Looking for boiler input

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

30xs
Swill Maker

Looking for boiler input

Post by 30xs »

I wound up getting a full barrel keg to turn into my boiler. Before I start poking holes I figured I would try to get some input from the group to see if there is anything that I’d want to add now before it goes under the TIG.

First off it’s 33 gallon, but with headspace we can call it 30 gallon or less. Diameter is about 21” and height is around 25”. It has a 4” ferrule on top and a 1.5” drain about two inches off the bottom. I plan to add a couple 2” ferrules in the 3-4” range off the bottom, cutting the ferrules to have them run semi parallel. I could go a little lower if it’s a benefit other than volume, I have a smaller boiler for lesser charges. I plan a 2” fill port on top.

I’m building a controller box that will run each element independently. A DSPR1 to one element for variable control and a DSPR400 for the other element that allows both PID and variable control. The only reason I’d use the PID would be for something like butter rum to hold temp for a couple hours and then distill the next day. I’d like to install a 1/2” NPT for PID sensor and possible boiler thermometer. Should this be mid boiler level?

Being my last boiler build is there anything that I’m missing that I should add?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Looking for boiler input

Post by The Baker »

That's huge.

Half as big again as my 18 Imperial gallon keg. (81 litres).

I have turned mine upside down to use the ferrule as a modular drain connexion. (And put a four inch ferrule in the top).

You have a ferrule low down, can you use that one and a half inch fitting for an element or is it too small?

Geoff
The Baker
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

The Baker wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:01 pm That's huge.

Half as big again as my 18 Imperial gallon keg. (81 litres).

I have turned mine upside down to use the ferrule as a modular drain connexion. (And put a four inch ferrule in the top).

You have a ferrule low down, can you use that one and a half inch fitting for an element or is it too small?

Geoff
This one already had a 4” top and 1.5” drain when ordered. Here’s the link to give you an idea of what I’m working with.
https://www.gwkent.com/33-gallon-keg.html

I’m just wanting to try and build in everything that I might want on the first go round. Handles would be nice for moving it about.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

There you go.

Should be good.

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd put a 1-1/2 or 2" drain on the very bottom.
Use the "1.5” drain about two inches off the bottom" for a heating element.
Add another heating element that's 3"-4" higher and 90 degrees from the first heater.
And put in a 4" fill port.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

With such impressive volume, it would be really handy to have a thermometer to tell you how far/close the still charge is to coming online or your internal temp on extended heat-ups.

That and some wheels to roll that beast around on!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Was going to suggest wheels but TB beat me to it.
Put caster wheels on mine not long ago......makes setting up so easy.....best thing Ive done in a long time.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

shadylane wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:37 pm I'd put a 1-1/2 or 2" drain on the very bottom.
Use the "1.5” drain about two inches off the bottom" for a heating element.
Add another heating element that's 3"-4" higher and 90 degrees from the first heater.
And put in a 4" fill port.
With the current wheel setup I have getting a bottoms drain would be a hassle, and the bottom ring doesn’t have much clearance to allow for a drain. I’ll look again when I get home.

I could install both elements at 2” off bottom running them semi-parallel. Is there a benefit of having 90* elements at two heights vs both on the same level? I’ll look at the 4” fill port. The funnel I currently use sets in a 2” nicely, but I can see the 4” being handy at times.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Anything Ive ever seen on any forum that has any idea indicates that the lower you get your elements the better and having two at the same level isn't really a problem if you have room to do that and they don't touch.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:09 am Anything Ive ever seen on any forum that has any idea indicates that the lower you get your elements the better and having two at the same level isn't really a problem if you have room to do that and they don't touch.
Thanks, Bill. I’ve coped out a couple ferrules to get them side by side without any issues. Now it’s time to decide if I need a fill port larger than 2”, and if I want a upper window.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would suggest to make the fill port as big as you could. I am preparing to build mine about the same size. And I am looking at a 12” fill clean out on top. After haveing a small fill port on my old one. I am not going to deal with that anymore.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Prairiepiss wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:39 pm I would suggest to make the fill port as big as you could. I am preparing to build mine about the same size. And I am looking at a 12” fill clean out on top. After haveing a small fill port on my old one. I am not going to deal with that anymore.
The largest I could fit on the top without interring with the 4” center ferrule and have clamp clearance would be 6”. I use this funnel. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-G ... /775595507 And it rests in a 2” ferrule very well.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I hate funnels. I personally want to be able to pour right from a bucket into the fill port. So if I can have a big enough hole to do that. That’s what I am going to do. Don’t have to wait on the funnel to drain. Just pour away. And if you can get a 6” on it. That’s what just a bit smaller then the mouth of that funnel? I use that funnel daily for used oil in my service van. And I hate the fact I have to use it.

Not to mention a bigger hole makes it a lot easier to reach down in there if you need too.

Just saying. If you are going to do it. Make it so it makes your job easier in the long run.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Prairiepiss wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 pm I hate funnels. I personally want to be able to pour right from a bucket into the fill port. So if I can have a big enough hole to do that. That’s what I am going to do. Don’t have to wait on the funnel to drain. Just pour away. And if you can get a 6” on it. That’s what just a bit smaller then the mouth of that funnel? I use that funnel daily for used oil in my service van. And I hate the fact I have to use it.

Not to mention a bigger hole makes it a lot easier to reach down in there if you need too.

Just saying. If you are going to do it. Make it so it makes your job easier in the long run.
+1 you WILL have to get your arm in there at some point and scrub the bottom. Best to have a hole big enough to get all the way in to your arm pit, and still see what you're doing.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. The funnel measured 8” across the short side, but decided to add a 6” fill. Here’s the preliminary layout.
16005B51-C42A-4FDA-A0B0-4CE94ED42D8B.jpeg
A27BDDCE-0C3E-4EC9-B23C-E39B3CBD23DC.jpeg
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

It's a good thing that full barrels are expensive else I might be very tempted for no good reason at all.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

That's gonna be sweet, 30xs. I had a 6" ferrule installed in the last year and you're gonna love yours.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

throw another 2" ferrule on the top for an agitator. stirred mash makes better likker.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.