Help fixing a keg factory ferrule pressure leak

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Help fixing a keg factory ferrule pressure leak

Post by OtisT »

Howdy builders. I am having a problem getting a good seal where my column’s 2” ferrule attaches to the 2” factory ferrule on a keg boiler. I have no problems stilling and thumping at normal pressure but under some pressure or vacuum that specific seal leaks.

I have tried a silicone gasket and a PTFE gasket, both with one of the ridges shaved off for a flat edge on the keg side. I have also made sure the ferrules remain square with each other (those tend to float out of alignment as the tri-clamp is tightened.)

I believe the issue is with the sanke valve cutouts on the face, making two narrow spaces on the ferrule face.

My current thought is to TIG weld filler into those two gaps in the face of the ferrule then grinding that spot flat for the gasket. Before I go welding on my keg I thought I would throw this problem out there to see if there is a simpler resolution to my dilema.

My fallback plan, if I totally hose the factory ferrule, is to cut that ferrule out and putting a 4” in, then use a 4” to 2”reducing plate.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Help fixing a keg factory ferrule pressure leak

Post by corene1 »

Sometimes if I don't get a really good seal using the PTFE gasket I will take and wrap the gasket with a couple of layers of PTFE tape and build up a softer outer layer that will fill in the small gaps . If you weld up the face of the ferrule how will you resurface it? Could make it worse. If you have the ability to weld it I would just put that brand new 4 inch one on. That would also make your boiler more adaptable to different style columns in the future.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Before you replace replace the fittings, you might consider wrapping the shaved PTFE gasket with PTFE tape. Helps to close up any little gaps by having something that squeezes into the gaps. Its helped me in the past.

Edit: scooped by Corene :)

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by OtisT »

Thanks Corena and Expat. I will try the wrapped gasket. I sure go through a lot of that PTFE tape. Good thing I have half a dozen roles sitting all over the place. :thumbup:

Corena, I’m way more confident in my grinding/filing skills than I am with my TIG skills, so unless I totally screw up the welding, I am confident I can make a flat surface of it.

As to the method, I would start with a small bit of stainless scrap that just fills each gap and use a series of tack welds to fill things in well. Then I would grind any high spots close (if necessary) then hand file a flat plane. Follow that with some sanding using progressively finer sand paper, down to a polished surface. Shizam!

Otis
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Hey OtisT... I have a factory Sankey keg to a 2" ferrule... I have ground off one side one the PTFE gasket, but the "cheap" clamps don't fit the Sankey real well, as far as alignment... remedy was to use a cork gasket, 1/16 thick, it seals, and is reusable.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hey Otis , any chance of a pic . Not quite sure where on this factory ferrule you are talking about .Pics work better than words for me
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

BlackStrap, that is a good point about the clamp not fitting properly. I’ll pick up one of those three part tri-clamps next time I’m out parts shopping.

YummyRum, here is your pic of a 2” ferrule on a keg made for a sanke valve.
keg ferrule for a sanke valve
keg ferrule for a sanke valve
Note the groove in the foreground and on the opposite side that is causing my issue. That gap is what I’m thinking of filling so there is more surface under the gasket.

Otis
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

Otis
I'm to lazy to wrap my gaskets every time I want to use them :oops:
so in a fit of misplaced aggression I cut off just the ring on the sanke keg
and, not flared but, tapped to fit in a 2 inch triclamp ferrule and then soft soldered it for a seal
it has worked great for me :)

Bronctoad
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sit the whole thing together, put three or four wraps of PTFE tape around it then clamp it up ....should stop any leaks.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I usually wrap the sanke ferrule and the other ferrule with PTFE tape and use a one ridge removed gasket
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I'd just chop off that sanke thingy and put a proper 4" ferrule on it, the other ferrule that you welded in dosen't leak. A little more work but less tef tape in your future. Also the more you tig the better you will get at it.

OVZ
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Are you absolutely positive that you tightened the clamp enough? Give it a pretty good crank even if it means using a tool.

I had a very slight warp in some of my welded ferrules and PTFE gaskets leaked bad even when cranked extremely tight. I switched over to platinum cured silicone gaskets and it worked perfectly because they are flexible. I understand you also tried silicone gaskets too, but be sure you crank them tight before giving up on them. Even over tighten just to say that you've tried everything you could. Try tapping on the sides of the clamps with a hammer as you are tightening and it should help. I know this is not 'ideal' but give it a try just to see what happens. I always prefer TriClamp fittings that can be sealed with the gasket & clamp with one hand to tighten it.

Maybe try setting your ferrule on a perfectly flat surface and see if it is warped at all.

I test by filling my column with water. I figure if it doesn't leak with that much pressure then I shouldn't have to test at higher pressure.