Pico distiller

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pico distiller

Postby Opdog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

This came up in my google news feed today. http://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/pico ... distiller/
With a 5 liter capacity, I can’t believe that you could get a decent product out of this t. The several reviews I just read from CES 2018 seem to indicate that it works and the product isn’t terrible, but how do you make cuts on 500ml of product?

Is anyone at CES that can give us the lowdown on this thing? It appears to have a lot of plastic parts, but the bits that are in contact with the higher concentrations of alcohol look to be copper and glass, but that is only based on what I suspect surmised from the stock photos I found.

Edit:
Here is the manufacturers site: https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products ... ill.cshtml
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pico distiller

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm

From the website:
"The patent-pending design substantially reduces the dangers inherent in distilling spirits by automatically separating the methanol from the heads."

If you believe this, I've got a bridge (Brooklyn) for sale that will make you a millionaire overnight. :P
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Shine0n » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I could see this being good for hops oils or for other essential oils but under no circumstances being used to distill likker.

I don't know how to extract oils but if you're not using high proof to do it I see nothing wrong with it.

For 250 though I could build 2 more of my setups 15.5×15.5
Shine0n
Master Distiller

Postby cede » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm

We talked about this piece of crap a few days back: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69297

Patent deposit does not implies that the apparatus works in anyway. It's just to protect an idea.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Expat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.I aim with my eye." - Roland of Gilead
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby raketemensch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am

Obviously these tiny things are horrible for cuts, but I have to admit it'd be awesome to have something on my desk that I could use to make gins from already-cut neutrals while I work...
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby CatCrap » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 pm

It kind of makes a joke out of this craft. It grossly oversimplifies the art and craft of Distillation, and everything that goes along with it. (Fermentation,Distillation, Cutting and Blending, and aging, which each on their own are an entire school of learning and can take a lifetime to master) I'll admit, explaining this hobby to someone who knows nothing about it (pretty much everyone) is a challenge. I love and hate that fact. It's a challenge it has depth, and it can get wicked nerdy. And I fucking love it.
We all started somewhere, and got bit by the Likker bug. I'd like to see home distilling start moving in the RIGHT direction, like weed has. Years ago everyone thought Reefer Madness was an accurate characterization. Right now, the majority of folks seem to think that homedistilling is incredibly dangerous and pointless(why take a risk and go through all that trouble and work when you can buy Skol vodka at the liquor store for 5$ a liter and 1/1000th of the time and effort).

The FIRST thing anyone says to me, and i'm not joking,I'd be very curious to hear You All's experience... the FIRST thing people say to me when i say I really love my hobby, home distilling is one of two sentences.... "Don't blow your house up" or "Don't poison yourself" I think we all here know that as long as you aren't learning how to 'still on youtube, and you RESEARCH, and put the time in(at least a few months) before building or firing up a boiler, your main concern is safety and if you follow best practices, the risks are very very minimal.
When they say that I do roll my eyes, but i take it as an opportunity to learn their ass about how distillation works. And that it has been made out to be something it most definitely is not. You're not going to go blind. You're not going to blow up.

Now... off my soapbox... i will say this.. any good hobby does have at least a little danger involved. :wink:
CatCrap
Bootlegger

Postby cede » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Catcrap, yes you made good points.
But hey, was a bit the same for beer years back when they came with all automatic pico breweries, I mean affordable ones. I once built one fully automated brewery. Just add to put grain in a bucket, hops in baskets and a carboy at the end. Push one button and come back when it beeps. I've been very excited to build this but all the fun disappeared the day I pushed the button.
I went back to 99% manual, the only automation is temperature regulation.

Distillation is another thing and can be dangerous if you are dumb.
Bad press comes from stories where people obsessed with money and profit were not making good cuts or where mixing good alcohol with methanol.

It took years here for people to drink and appreciate wine. Will take another 10 years from the time they lift the prohibition laws for people to recognized art in spirits. I hope less because I have projects :)
I'm sorry to say that, but here we got crap on the shelves, apart for some pricey bottles and others you have to travel to the distillery to get one bottle.

I started brewing 2 decades ago with cans then all grain, stilling a bit in 2004, moved across the ocean, and they tried to get back to stilling here but not much spare time I gave the boka to a friend and I'm back this year with some ideas, a friend to still with, and time !
I'm far from mastering anything in distillation, cutting, blending, but I will learn as I learned brewing, fermenting and aging.
I guess that any automated still would not make me learn anything if it does it all by itself ! :)
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby jon1163 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

CatCrap wrote:It kind of makes a joke out of this craft. It grossly oversimplifies the art and craft of Distillation, and everything that goes along with it. (Fermentation,Distillation, Cutting and Blending, and aging, which each on their own are an entire school of learning and can take a lifetime to master) I'll admit, explaining this hobby to someone who knows nothing about it (pretty much everyone) is a challenge. I love and hate that fact. It's a challenge it has depth, and it can get wicked nerdy. And I fucking love it.
We all started somewhere, and got bit by the Likker bug. I'd like to see home distilling start moving in the RIGHT direction, like weed has. Years ago everyone thought Reefer Madness was an accurate characterization. Right now, the majority of folks seem to think that homedistilling is incredibly dangerous and pointless(why take a risk and go through all that trouble and work when you can buy Skol vodka at the liquor store for 5$ a liter and 1/1000th of the time and effort).

The FIRST thing anyone says to me, and i'm not joking,I'd be very curious to hear You All's experience... the FIRST thing people say to me when i say I really love my hobby, home distilling is one of two sentences.... "Don't blow your house up" or "Don't poison yourself" I think we all here know that as long as you aren't learning how to 'still on youtube, and you RESEARCH, and put the time in(at least a few months) before building or firing up a boiler, your main concern is safety and if you follow best practices, the risks are very very minimal.
When they say that I do roll my eyes, but i take it as an opportunity to learn their ass about how distillation works. And that it has been made out to be something it most definitely is not. You're not going to go blind. You're not going to blow up.

Now... off my soapbox... i will say this.. any good hobby does have at least a little danger involved. :wink:
"Slow clap"... every once in awhile I hear somebody say something and I think "I wish I could articulate myself that well". I think this post deserves a sticky
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Return to What Not To Use/Do