Heat Exchangers for improving efficiency..

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bearpig
Novice

Heat Exchangers for improving efficiency..

Post by Bearpig »

Backpacking stoves with heat exchangers and insulation (like the MSR Reactor) have demonstrated up to 50% improved fuel efficiency. I realize that we're not likely to get results like that with a DIY job, but even a 15-20% improvement could save you thousands on fuel in the long run (and fewer runs to get tanks refilled).

Has anyone experimented with anything like this on the bottom of their boiler?
msr_heatex.jpg
P1050602.jpg
MSR_Windburner_vs_Jetboil_Sumo_Airflow.jpg
IMG_7492[1].JPG
DSC09804.JPG

I already have a burner shroud like this, but I'm wondering if I extended the shroud up further and had a heat exchanger on the bottom of the boiler if it would significantly improve fuel efficiency.
A simple heat exchanger could be made from pieces cut from SS sheet, arranged on the bottom of the boiler via a template, and welded on. It would be time consuming but you could probably get it done in an afternoon.
Shroud.jpg
Thoughts?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Heat Exchangers for improving efficiency..

Post by Yummyrum »

I totally think something like that has gotta help . . Especially on small bottom boilers like kegs .

The more contact time between flame and metal surface area the better . A large flat bottom might achieve the same ability to transfer the heat but if a small size boiler bottom is all you got then thats got to help get the most efficient extraction of heat from flame before it all goes up the sides and is lost .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Heat Exchangers for improving efficiency..

Post by The Baker »

Yummyrum wrote:I totally think something like that has gotta help . . Especially on small bottom boilers like kegs .

The more contact time between flame and metal surface area the better . A large flat bottom might achieve the same ability to transfer the heat but if a small size boiler bottom is all you got then thats got to help get the most efficient extraction of heat from flame before it all goes up the sides and is lost .
And a shroud keeps the cool wind and the cool air away. Geoff
The Baker