Upgrading My Boiler - The Way It Should Have Been!

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

zed255
Distiller

Re: Upgrading My Boiler - The Way It Should Have Been!

Post by zed255 »

I did much of the prep work and I have a neighbour who co-owns a custom stainless exhaust shop, so the actual welding was gratis for past and future neighbourly favours ;). I have enough practice with TIG welding that I do my own welding now, but he'd handle anything I was unsure of.

Costs? I really don't recall the exact numbers, but I can say the 6" parts and the heavy walled 3" ferrule were pricey. I have since seen cheaper sources. For example the 6" cap was around $80 CAD and the heavy 3" ferrule was about $45 CAD that I used to make the 6"-3" cap reducer. I recently found exactly this item ready made for about $55 CAD. The 6" ferrule and clamp were not too bad, they couldn't have been or the cost might have stuck in my mind. I also would likely not bother with the heavy walled 3" for the reducer if I were to build another as the standard wall thickness would have been plenty strong.

So, I get off really easy on the welding costs. No, wait, I bought a welder, cylinders, consumables... No, I paid more for welding than anyone :shock: , but the skill and experience is priceless :crazy: .

Sorry, no exact bill of materials and costs. The whole project has been a gradual evolution and very organic in nature.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Three legs is better than four on uneven surfaces.

And you could make a trolley with wheels (on adjustable legs) or just with adjustable height legs
but that would work with internal electric heating not with external heating.

I made a trolley from discarded four inch freezer panelling.
Cut a hole in the top and carefully made a shape in the little-white-balls-stuck together insulation to match the dome in the bottom of the keg.
(Mine doesn't have the squared-off 'shell', it was old and battered with a full 'shell' so we cut it off).

Geoff
The Baker
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Umm, my build is three legged with two adjustable, but thanks for the tip.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.