New boiler / whole setup

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Unknown0ne
Novice

New boiler / whole setup

Post by Unknown0ne »

I am looking for a bigger more efficient setup... being a pretty busy guy I am all about saving time wherever possible. So if I can save time by throwing money at something... I will. Don't get me wrong, I have a full multi thousand dollar welder setup, shop air, the whole 9 yards... i just know that by the time I am finished id have several days of cutting welding, touch ups... deburring... yada yada... vs buy it finished and ready for a sacrificial run.

that said... does anyone have anything like this?
https://shop.distillery-equipment.com/c ... x-column-7

I think I have narrowed down my ideal setup... Kettle boiler, 10-20 gallon. 3" column, pot / reflux combo so I have the versatility to have flavor one day... but run neutrals the next if I so desire...
Id be running an electric element with a controller.
Just looking for opinions from anyone that has one of these setups or has used one similar??

also i know there are like half a dozen companies selling similar setups... is and 1 better than the other? recommendations ?

Thanks in advance all!! :D
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New boiler / whole setup

Post by acfixer69 »

You've got the building by the balls. Do a bit of research and you will have everything you need.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I had a 2" version. It was very easy to overpower that condenser. Running it at a speed that didn't overpower it was painfully slow. A full boiler charge makes for a long day.
That's my two cents.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:28 pm I had a 2" version. It was very easy to overpower that condenser. Running it at a speed that didn't overpower it was painfully slow. A full boiler charge makes for a long day.
That's my two cents.
Ahh... that makes sense.. I assume it comes with like a 24" condenser? Depending on your water temp going in... yea i could see that being a bit of a problem... even more so n a 3" column. Good call! Thank you!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:33 pm Check this out:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65801
This is the correct answer for new folks looking to get in to the hobby. Thats what I built to replace my still.

UnknownOne, if you got all the tools and skills, throw together a 2" Copper CCVM on a beer keg and your all set.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Or 3" if you want a faster rig. And build a copper shotgun condenser.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Time is my biggest enemy right now...
Work has me right in the middle of running a massive project that will probably have me tied up close to 10 hrs a day... for a good 2-3 months.

So... with the advice on the condenser... I think i will get a kettle boiler and controller and element on order

by all means I could make all this stuff, but this dang project has me worn out mentally haha. I might be able to just get some "pre-made" 3" column setup... then when all the dust settles, build a nice copper setup to clamp onto the kettle?!

at least then ill have a solid boiler setup i shouldn't have to worry about leaking and such...

Trust me guys.. work has me pretty bummed right now.. hence the making of tasty likkers... Stupid winter is not helping things. I dont get to play with any of the other toys.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Time is money, and Im pretty fond of the chinese milk can boilers. I have a 13 gallon one, and it has served me well with zero mods. The big wide opening on the top makes cleaning easy, you can order them with any size TC ferrule on the top for mounting a 2, 3, or 4 inch still. They are set up for a 2" TC element, but run well on a propane turkey burner too. Some online vendors offer them with an 1.5 in TC ball valve for draining. Basically all the bells and whistles you'd want on a keg boiler.
After getting disgusted with the performance of the liebig on the original still, I cut it off, and built a 48" copper liebig. I found it to be an efficient, but long inconvenient piece. Then I said F* it and built a CCVM and a shotgun condenser, and find my new rig pretty satisfying to run. (aside from the frequent trips to fill propane tanks). Now I'm in the middle of a controller build to convert to electric.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 pm Time is money, and Im pretty fond of the chinese milk can boilers. I have a 13 gallon one, and it has served me well with zero mods. The big wide opening on the top makes cleaning easy, you can order them with any size TC ferrule on the top for mounting a 2, 3, or 4 inch still. They are set up for a 2" TC element, but run well on a propane turkey burner too. Some online vendors offer them with an 1.5 in TC ball valve for draining. Basically all the bells and whistles you'd want on a keg boiler.
After getting disgusted with the performance of the liebig on the original still, I cut it off, and built a 48" copper liebig. I found it to be an efficient, but long inconvenient piece. Then I said F* it and built a CCVM and a shotgun condenser, and find my new rig pretty satisfying to run. (aside from the frequent trips to fill propane tanks). Now I'm in the middle of a controller build to convert to electric.
Haha ya sold me! 13 gallon milk kettle on the way. W/ element adapter plate for the 2" tri. and 3" lid. 8)

So.. ill have a few odds and ends to pick up... but then ill have all the flexibility to build or swap out as needed!

Thank you guys for the direction! now the waiting game for it to get here! :yawn:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Haha. :thumbup:
Did you get the drain valve on the bottom too? A milk can half full of hot backset isn't something you want to be lifting.
Good luck and stay safe.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm Haha. :thumbup:
Did you get the drain valve on the bottom too? A milk can half full of hot backset isn't something you want to be lifting.
Good luck and stay safe.
Indeed I did! :lol:
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Whelp... I got my new setup up and running tonight... I had a few things temporarily rigged up, and I need to get slightly thicker water lines... BUT it worked!
I have a slight tendency to overbuild things, annnnnd this sure holds true.

I will have to snap some pics hopefully this weekend.

So, I decided I would try to do my sacrificial run before bed. Not really knowing what to expect as far as timing, I cranked it up and watched the temp climb.
(to put things in perspective, my old setup took close to 2 hours from heat on till foreshots out)

So i dumped in my roughly 7 gallon sac run, some skank feints, and around 3 gallons of water.
Temp in the thermowell was at 53 degrees when I turned it on,..... then to my complete confusion and bewilderment, there was distillate coming out at the 15 mins mark. I look at the temp, and it was 195.. (temp was in the bottom of the boiler) the proper setup is on the way...

This stupid thing is an animal...