Turbo500 Control Question

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Purd Huply
Novice

Turbo500 Control Question

Post by Purd Huply »

New and dumb. Got the T500 strictly because of the all in one electric boiler. Built a column myself rather than the reflux column they make. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for a plug n play voltage controller or PID to have a little more control over my speed when running. Thanks in advance
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Turbo500 Control Question

Post by Prairiepiss »

If I remember correctly the heating element on that thing is on full blast the whole time. So there is no controller out there that will make it go any faster. You could find one that would control the heat you put in so you could run a pot still head.

And forget about PID. They are temp controllers. And you can’t control the temp. The alcohol does that.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Google search....."DIY Controller Kit" .....there is one that pops up for around $50 Au.
Never had trouble with the one I own. More than one person distributes them in the world if you hunt around a bit.
There seems to be a lot out there that are way over priced ..research before you buy.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Here is a dirt cheap and reliable solution.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-5000W- ... SwjXRXalcw

I use one of those and haven't had any trouble with it for years now.
Another take on it is the one I fabricated.
Here you are: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=58011
If you buy such a device pay attention to the wattage. It's a lot better to buy one that is a little over-dimensioned for the job than to have one that runs hot on you all the time.
+1 on the advice to forget about the PID.
It will only add a lot of variables to the equation and make your beginnings harder.
Once you've grasped basic knowledge about this hobby you can play around with these things. :ewink:
Purd Huply
Novice

Post by Purd Huply »

Prairiepiss wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am If I remember correctly the heating element on that thing is on full blast the whole time. So there is no controller out there that will make it go any faster. You could find one that would control the heat you put in so you could run a pot still head.
Definitely shooting for slowing it down.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Purd Huply wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 am
Prairiepiss wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am If I remember correctly the heating element on that thing is on full blast the whole time. So there is no controller out there that will make it go any faster. You could find one that would control the heat you put in so you could run a pot still head.
Definitely shooting for slowing it down.
Not sure where you are in the world. Little easier to recommend something if we know what part of the world you are in.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Purd Huply
Novice

Post by Purd Huply »

Prairiepiss wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 am
Purd Huply wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 am
Prairiepiss wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am
Not sure where you are in the world. Little easier to recommend something if we know what part of the world you are in.

The States
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

In my opinion its hard to beat the ones from Still Dragon.....a good product at a reasonable price.
I'm sure they have a supplier there.