Advice on ferrel placement

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dcpac
Site Donor
Site Donor

Advice on ferrel placement

Post by dcpac »

I have read a lot of posts, but wanted to get some opinions before I go making any holes in my keg. I currently have a 6" and a 4" ferrel. My plan was to cut out the keg opening and install the 4" ferrel and then use a 4"x2' reducer to my column. The 6" I was going to put on the side for cleaning access. My column is going to be CCVM so I will be using this for both a reflux and pot. I also what the option of using gas so I don't think I want to flip it over and use the current opening as a drain. You advice is greatly appreciated.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Advice on ferrel placement

Post by still_stirrin »

It’ll work.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

The flip of the keg works great. I think it is best to attach the ferules first and then you can static test for leaks with water, which ever way you go sweat, braze, or weld. Cut the hole easy then. That's the way I do it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I would not put the 6" opening on the side but offset on the top. See the photo below of one of emptyglasses boilers.
image.jpeg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I was goign to give the same advice as bushman.
6" is handy for filling and getting your hand in to, I've 4" and wish I had a 6", fill port that is...
Don't be a dick
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

I'm modifying a keg for low wines and was contemplating flipping mine over as well so the 2" ferrule at the top could be used as a drain. I'd also like this to double as a boiler and being able to use propane if needed is a consideration that has me reluctant to flip the keg and weld a 4" ferrule on what would have been the bottom. It seems like it would be far safer to weld in a solid pipe to the bottom of the keg that would withstand the heat from propane. That said, I am curious if others have flipped their kegs and used them on propane. It seems to me that the 2" pipe would impact heating while also being an issue for the PTFE seal at the bottom of the keg if the keg were flipped and used with propane.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

slief wrote:I'm modifying a keg for low wines and was contemplating flipping mine over as well so the 2" ferrule at the top could be used as a drain. I'd also like this to double as a boiler and being able to use propane if needed is a consideration that has me reluctant to flip the keg and weld a 4" ferrule on what would have been the bottom. It seems like it would be far safer to weld in a solid pipe to the bottom of the keg that would withstand the heat from propane. That said, I am curious if others have flipped their kegs and used them on propane. It seems to me that the 2" pipe would impact heating while also being an issue for the PTFE seal at the bottom of the keg if the keg were flipped and used with propane.
If you flip it you won't want to use propane. Also having the fill port on the bottom you will probably need to raise it a bit with legs under it as well. The positive is I cut the 4" opening on the top taking out the 2" opening and the thickness on the top varies thus welding the ferrule on was a PITA.
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

Bushman wrote:
slief wrote:I'm modifying a keg for low wines and was contemplating flipping mine over as well so the 2" ferrule at the top could be used as a drain. I'd also like this to double as a boiler and being able to use propane if needed is a consideration that has me reluctant to flip the keg and weld a 4" ferrule on what would have been the bottom. It seems like it would be far safer to weld in a solid pipe to the bottom of the keg that would withstand the heat from propane. That said, I am curious if others have flipped their kegs and used them on propane. It seems to me that the 2" pipe would impact heating while also being an issue for the PTFE seal at the bottom of the keg if the keg were flipped and used with propane.
If you flip it you won't want to use propane. Also having the fill port on the bottom you will probably need to raise it a bit with legs under it as well. The positive is I cut the 4" opening on the top taking out the 2" opening and the thickness on the top varies thus welding the ferrule on was a PITA.
Yea, the tops on these kegs aren't smooth. They have that raised area which means more work welding. I was actually about to go to a local welding shop to get an estimate to put the 4" ferrule and a couple 2" ones in. If I flipped this keg and had the ferrule installed at the bottom, I'd just add some casters to raise it a bit so the existing ferrule could be used for the drain. The kind of casters with the single bolt that holds them in place and bolt them on via a hole drilled into the flange. I already have a 2" butterfly valve but that was going to go onto one of the 2" ferrules I had planned on installing.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Make sure you add a bit of water in the keg when welding to make it easier to clean. Also it is important that the ferrule is welded perpendicular so the column is vertical to prevent entrainment while doing runs.
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

Bushman wrote:Make sure you add a bit of water in the keg when welding to make it easier to clean. Also it is important that the ferrule is welded perpendicular so the column is vertical to prevent entrainment while doing runs.
Great bit of advice Bushman! Especially about adding water to the keg when welding. I never would have thought of that one and will ask the welding shop to do just that. My primary goal for this one is low wines but having it double as a 2nd boiler will be a bonus. As such, making sure the Ferrule is level will be critical. Thank you very much for the tips!