Sizing a Boiler and where to place the element

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Sizing a Boiler and where to place the element

Post by Andrew_90 »

I am trying to establish the size of my next boiler. But before I can do this I need to get an idea of the volumes involved what distills off and what stays behind to cover the internal element. The stripping runs are easy as there will always be sufficient liquid retained, it is the spirit run that concerns me.

Currently I have a 30l SS Keg as the boiler for my pot still, which I load to 25l and on my first stripping run delivered circa 5l of low wines at 40%, cutback a little with water I get 5.7l at 35% to be safe.

So in this 5.7l, how much spirit will that deliver approximately? Assuming I get 90% ABV output from the spirit run. I suppose it is not an easy formula or is it? 5.75l x (35% ABV in the Low Wines x 90% Yield) = 1.8l If this is correct I would be left with circa 4l liquid from each batch of low wines.

If I loaded with 4 batches each of 5.75l that would leave 16l of liquid in the boiler, enough to cover the element and I would be good to go. Alternately I could use my gas burner and not worry about the element coverage.

Or is my reasoning totally off base?

I need to apply this thinking to a 130l copper geyser I have, the geyser is a horizontal one so the element protrudes rather far in and I do not think this is going to work when the geyser is turned to the vertical. I need to make modifications as I want to remove the in and outflow pipes which are unsightly and that would tidy up the still a little. I am loathed to waste all this capacity and copper as it would be great for stripping runs but useless for spirit runs, unless of course I move the heating source to the outside of the boiler. I have one go at this so need to get it right.

How many distillers, if any, have a much smaller still for the spirit run. I am keen to have copper and not SS on the spirit run.

Oh the final goal is to make whisky once I have some competence in sugar and other washes and can produce some palatable goodness.

Any suggestions.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sizing a Boiler and where to place the element

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Do you have some pictures?

General guidelines are to strip 3-4 charges of low wines then fill the boiler with that for your spirit run at a max abv of 40%.

Are you trying to do something different?

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 am I need to apply this thinking to a 130l copper geyser I have,
Andrew read rule I
In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site. Legal distillers can talk about larger boilers in the Craft Distiller forums. #
DB35F5AD-9547-4B5F-B222-6F2484580CDE.png
130 liters is too big to discuss here .
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 am The stripping runs are easy as there will always be sufficient liquid retained, it is the spirit run that concerns me.
Multiple stripping runs is the answer. Ferment more. Strip more. You'll have enough low wines that you don't need to dilute and you'll have more (and better cut) product to show for it.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I had read rule 1 but probably was not clear in my intentions.

130l is way to big for me hence the title of sizing the boiler. I probably was not clear in that I wish to remove a part of the geyser, my post is a little ambiguous. apologies for that.

I just am unsure as to how much volume reduction happens in spirit run process, when I know that I can size the boiler. I am hoping to aim for the 70l mark that I will cut the geyser back to.

Hopefully this does not break the rules.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I'd turn it vertical, and place a new element port on the side as low as possible. If vertical, is the diameter sufficient for an element?...maybe 2?