New Jacketed boiler coming

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VictoryRay
Novice

New Jacketed boiler coming

Post by VictoryRay »

Hey all. I have a 26L jacketed boiler coming. I plan on using oil for heating in the jacket.

Question: What oil to use?
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: New Jacketed boiler coming

Post by SmokyMtn »

Propylene glycol no mess and water clean up.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Re: New Jacketed boiler coming

Post by hypnopooper »

The problem with oils are that they are far less responsive to adjustments to jacket temperature. I have heard of people using peanut oil and/or heat transfer oil. Both are expensive when used in large amounts.

I use water. No oils or glycols. Just fill your jacket about 1/3 of the way with water. for enough low pressure steam to get the jacket to about 240F. Most jacketed boilers have check valves on them to ensure that once you fill them to the check valve, you will still have enough water to keep your heating element completely submerged with enough water even after creating steam in the jacket. It's very efficient as a bain marie boiler and inexpensive to operate. No expensive oils or fluids are needed, especially if your only working with 26L capacity. Also do not forget a 1 bar pressure relief/vacuum break for the jacket, a jacketed boiler cannot be operated safely without one.