Fusti / Milk Can / Olive Oil can as boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Fusti / Milk Can / Olive Oil can as boiler

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I see a couple threads over the years asking about this, but not much feedback from anyone who's actually used one. So looking for input from users who have one of these as their boiler.
There are two main types.
Fusti tanks have a screw on lid:
311MiMdloHL._SX466_.jpg
311MiMdloHL._SX466_.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
Milk/Olive oil style have 2 or more clamps holding the lid on:
41Jtj580ZSL.jpg
Both styles have a silicone o-ring that would need to be wrapped in ptfe.
They typically have somewhere around an 8" opening, and plenty of room on the lid to add a 2" ferrule, and even a 2nd ferrule for a sight glass or way to refill without disassembly.

I'm currently using a 16 gal basic brew pot, with a ferrule I soldered into the lid. The lid is a bit of a pain to seal/clamp down all the time. I use this, rather than a keg, because I also brew beer (a lot more often than I distill), so I want my equipment to work for both. These fusti/milk/oil tanks should still work well as a boiler for beer (nice big opening for cleaning, but easier to seal up for running as a still.
I'd only be doing electric on them.

I'd be looking in the same size category, so 50-60L.

Thoughts?
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Fusti / Milk Can / Olive Oil can as boiler

Post by Bushman »

Note from experience but I looked at those years ago and thought they would make a nice small boiler.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I have a 13 gallon milk can. They work great, easy to clean, and all the bits fit inside for storage. You can buy a 13, 16, or 26 gallon milk can already outfitted with 1.5 and 2 inch ferrules at the bottom for heat and a drain, so they're turn key. No fussing around soldering or welding fittings on.
A 3 gallon is on my wish list for small runs.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm I have a 13 gallon milk can. They work great, easy to clean, and all the bits fit inside for storage. You can buy a 13, 16, or 26 gallon milk can already outfitted with 1.5 and 2 inch ferrules at the bottom for heat and a drain, so they're turn key. No fussing around soldering or welding fittings on.
If the prices are good this sounds like a great way for members to get started.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I have no relationship to them, but just as an FYI, I have a 3 gallon milk can from MileHi that I use for gin. It's stainless steel but it has enough ferrous metal that it works fine on an induction cooktop. They're around 100 bucks without any triclamp fittings.

Ikea sells an inexpensive 1800W induction cooker and the two of them together make a really nice kit for doing batches of gin or other small batch.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm
Deplorable wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm I have a 13 gallon milk can. They work great, easy to clean, and all the bits fit inside for storage. You can buy a 13, 16, or 26 gallon milk can already outfitted with 1.5 and 2 inch ferrules at the bottom for heat and a drain, so they're turn key. No fussing around soldering or welding fittings on.
If the prices are good this sounds like a great way for members to get started.
13 gallon cans with a 2" TC for a heater, and 1.5" for a drain near the bottom, and another 1.5 at the top for a fill port or thermometer, can be had for under $300US, a 26 gallon for under $500. Most on line retailers sell them with an included ball drain valve.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

I‘m using one of these Fusti 50 L tanks. It works perfect, but the screw on lid is a pita sometimes. Have to use flour paste to seal it. It‘s from Polsinelli in Italy. 79 € including shipping inside the EU.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Thanks for input folks. I'll post a followup if I get one of these.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.