New type of PTFE seal

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

New type of PTFE seal

Post by SomethingObscure »

I thought suddenly came to me. I'm not sure how it will work or if it's of any actual use to anyone. Or if anyone has come up with it before. Maybe should search first. Would be quicker thank typing this.

Anyway.

In 3d printing we sometimes use Bowden tubes to direct the plastic filiament from the spool to a hotend for melting. The Bowden tube need to be resistant to heat and so is made of PTFE. The standard size of this tube about 4mm diameter and side wall thickness of 2mm.

I thought that this could be slit down the side and put onto the side of a stock style boiler. Clipping over the lip and sandwiched by the lid. Giving a reusable and easily assembled seal. It might even be possible to make it into a circular pattern and clamp it using the lid to create a squashed tube seal giving even better sealing properties.

Just an idea no experience of using it. But here is a like to banggood where I tend to buy 3dprinting and drone stuff direct from china. It's not always cheaper so worth shopping round.

https://banggood.app.link/1gfLc1mpDcb
Screenshot_20201230-093506~2.png
Hope this is helpful

SomethingObscure

Edited to add picture.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
-Albert Einstein
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: New type of PTFE seal

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks SO
Always good to get new ideas on seals :thumbup:
I know those bowden tubes , just had to get a spare for the Ender 5+ at work .
Just be careful . In our case , the original was teflon but the replacement ( which was ment to be a better product) was not Teflon .

I gotta say , they are really hard , so not so sure how well they might seal on their own , maybe wrapping in teflon tape after slicing and pushing on might give a “squishier” seal ... I dunno ... just throwing it out there .