Ss scorching and heat corrosion

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Ss scorching and heat corrosion

Post by Alchemist75 »

So I've noticed that the bottom of my ss boiler has gotten a bit scorched from repeated heating which has only occurred on the inside and isn't a big deal but I have noticed also the appearance of what might be heat corrosion spots on both the inside and outside of the bottom of the boiler. They look like darker, greyish spots and only occur where the direct heating happens. How much of a problem is this really? There's no apparent rust or major pitting. Is there a way to protect the steel from this or is it just the nature of the material?
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Spiritospopcorn
Novice

Re: Ss scorching and heat corrosion

Post by Spiritospopcorn »

Hi there, I don't think it will cause you any grief but if it bothers you how it looks welding suppliers do an acid gel that will remove it. You dollop it on with a brush and rinse it off. That said it is extremely corrosive and safety precautions should be a taken and also making sure it's fully removed afterwards too. I would give it a rinse with bicarb afterwards too.
I love not man the less but nature more
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I've been using stainless steel pots for years this happens it's no big deal an will not affect the taste. And I definitely don't think that you should use acid to clean it. Just my two cents.
Spiritospopcorn
Novice

Post by Spiritospopcorn »

That's fair enuf. I used to do a but of weldind and find it very satisfying to polish the S\S up to finish off the job. I will agree it is NOT required for function. Purely aesthetic.
I love not man the less but nature more