FermCap

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: FermCap

Postby CatCrap » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Alright... 3 hours of mashing. Temp is at 139. I'll give it another 30 min, then check the SG and do an iodine test.
CatCrap
Bootlegger

Postby butterpants » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Have you done any research on your Igloo cooler and basically holding boiling water in there for 3 hours? That bothers me. Sure lots of people use them for mashing/brewing beer but that's a sustained 140-150 for 60-90 minutes only.

Get a real pump Mr Crap. Worth every penny. Cost you 150$ but you'll have it a long time. My stainless chugger is 4 years old and I constantly use it to pump chill water to the condenser on spirit days which are 12 hours long. Oil it a bit and no hiccups. You could even opt for the polymer head to save 50$.

In a false bottom stainless keggle I heat up 10 gallons of fairly hard tap water with 2 tsp of Calcium Sulfate to boiling (200F at my elevation).

I add 26# of cheapo TSC cracked feed corn that has been run through a wide gapped. mil once. Just breaks up whole pieces.

After this addition, temps fall to about 170F. I crank heat back up until it all boils again then throw on some refletix insulation. False bottom keeps it from scorching. Let it sit about 3 hours till it's around 180F, add hi temp enzyme to the brick of porridge. Stir alot

Button back up with insulation and allow thermodynamics to do its thing. Come back in 12 hours and it's about 130-140F. Add low temp enzyme. Add 2 gallons backset. Stir alot.

Button up again a final time and return when the temp is 90F. Lauter by draining through false bottom via pump (why I don't crush fine). Usually get 8 gallons out without squeezing. Hand remove corn to mopbucket / strainer bag and you'll get another 2-3 gallons depending on how much energy you've got.

Pitch yeast right into this after adding a small charge of DAP, Epsom and FermaidK.

Since I adopted this protocol it's 1.065-1.070 for 26# of corn and 10-11 gallons. I end up loosing about 1.5 gallons to yeast and trub that I refuse to put in my boiler post cold crash but that's me.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Postby CatCrap » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Here we are. Just shy of 5 hours after addition of the 2nd enzyme. Strained enough for a sample. It was still very thick, but i got an SG reading on the hydrometer.... 1.100!!! quite high... higher than expected. This will still get watered down some, so hopefully the final SG ends up around 1.08.

Iodine test succesful. NO starch present. The liquid was a super golden color. Far more than last time. This batch already seems a bit different from the last time i did it. So... i have high hopes!! If this turns out the same as the last.. well.. heck.. i dunno.

Using 2 packs of US-05 yeast. I put both 11.5G packs of yeast into a pint of 98 degree water. Let it hydrate for 15-20 min, with a tbsp of Go Ferm Protect. Then i added about a half cup of warm water with some sugar dissolved in it, to keep the yeast happy/make a sort of starter, until i'm ready to pitch it unto the mash. I won't be adding any nutrients this go around.
CatCrap
Bootlegger

Postby CatCrap » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Hmm.. well, you do make an interesting point about the igloo cooler. I do know that a lot of folk are using them, i'm just not sure who many are cooking in them, especially at the high temps i'm doing. I did have mostly successful runs and ferments with my batch of NC Hooch. Did 3 rounds of 50L ferments in it, and as mentioned, strangely, only one of the 6 strip runs had that strange burning smell. In reading today, someone mentioned (may have been an excerpt from the parent sight) that fermenting at higher temps than the yeast likes can result in heavy "solvent" like aromas or flavors. I think solvent would be as close a description as i could get for the result i had. Now, the liquor itself still did have a nice corn flavor, and the backset smelled fucking heavenly. Intense corn flavor. So, assuming i can get this recipe right, i know Booner's will make a great whiskey.

Currently both 25L ferments are chugging away. Like i said, i didn't add any yeast nutrients this go round, only the Gypsum for mash salts and a tsp of citric to bring the PH down for the GL enzyme. After adding to the fermenters and watering down, my SG was right at 1.06. So, that seems good. All in all, i think this mash was a success... but.. then i thought that the last time at this stage, and didn't find my issue until the stripping run. But, my gut tells me this ferment went as good as it could have. I did everything right and the ingredients cooperated. Other than that slight issue with the PH meter. It could have been i didn't stir enough to get accurate readings, or who knows... i find the stupid PH meters to be semi-unreliable. They seem to create more questions than answers.

I do not know what the material the IGLOO is made of. Ill have to look into it (first by looking at the cooler to see if it's HDPE, hopefully it is. LDPE isn't supposed to have those high temps. So, i'll do a little digging and try to figure it out. Overall i like the igloo quite a bit. It holds heat really really well, and is a good manageable size that i don't have too much trouble with giant batch sizes. I have debated with upgrading to a large brute trash can for AG mashing like this.. but, that creates new challenges.

For me, i like to ferment on the grain and squeeze after. I did install a ball valve on the cooler instead of the spigot, so if i want to attempt a false bottom at some point i can. I originally put a bazooka filter off amazon on it. ON the first run it was full of corn, so i don't think it would work for shit with a corn heavy mash bill. I also fucking cut myself good on my finger trying to unscrew it. Fucking sharp ass wires on that screen and one was stray. Got my index finger pad real good.

I'll keep an eye on progress. ONce done, i'll squeeze it off, let it clear well, throw it in the boiler and cross the shit out of my fingers.
CatCrap
Bootlegger

Previous

Return to What Not To Use/Do