Rye grass seed

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rye grass seed

Postby Lawfish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 am

OK, I have to call this one on myself. I've read everything in the required reading section and have almost a year of regular whiskey-making under my belt. My standard recipe is 10 lbs. of cracked corn and 5 lbs. of scratch mix in 8 gallons of water done with the pintoshine method. Virtually every whiskey recipe I've seen includes rye in some small percentage, so I decided to try adding a little rye to a batch of whiskey. I bought a 40 pound bag of rye grass seed and added 2 lbs. of that in place of 2 lbs. of scratch mix.

Obviously, it didn't take long to do some further research to discover that rye grass and cereal rye and two different things. It took some digging on other sites and this site to confirm that. So I have 4 quarts of whiskey made with rye grass seed. It's been on wood for about 6 weeks and I got into the first jar last night. It does have a spicy kick to it, but obviously not the taste I was looking for. So I'll be drinking this weird whiskey for a while.

Fortunately, I have 8 chickens, so I've been spreading that seed outside to make fodder. The seed won't go to waste.

Live and learn.

Homebrewer turned distiller

Re: Rye grass seed

Postby thecroweater » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:10 am

I think that is kind of cool, I was stating at some rye grass just this very afternoon wondering if anyone ever made whiskey out of it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Site Mod

Postby Appalachian spirits » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:33 pm

A lot of people use the seed so i guess its ok? I like the organic river rye on amazon. Its pricey but high quality so 10% in your mash gives it a nice rye spice
Appalachian spirits

Postby Hilltop » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am

You ain't been watching the moonshiners show have ya? I see that's what those idiots use. On a side note I know a guy who loves this type of whisky, i been meaning to try a snort of his as he claims it's damn good!

I have planted lots of rye grass for deer. Rye grass looks like a smaller version of rye grain. Remember this, everything you feed a chicken gets planted in there poop. Your gonna look outside come fall and wonder where all this green grass come from! lol!

Who else has used rye grass seed. Fess up. Does it, well taste like cereal rye?
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Swill Maker

Return to What Not To Use/Do