Yeast Brink Boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeast Brink Boiler

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I was just surfing the internets for stainless fittings and stumbled upon this:
https://www.abs-commercial.com/12-BBL-K ... _2348.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Seems like there a few sellers of these at various price points, but for someone just starting out with limited building skills this might be a good start for a boiler.

Be safe
OVZ
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Re: Yeast Brink Boiler

Post by metalsmith »

Oldvine Zin wrote:I was just surfing the internets for stainless fittings and stumbled upon this:
https://www.abs-commercial.com/12-BBL-K ... _2348.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Seems like there a few sellers of these at various price points, but for someone just starting out with limited building skills this might be a good start for a boiler.

Be safe
OVZ
Very nice at a good price point. A week late for me, I spent big bucks on a second boiler!
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Not a bad price. Just take note that those TriClamp connections are 1-1/2" ... not 2". That's the only drawback in my opinion. I could deal with 1-1/2" for the drain, but if you need 2" for a column then you'll have to buy a new TriClamp reducer.

I've found kegs really cheap on Craig's List before. A few bucks for fittings. A little time with a hole saw & drill, grind and deburr the edges and then a few bucks to have the parts tig welded for me. That will save you a good deal of money.

Many don't want to fool with doing it themself. In that case, I think you found a decent deal. I've always enjoyed doing it myself. I really wish I had a tig welder though.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NineInchNails wrote: Just take note that those TriClamp connections are 1-1/2" ... not 2"
But the top port is 4" with a 1-1/2" adapter so it's just a matter of buying a 4" to 2" adapter. I'm actually going to think hard on this one because I'd really like a 4 inch opening. There is also an advantage to 1.5", especially to someone just starting out. I use 1.5" for my pot still because the price of the pipe is 1/4 the price of 2" and the price of fittings is considerable less than that and for pot stilling it works just as good as 2".
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1, cranky. Very well said.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

cranky wrote:
NineInchNails wrote: Just take note that those TriClamp connections are 1-1/2" ... not 2"
But the top port is 4" with a 1-1/2" adapter so it's just a matter of buying a 4" to 2" adapter. I'm actually going to think hard on this one because I'd really like a 4 inch opening. There is also an advantage to 1.5", especially to someone just starting out. I use 1.5" for my pot still because the price of the pipe is 1/4 the price of 2" and the price of fittings is considerable less than that and for pot stilling it works just as good as 2".
Yes, that's why I said:
if you need 2" for a column then you'll have to buy a new TriClamp reducer.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Or you could just put a 4" flute on it and call it done

OVZ
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

I stumbled upon this older thread and was curious if anyone has purchased this specific unit or another Yeast Brink Tank (all appear to be very similar) and made a successful go of it?

The original poster posted a link and it does appear to one of the best priced Yeast Brink Tanks online, if you are in the US.

Its basically a standard keg but it has 2 slight advantages with the larger 4" inch TC at the top and 1 already pre-installed 1.5" TC port at the bottom.
YeastBrinkTank.png
The cost with shipping is around $260 or so for my Zip Code, which is a hefty bit more than just buying a used beer keg. I figure a guy would at minimum have to add another 2" TC port for the heater at the bottom so just guesstimating... another $15 for ferrule and $30-40 for the welding?

Probably around $300 in to get it into a usable state, but then another $30-60 for a 4" TC to 2" TC reducer as my column is 2" inch.

So now we are talking about $375 just for the sake of simple calculations.

For this same kind money one could basically just buy about the same equivalent typical 13 gallon "milk can style" boiler with the TC ports already installed/ possibly additional as well.

Does anyone see the value in going the Yeast Brink Tank route for some distinct advantage?

Thank you kindly for any opinions on that thought.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

I've thought about doing this since I saw a yeast brink at my friend's brewery. If it's in your budget, there's no reason not to. But they aren't cheap compared to finding a used keg and putting on a 4 in triclamp. If I wanted to spend $260-300 on a boiler that didn't already have triclamps in the side for elements, I'd just invest in a decent off the shelf larger boiler with all the stuff on it. It's probably cheaper to find a keg on Craigslist and have someone weld the parts on.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Yes, agree

I guess one advantage to having a beer keg style still or Yeast Tank is that I could probably have the thing laying around in my garage and not many would be wise to it's purpose. Just looks like an empty beer keg vs. the milk can style boilers very distinctively look like they have a specialized purpose.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

The first thing I did was put a 4” TC on my keg. I can fill through it easily and it makes cleaning easier. I can reach my arm all the way to the bottom. I use a 4” to 2” concentric reducer on top of it.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Fwiw i use 1.5" triclamps for heating elements. I found 3,5kW elements with 1.5" fittings.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Thanks for the replies guys

Yes, I have seen 1.5 heating elements. That particular rig mentioned here in the post would have (1) 1.5 TC at the bottom that could be used for the heater. I prefer a second TC for the drain but I suppose that one could make do if they had too.

Been doing quite a bit of reading about building a keg boiler. I am thinking at this point, that buying a keg, new or used, and then just cutting it up to the way I want it might be the best overall route. I currently have an 8 gallon that is very pretty and works well, but looking towards the future.

I only considered TIG welding the TC ports on before and didn't realize that soldering was thing, on such as thing. :wink:

Although, I do have experience brazing and soldering, I somehow think that the welding would be stronger. I don't own a welding machine, been wanting to get one for years and learn, so got to take into account paying the man to do it right or buying the welding machine as time allows and gaining a new skill.

Interesting thread either way, I am not a brewer so never heard of the Yeast Brink Tank until recently.

BTW --> Why is it so hard to locate a fair to nice used keg? looked on craigslist and a few other classifieds in my local area and NADA! e bay or ama seem to be the only sources for either new or pretty rough used? What's the secret, ask the guy at the likker store?