haha i got a free still spirits turbo 500

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

haha i got a free still spirits turbo 500

Post by Chauncey »

this mainly focuses on what i did with the boiler part, so i put it under boilers. feel free to place it anywhere else, sweet mods, you sweet, sweet mods. :P

ran it with the condenser once. then i promptly disassembled it. because its a piece of crap. tiny condenser thats inverted, synthetics, shit spirit, not versatile, the laughing stock of the hobby distilling world it is indeed. :sick: it was free though. :twisted: 8)

i had never run a reflux still before and while i fully understand how reflux works all the types of columns actual operation confuses me on paper. im a pot still whiskey guy anyway. so it was a learning experience on how a cooling management still works. pro #1

pro #2 - free electric boiler!,

the boiler is a 1600 watt one...i would like to get some kind of dimmer/pid/power control or make one if anyone has any suggestions.

now ive gone and built a 24" tall 1-1/2" column that connects with an NPT to their connector and some custom ptfe gaskets i made. I plan on using it for at home experimentation with new recipes when i dont wanna run my full 3 keg propane setup outdoors.

im gonna reassemble their crappy column and sell it on ebay or some shit for like 40 bucks with a shitload of warnings. or maybe ill just save the stainless tube for another project even though is 1-3/4" which is annoying imo. it flanges slightly and the actual threaded part is 1.5"

i am gonna make a BOK or one of the other types of reflux columns soon for both setups, maybe a CM since i have now ran one... and use the one i make for the coffee pot t500 to reflux high proof spirit for my medicinal cann... uh lets say herbal tinctures.

while i do know it isnt that useful, i did take 8 feet of 1/4" tubing and wrap the top half of the column externally with it. i plan to pack it and hopefully induce a very very small amount of reflux for a bit ABV boost. Im going to run the same washes with and without it and see how much it does affect things. i am also going to use a 1/6bbl keg i have to make a thumper for it. all in all for free, i cant complain about the boiler. the column, well i might use it if i got into the mouthwash business.

so yeah, got me an electric coffee pot-pot still that the SOH allows in the home.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: haha i got a free still spirits turbo 500

Post by Pikey »

Hi good to see someone taking one of these by the horns - keep the thread updated mate as you progress.

The Power controller is easy. I run a littleover 2kw @240 throughh one of these - although I never run it at full power. I just have it pugged into the wall 'til it's nearly up to speed then pull the plug from the wal and plug it into a socket built on an old drill case and containing something like this !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000W-110V- ... SwepJXa7fd

Two notes - that was just the first one I came across. SO look at a few.
2) - Everybody is calling these "SCR". THEY are not ! They have 2SCR's back to back built into something called a TRIAC ! - GRRR!

Anyhow rant over, hope to watch it grow ! 8)

[Edit - let us know how tthat extrerna coil goes as well ! I'm sometimes tempted by that idea too ! :) ]
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Pikey wrote: 2) - Everybody is calling these "SCR". THEY are not ! They have 2SCR's back to back built into something called a TRIAC ! - GRRR
LOL Pikey , I have the same issues with that .

Allmyex, good to see yo making use of that boiler
. I still use my still spirits electric boiler , it was only 1380W but very useful

And thanks for the "Sweet mod " suck job , we try our best :D , but I think you called it right for a boiler topic so far .
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

[img]https://pli.io/V284y.jpg
[/img]

https://pli.io/V284y.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

More pictures to come, as more mods have been done
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.