Kegs in Australia

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

alice
Swill Maker

Re: Kegs in Australia

Post by alice »

Outside just about any pub. No big deal, publicans don't pay for missing ones so they don't get all sentimental if someone nicks one.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Dump recycle shops. Get to know the foreman.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

If the dump shop doesn't have any (or any good ones), just go back every 3-4 weeks and become a familiar face. Tell them you want them for brewing beer.

Also, don't be put off one just because it is filthy on the outside, they are often very clean on the inside, especially if they still have the valve in and only have old beer in them. Even if they are dirty inside, stainless can be almost always be cleaned up very well with hot water and sodium hydroxide (ie drain cleaner from the supermarket/hardware store).

Make sure you remove the valve safely, it can seriously hurt you if you do it wrong. There is a thread or two here about how to do it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

HookLine wrote:If the dump shop doesn't have any (or any good ones), just go back every 3-4 weeks and become a familiar face. Tell them you want them for brewing beer.

Also, don't be put off one just because it is filthy on the outside, they are often very clean on the inside, especially if they still have the valve in and only have old beer in them. Even if they are dirty inside, stainless can be almost always be cleaned up very well with hot water and sodium hydroxide (ie drain cleaner from the supermarket/hardware store).

Make sure you remove the valve safely, it can seriously hurt you if you do it wrong. There is a thread or two here about how to do it.

There are several threads but this is one: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=7153
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

hey if your in vic i can supply you with as many as you like for a small fee :P say $10 a pop i work in a pub and for $20 i'll even remove the valve
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
scotsman
Novice

Post by scotsman »

Hey absinthe, Im in vic and interested in a keg or two. :D Where abouts in vic are you?
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I was just in Mansfield, Vic. I went to two scrapyards and they were everywhere. There was even an older style tooheys one (it's narrower than the standard CUB kegs but it is taller), I didn't get it because I already have limited space in my garage. I am kicking myself now though.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

scotsman wrote:Hey absinthe, Im in vic and interested in a keg or two. :D Where abouts in vic are you?
I think I can get a few,there are bloody hundreds where I work now :wink: