching to the smaller keg? I usually run 12 gallon charges and would maybe go down to 10. Any issues with that size charge running through a 4" flute. Thanks.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Keg boiler/flute question

Post by still_stirrin »

...just the length of time you can run it. Less charge...less output, and that means quicker from start to finish.

A given heat input produces vapor at a nominal production rate. Your column/flute processes that vapor at that production rate. The size of the boiler has little to do with it, other than it will get to production temperature quicker because it holds less mass. But, you won't collect as long (per charge) either. So, if you use the same heating element (kW) at the same current (power), it will produce vapor at the same production rate (once it's at operating temperature).

Most distillers opt to increase boiler size because the greatest time to the process (proportionally) is bringing the boiler "online". But, if you can get it up and running quicker, then the whole process will be shorter, giving you opportunity to empty and recharge with a 2nd fill. If you scavenge heat from the 1st run to preheat the 2nd charge, the "change out" will be hastened too. Refer to NZCHris's processes for preheating (I believe Pikey also uses a preheater as well).

Gifted equipment (tools) is always nice. How you integrate them gives you great opportunity.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K