The case for Reflectix insulation

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tom Kat
Swill Maker

The case for Reflectix insulation

Post by Tom Kat »

This is a thermal image of my still operating. The riser temp was 195 degrees F. I would guess the boiler was warmer than that. You can see the riser in the picture, it is plenty warm. I have circled the boiler that has Reflectix insulation on it. This image tells the story better than I ever could.
kegflir.jpg
There's no place like home
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: The case for Reflectix insulation

Post by still_stirrin »

Good one Tom.

It shows that the (heat) energy is contained within the boiler and riser rather than being wasted to the surroundings. An excellent case for insulating the boiler. And, Reflectex is an excellent (space age) thermal insulation.

Question, did you also insulate the top dome of your boiler? I put 2 layers on mine, but I believe I should add 2 more layers. As heat rises, it shows the cause for extra insulation on the dome.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

It sure is a great pic .
Also interesting how the riser is the same temp rigt up till the liebig . There appears to be now change in colour suggesting that the riser is losing no significant heat and therefore providing no passive reflux .

Also of interest is the liebig is pretty much the same colour . Guessing there was no temp gradient happening in the coolant shell that run ... IE .. water running fast through it .
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

SS, I put one layer on the top of the boiler because that was all I had left. I read everything you wrote on this subject and followed all of it. This picture removes all doubt
IMO. I am really glad I put it on my boiler.

As far as the new condenser...it really works good. I used the spiral copper wire on the inside. This picture was later in the run. Early on it was cool to the touch. I don't know if it came through but at that time the temperature of the product coming out of the pipe was 79 degrees Ft. It has taken me a few runs but I have got the feel for running my still and found the "sweet spot" it likes to run at. The big thing is being able to turn it down with the controller.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Tom Kat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 am This is a thermal image of my still operating. The riser temp was 195 degrees F. I would guess the boiler was warmer than that. You can see the riser in the picture, it is plenty warm. I have circled the boiler that has Reflectix insulation on it. This image tells the story better than I ever could. kegflir.jpg
Like the pic.

Worth noting that FLIR doesn't provide an accurate reading on reflective surfaces. Not to say that the reflectix isn't doing a good job, I use the stuff myself. However if you want to get an accurate temp you'll need to apply a non reflective target (e.g. a square of painters tape), else you're reading the reflective temperature.

Reference: https://www.fluke.com/en/learn/blog/the ... flectivity

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Tom Kat »

Good to know. I am not very interested in getting an accurate reading.

A friend of mine happened to take that picture and I shared it here because I think it illustrates the value of insulation on a boiler.