Openable boilers mandatory?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Openable boilers mandatory?

Post by Evil_Dark »

I saw multiples design with kegs (and other tanks/boilers) that had no covers or big openings, and I was planing to make one on my future build.
But it is considerably more work to do (cut, weld a flange, buy a PTFE gasket...) so I it is no really necessary for cleaning /scrubbing the inside? I may not mess with this if there is not a big advantage for it...

Your inputs?

Thanks!
Regards
Evil_Dark
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Openable boilers mandatory?

Post by Setsumi »

No, it is not mandatory. A larger opening can help to charge and clean but I rather take a bottom drain first.

Edit, a larger opening takes more to seal as you stated...
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nope, not required since 2" and 3" risers/columns mate nicely to an unmolested 2" sankey keg. A definite convenience and time-saver though. Going through the expense of adding a 6" (or larger) ferrule and associated hardware offers multiple benefits. Cleaning (especially a scorch), filling, thumper connectivity and stirring during heat up to name a few. I love mine (below). You only have to do it once, and if you decide to do it, add a drain valve and you're golden.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Evil_Dark wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 am so I it is no really necessary for cleaning /scrubbing the inside? I may not mess with this if there is not a big advantage for it...
It's not mandatory but in the long run it might be worth your while (or it could also be done later).

I both ferment and distill “on the grain” so to speak. But I also sometimes distill pureed fruits and unstrained solids in a stainless steel pot that is heated by an external burner and not an internal electrical element. Over the years I have seen several instances where an ugly brown patina will build up on the inside of the pot. No amount of rinsing will remove the plaque. This might reduce the still's efficiency a little.

It's useful to be able to reach in there and scrub the inside with SOS pads, but I've also found that adding a few tablespoons of baking soda during a run– will scour the inside of a pot clean as a wistle, without the elbow work.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:22 am Nope, not required since 2" and 3" risers/columns mate nicely to an unmolested 2" sankey keg. A definite convenience and time-saver though. Going through the expense of adding a 6" (or larger) ferrule and associated hardware offers multiple benefits. Cleaning (especially a scorch), filling, thumper connectivity and stirring during heat up to name a few. I love mine (below). You only have to do it once, and if you decide to do it, add a drain valve and you're golden.
The big ferrule is a very good idea! I might steal it ;)

I'm thinking that in the long run I may need to scrub the inside.
This particular boiler can't be heated by an external source, so the internal element is my only option. Not sure if this help to not make any "crust" inside... But just for filling purposes, having a larger enterance opening will help.
I do have a 2" ferrule at the bottom, as well as a side opening for the electric element. The actual top opening is a 3". I may add a well for an eventual temperature probe. It's a 40L capacity, not too big.

Regards
Evil_Dark
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

One more to say, not necessary, but so much nicer when you have to clean. My first still was just a keg with a threaded bung on the side for an element. It worked, but filling, draining, and cleaning all took full disassembly. Also had to lug a full keg to drain it through the top. Far better to at a minimum add a bottom drain. Better yet, flip the keg, use the 2” as a drain, then add a 2” on the top for the column and a 6” for cleaning and filling. Heck, I cleaned a 120 gallon still through a 6” opening. Not hard to do. If the still gets real dirty, fill with a double dose of b brite and heat it up. It will be clean when you drain it.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:22 am Nope, not required since 2" and 3" risers/columns mate nicely to an unmolested 2" sankey keg. A definite convenience and time-saver though. Going through the expense of adding a 6" (or larger) ferrule and associated hardware offers multiple benefits. Cleaning (especially a scorch), filling, thumper connectivity and stirring during heat up to name a few. I love mine (below). You only have to do it once, and if you decide to do it, add a drain valve and you're golden.
If you turn over the keg and mate it to 2" drainage, you will need a ferrule at the (new) top.
Make it a reasonable size.

Geoff
The Baker
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Basically comes down to how valuable is your time vs the labor needed to toil with a kettle that is set up with less than optimal appointments.

It's all about the likker......
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Realize that a normal adult male arm doesn’t got very far into a 4” tri clamp fitting, about half way up the forearm. 6” is much better.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I went with a 16g milk can boiler that has a domed lid with a 3" TC because I couldn't imagine not being able to clean it if I wanted and I'm glad I have it however I typically just rinse and it's fine. I'm considering how I might be able to add a false bottom into it so I can cook certain solids with the electric heater - I have a few ideas and the 8" opening will definitely help. I wouldn't trade it for the same with a fixed 3" TC on top...

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:48 pm I might be able to add a false bottom into it so I can cook certain solids with the electric heater -
Can you develop about this please? cooking solids?
Regards
Evil_Dark
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The false bottom idea is two or three "half circle" pieces of copper with a bajillion holes drilled and with feet soldered or screwed/riveted - height TBD but 6-12" or adjustable - then a layer of copper mesh fabric. The half circles will fit sideways through the 8" opening and then stand up on their feet high enough to be well enough above the heating element.

Solids would be any fruit solids/skins for example grape pomace or some other fruit. I don't think this would work for grains but maybe some experimentation is required..

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Ok got ya. It's basically a strainer that prevents the fruits to go touch the heater element.
Nice idea, gives versatility!
Thanks for the clarification :)
Regards
Evil_Dark
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Exactly! the two half circles are 1/2 the diameter of the boiler so when set side by side make the false bottom and copper mesh fabric on top or more drilled half circles makes an easy false bottom.. They may need to be slightly less than 1/2 (16") diameter to fit through the 8" opening but another layer of them plus mesh should protect solids from falling down to the element..

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I run a 6" flange on my keg boiler and am real happy with it, drain valve in the bottom and removable element means cleanup is a snap.
1016210857.jpg
:)
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

As others above, see my 'revelation':

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 9#p7513655
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.