Electric Autoclave

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

badflash
Swill Maker

Electric Autoclave

Post by badflash »

I'm seeing a bunch of electric autoclaves on EBay for around $175 US, shipping included. 18L, heater coil in the bottom, stainless steel. How hard is it to cut the top for a column? This looks pretty cost effective, but I've been into other money pits on other projects.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Re: Electric Autoclave

Post by butterpants »

A 175$ new electric autoclave is a gigantic hunk of shit and probably made from aluminum as well.

Quality American Sterilizer products start about 400$ for non heated units and go up to about 1000 for large heated units. These are not true autoclaves. A decent sized autoclave will set you back 5k easy.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

badflash,

I went to ebay and searched for what you’ve described, and I found a Chinese made 18-liter stainless steel dental autoclave for around $170-175 US. It is essentially a electric element (120VAC 2kW) heated pressure cooker. It does have a pressure relief valve and a pressure gage (both would be unnecessary for a boiler vessel).

But I would be apprehensive of the seal material, as that undoubtedly is a rubber compound...typically pressure vessel seals are.

Bottomline, the pressure cooker could work if you address the things necessary to convert to a boiler. One thing you will need to do is open up a port for the vapor discharge...neither the pressure gage or relief vent openings are big enough for still head attachment. And you’ve got to deal with the pressure seal...silicone doesn’t work.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

That is exactly what I was asking. I had not thought about the seal. I'm wondering how difficult it is to drill out a port for the column.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

badflash wrote:That is exactly what I was asking. I had not thought about the seal. I'm wondering how difficult it is to drill out a port for the column.
You could just go to your local Walmart and buy a 20 quart stainless steel stock pot for around $15-20 US. Then, get a box of small binder clips from the stationary department while you’re there (about $4 US).

And from your local big box/hardware store, get a 1-1/2” copper male pipe adapter and packing nut (about $12-15 US and $2.50US, respectfully). And you’ll be ready to start your build.

You simply don’t need a pressure cooker for a boiler...expensive and a waste of material ($$$).
ss
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

How do you seal the lid Doesn't it need a gasket?
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Never mind, I see the posts on sealing with flour paste. I will give that a shot. I will get a 10 gallon stock pot, silver solder the handle rivets, and get some clips.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

badflash wrote:How do you seal the lid Doesn't it need a gasket?
I simply wrap the edge of the pot with PTFE plumber's tape....a couple of wraps works great. The binder clips clamp the lid firmly onto the pot lip and that makes a fine seal. Slam...dunk! Cheap and easy.
ss
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

still_stirrin wrote:
badflash wrote:How do you seal the lid Doesn't it need a gasket?
I simply wrap the edge of the pot with PTFE plumber's tape....a couple of wraps works great. The binder clips clamp the lid firmly onto the pot lip and that makes a fine seal. Slam...dunk! Cheap and easy.
ss
I'm gunna try that, I have been using flour dough. Tape would be much less effort.

Geoff
The Baker