Dolly stand for my still. Do you think this would work?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dolly stand for my still. Do you think this would work?

Post by Nunyo »

My setup will use a 16 gallon milk can boiler with a 4" flute. I will be running a 5500 watt electric element. I'd like to be able to move my still around easily so I can roll it over to my fermentation barrels to fill it and then move it to the distillation spot. I also don't really want it sitting on the concrete floor as that may make the heating less efficient due to the cool concrete floor. Initially I was thinking of a drum dolly and then after digging, I found these planter dollies which are about perfect since my boiler is 16" diameter. The are also really inexpensive which is a bonus. These have 5 wheels and the dolly is rated to 500 pounds. I don't expect I will be anywhere near that weight when the still is full. My only concern was the fact that the dolly is plastic. That said, given the temps of the heated boiler, I don't think that will be an issue and I could always place some "Reflectix" insulation if heat was a concern. Anyhow, here is the dolly I am considering. Any feedback would be appreciated.
https://www.amazon.com/DeVault-DEV3000B ... B002TRWJLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
8182Fr1v3dL._SL1500_.jpg
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dolly stand for my still. Do you think this would work?

Post by Nunyo »

There is also this one which would work too. It's available in both 16" and 20" sizes. The 16" has 5 casters and the 20" has 6 casters.
This is the 16" one.
https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Stand-1841 ... 001F5UY3M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is the 20" one.
https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Stand-2041 ... 001F5POIW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
41Hqus3nhmL.jpg
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

They look fine. The six-wheeled one would provide a little more protection against tipping, as would a wider base. If you are worried about the heat, a layer of wood would be an excellent insulator and would look nicer too. Locking wheels might be a good idea too.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Should be ok if you insulate your boiler. Hell I don't see why people don't insulate their boiler anyway. It reduces start up time reduces the power used and it keeps you from burning yourself.
I would pick the one with the locking castor's so your boiler doesn't roll away. Then I would cut a 16"-20" (whichever size you pick) donut shape out of some plywood place it on the dolly first then set the insulated boiler on top of that. This should keep everything nice and cool while mobile.
Edit: badmo beat me to it
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

Badmotivator wrote:They look fine. The six-wheeled one would provide a little more protection against tipping, as would a wider base. If you are worried about the heat, a layer of wood would be an excellent insulator and would look nicer too. Locking wheels might be a good idea too.
Thanks Bad! The 20" one does have one locking wheel which is nice. I was kind of leaning towards the 20" one provided I can get a pan or something under the boilers drain valve so I can drain off the backset when that time comes. Worse case I could always get an extension for the valve but that's just more money to throw into the "pot". LOL I will take some measurements when I get home. I was definitely planning on insulating my boiler with Reflectix in an effort to make heating more efficient. Just wasn't sure about insulating the bottom but it looks like that would be a good choice as well.

By the way, I've read a number of your posts including the thread on your keg build and I must say, there is some great talent displayed in your efforts! Thanks for sharing that stuff here as well as for your contributions to this forum!
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

With my 26 gallon boiler I use an 8 wheel heavy-duty drum dolly. Yeah, it's waaaaay overkill, but I always tend to "over-engineer" everything anyway, so why should this be any exception. Needless to say, it is very stable.
Boiler1 (Small).jpg
Attachments
Flute_Still 001.JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

Euphoria wrote:With my 26 gallon boiler I use an 8 wheel heavy-duty drum dolly. Yeah, it's waaaaay overkill, but I always tend to "over-engineer" everything anyway, so why should this be any exception. Needless to say, it is very stable.
Boiler1 (Small).jpg
Very nice!! That is a sweet dolly. I saw those when looking at dolly's for my fermenting barrels. That dolly of yours is rated to around 2000 pounds if I am not mistaken! :esurprised:

Very nice setup too! I like the controller stand. That's a great idea. I have an old flat panel display rolling stand at my office that I just might re-purpose for my controller.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

"Very nice!! That is a sweet dolly. I saw those when looking at dolly's for my fermenting barrels. That dolly of yours is rated to around 2000 pounds if I am not mistaken!"

Good eye, and you are correct sir!
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan