Trouble sealing the immersion heater inlet

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chilimies
Novice

Trouble sealing the immersion heater inlet

Post by chilimies »

Do you have any advice as to how I should fix this problem? I can't make the seal tight since the boiler has a concave wall. I'm using a ptfe-cardboard gasket that is pressed against the boiler wall using a 2" nut. I made a drawing to emphasize the problem.
Photo 19.12.2020, 13.33.05.jpg
Photo 19.12.2020, 13.33.42.jpg
poista.png
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Trouble sealing the immersion heater inlet

Post by StillerBoy »

If I were in your shoes, I would made a gasket from teflon material itself, with tape wrapped, one on both sides, put the muscle to it (not being afraid to tighten).. cardboard material is to soft in my view for the task.. and the hole looks a bit oversize..

Here in NA, most are either soldered or welled..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hi, the first thing that comes to mind is the expanded Teflon layer which has a high thickness and can be wrapped several times. Look https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=80485
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i pondered the same problem when i was thinking about installing an element in my 300mm dia boiler.
i looked at compression fittings etc etc. but never found a suitable gasket.

as you are in there, i would try and wind a shed load of ptfe tape onto a suitably sized gasket.
but i would really concentrate on building up 2 opposing sides on the circle so you achieve a shape that fits the boiler wall and the nut.
maybe even do the same for the outside of the boiler.
good luck
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Put a sledgehammer on the inside of the hole, then whack the outside with a hammer to flatten it out

Bit of a panel beating job!

Regards
ErnieV
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Would it be easier to solder or braize in a 1.5 or 2" ss ferrule?
What I'm planning when I pull the trigger to go electric.
Good luck.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Get one of these:

And a 2” (2” pipe OD) ferrule, T/C clamp and teflon gasket.

Better solution. Much more robust, ie - less maintenance.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That's exactly what I would do. Plug that hole with a flat (curved) sheet (assuming it is oversized), and solder on a flange. Either pull a dimple or use one of the radius faced ones ala:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ ... ool2tc.htm
or
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc2rsf.htm
chilimies
Novice

Post by chilimies »

Guys I got it... for now. It's the cheap charlie solution and possibly what Stillerboy recommended(?)

I don't know why I was fixated on using a proper gasket on it rather than just using the ptfe-tape. I wrapped a thick layer of tape on to the base of the element so that the sealing area became quite wide and thick. The seal is sort of located on the outside of the boiler and the nut on the inside. Hand tightened and it hasn't leaked for hours. Yellow color here marks the spot where I rolled bunch of tape.
Photo 19.12.2020, 13.33.422.jpg
So I fired the element up for the very first time now and am afraid to pull it out until the water has cooled down. It says you must have it submerged in water at all times using it. Can I drain the boiler out of water when the element is still hot but unplugged from wall?

I have to look into your recommendations for a more permanent hassle free solution in the future. I'm trying to stay away from the tri clamp systems because I can only get them from China and I'm quite stubborn on not using anything on the still that is chinese. Maybe I will just solder a 2" fitting on the outside.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

chilimies wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm Hand tightened and it hasn't leaked for hours.
That not good enough, requires it to be tighten very good..

chilimies wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm Can I drain the boiler out of water when the element is still hot but unplugged from wall?
That's not an issue as long as no power it going to it.. otherwise, you require to purchase another element..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

If you have the option to weld, then that's your best bet. As for Chinese stuff ..... I have seen a lot of Chinese stuff on seemingly non-Chinese online sites. Everything is in the right choice and where you are ... because you don't always have a shop at hand (certainly not me).
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

chilimies wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm Guys I got it... for now. It's the cheap charlie solution and possibly what Stillerboy recommended(?)

I wrapped a thick layer of tape on to the base of the element so that the sealing area became quite wide and thick. The seal is sort of located on the outside of the boiler and the nut on the inside. Hand tightened and it hasn't leaked for hours.
Sounds like the bigger the glob, the better the job
I've taken that option before :lol:

chilimies wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm I have to look into your recommendations for a more permanent hassle free solution in the future. I'm trying to stay away from the tri clamp systems ..... Maybe I will just solder a 2" fitting on the outside.
That's one option
Another would be to make a pair of copper washers that are contoured to fit the round sides
And have a flat surface for the element and SS nut.
chilimies
Novice

Post by chilimies »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:06 pm That not good enough, requires it to be tighten very good..

That's not an issue as long as no power it going to it.. otherwise, you require to purchase another element..

Mars
Thanks. I will make some kind of wrench to tighten it.