OKOVIT MECCANO

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rochdaleguy
Novice

OKOVIT MECCANO

Post by Rochdaleguy »

Hi,

Has anyone heard of this boiler / still?
Can’t find any reviews or youtube etc.

What do you feel is right or wrong with it?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3768330773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It’s hard in UK to find a decent cheap boiler. Although I have a 50ltr keg arriving soon but still needs modifications etc
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: OKOVIT MECCANO

Post by Yummyrum »

Just my opinions .
That package is interesting . There is a 3 phase element shown if I’m not mistaken . So I’m a little confused as to how it would be connected . If all three were in parallel then that would draw more current than a typical outlet can supply. Maybe they are series connected. ..... that would make it a kind of Ultra low density element setup but the power would be rediculously slow I’d guess for heatups and stripping runs , maybe OK for spirit run though .

Now the controller is called a temperature Regulator and as it has an attached thermometer , it would indeed appear that this is what it is . However , temperature regulators are absolutely useless n distilling and what should be used is a “power regulator” its simply the wrong tool for the job .

Now the lid . The clamped on lid looks like it would be great for cleaning if you needed to get in there but unfortunately the manufacturer mentions ( on one of the various sites I had to google to get some details) that the gasket is food grade silicone . That material is not approved on this forum for use in stills .... but it could be swapped out to a teflon gasket or wrapped in teflon tape .

From my own experience I found I soon needed a bigger boiler than 30liters and get a 50 liter keg .

Seeing you already have a keg on its way then I would suggest just tricking it up yourself . No point spending money on that other rover. Ebay boiler when you will end up with the wrong type of element and controller .
Just buy the right bits to make your keg work. Hell , just stick a gas ring under it . Thats worked fo me . :thumbup:
Job done , no need to drill holes or play with wires .

And I’ve survived quite well for many years with a 2” hole in my keg . Have ‘t needed to have a big hole in mine yet .
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: OKOVIT MECCANO

Post by Pikey »

Yummy makes some good points, but £200 for a pot - without an element @ 30 litres ?

You can get a second hand tea urn at 25 litres around £60 (Which already has the heaters fitted) and a cheap power controller off the bay for about a tenner.

I don't know whether you know which way round to hold a spanner or not (which does make a difference) - but I'd not be buying that !