Question on boiler size

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Question on boiler size

Post by Fiddleford »

So The site makes it very clear that no one want's anything more then 30 gallons, On this site. Now I'm Canadian and at risk of sounding ignorant this rule applies to the system the US uses and not Canada, If I where to make a 30 gallon still in my measurements it would be 36 gallons in the measurements that are used in the states and I view that as the 30 gallon rule is applied in that unit of measurement to my knowledge correct me if I'm wrong. now I won't likely actually make 30 gallon still I have a burner that could fuel that but that's ALOT of still for me. Maybe one day but as of now.. damn now I'm thinking of a bigger still :problem: . 5 or 10 gals is good enough for me. I'm just curious and that's been kicking around in my head a while.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Question on boiler size

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Seeing as how this site is based in the US I think its fairly obvious that we need to play by their rules when it comes to measurements.....same applies to other forums based in other countries.
For what its worth its not just your country that is effected all Commonwealth countries use Imp gallons.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Seeing as how this site is based in the US I think its fairly obvious that we need to play by their rules when it comes to measurements.....same applies to other forums based in other countries.
For what its worth its not just your country that is effected all Commonwealth countries use Imp gallons.
Thank you for clarifying that SB. As obvious as it seem's the thought buged me like a black fly.
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

To be fair, the number was 25 gallons. We changed it to 30 to accommodate this very issue. Now we're saying 30 needs to be 36. Its a round and round, huh?

Nobody asked that you show pictures of your boiler specs. It's only written that you keep anything over that limit off this site. There's got to be a line somewhere. 30 gallons, as it measures in the states, is that line.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

+1, we changed from 25 to 30 to accommodate some metric countries that said it measures about 26 gallons I believe. As a hobby you can easily make more than you can consume on a 15.5 gallon keg. Also we are not telling you the limit you can build we are just saying for discussion purposes we don't go over 30 gallons on this forum as it gives the impression that a large still is used for more than personal use.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

And I’ll append this:
.....unless you’re a commercial distiller, in which case you should post your DSP distiller’s permit number so the forum readers know you’re legal to produce (and you pay the taxes the government requires for the products you sell).

Since the community here includes hobbiests and commercial producers alike, we have threads which discuss all sizes of boilers and methods of distillation. It adds value to our knowledge base, so it is welcomed. But when talking about large scale operations, it is advisable to post the license to know that we’re not promoting illegal operations. That would be counter-productive to the objectives of this site: to be educational and promote safety in our hobby.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

SS Wrote'
But when talking about large scale operations, it is advisable to post the license to know that we’re not promoting illegal operations. That would be counter-productive to the objectives of this site: to be educational and promote safety in our hobby.
ss
Agree with SS as his posts are always pointed and very insightful.

Just to be clear to anyone that may be new or unsure. Other than the licensed folks, distilling alcohol is "ILLEGAL" for the hobby enthusiast regardless of the boiler size. Hence the advise to be very discreet in your operations and conversations. Be Safe, Have Fun, Enjoy the Journey...……..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Legal for hobbiests in New Zealand and MAYBE some other places.

Note that say in USA and Australia and maybe elsewhere Federal law (prohibiting it) over-rules state laws.

Geoff
The Baker
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

It's your story . Tell it in a way that reflects that you wish to continue posting here . :)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

+1 TB . I think the swede's (?) signature says it... Don't be a dick.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Sorry on the late reply, now that I have read over how I stated it sounded quite rude, I should fix what I meant. What I was saying is I could to only bring about 25 gallons in metric, which is 30 gallons in imperial to my knowledge. Just to be safe I'll stick to 30 gals imperial, I am now thinking of the bigger still. I'm a fellow hobbyist and may dream of a commercial distillery but to many regulations.
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

As someone who jumped in head first and started with a 30 gallon unit, I can tell you it’s way more than I will ever need. I’ll admit it may not have been the best way to start out. I’m still in experiment phase of trying different recipes. And trying to make 25-30 gallon recipes isn’t exactly cheap. I also see more challenges down the road when I start getting into all grain mashes and not solely relying on sugar. It’s a lot easier and cheaper to mash grain in a fairly inexpensive cooler if your goal is 10-15 gallons. I’m still wrestling with how I want to begin mashing grain. And then, it’s normally good to ferment enough to do 2-3 low wine distillations so you can then do a spirit run. That’s another challenge in itself trying to figure out how to mash in that kind of quantity and the costs associated with it all. If I had it to do over, I probably would have save a few dollars and gone with a smaller size, but you live and learn and then improvise
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Flint,

You don't necessarily have to fill the boiler in order to operate it and make good product. I'm thinking you could do the same batch size as the folks using keg stills then when you settle on the recipe you like you still have the capacity to do 30 gallons and fill an oak barrel for aging. YMMV :eugeek:
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

WIski wrote:Flint,

You don't necessarily have to fill the boiler in order to operate it and make good product. I'm thinking you could do the same batch size as the folks using keg stills then when you settle on the recipe you like you still have the capacity to do 30 gallons and fill an oak barrel for aging. YMMV :eugeek:
You are correct. Though I haven’t tested it, I should be able to go as small as a 10 gallon batch and not have to worry about burning up the coil.

If you wanted to do a low wine and spirit run, I would think you’d have to do multiple small batches of low wines or have a second smaller still to make it work?
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

FlintHills wrote:

You are correct. Though I haven’t tested it, I should be able to go as small as a 10 gallon batch and not have to worry about burning up the coil.

If you wanted to do a low wine and spirit run, I would think you’d have to do multiple small batches of low wines or have a second smaller still to make it work?
The other option would be to get a keg for a boiler, I assume that you could put your head onto a keg as easily as putting it on the 30gal.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:
FlintHills wrote:

The other option would be to get a keg for a boiler, I assume that you could put your head onto a keg as easily as putting it on the 30gal.
Yes I could, I’d just have to get a reducer and a keg. But that’s a solid option as well
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

If you are interested I believe I have an extra keg