Help settle a bet please....

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rickyaifd
Novice

Help settle a bet please....

Post by rickyaifd »

A friend and I have had a discussion and he is under the impression that high alcohol content, specifically above 120 proof, is safe to drink. I always heard and understood that high alcohol content, again above 120 proof, is generally considered not safe to drink. Who wins the bet
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help settle a bet please....

Post by Oatmeal »

Avoid! Cell damage and potential cancer as a result (so I've read)
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Found this statement in a journal:
Gentle sipping of small quantities of very high proof spirits probably won't hurt you. It depends on your personal sensitivity. Drinking—as opposed to sipping—alcohol at very high concentrations risks damage to any and all of the tissue it encounters along the way: mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I've had similar arguments with folks and my searching seems to turn up general information about the dangers of any alcohol, and even when addressing high ABV focuses on the total alcohol consumed, not cell damage.

If anyone can provide some links specifically on the dangers of high proof alcohol I'd appreciate it.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

alcohol is a known carcinogen at any proof
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:04 am If anyone can provide some links specifically on the dangers of high proof alcohol I'd appreciate it.
the higher the proof the more chance it could catch fire and burn your face off
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Had a doctor tell me years ago that if I was going to drink spirits “straight,” then I should follow up with a drink of water after each sip to minimize the alcohol’s effect on my throat, stomach and overall physical condition.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

8Ball wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am Had a doctor tell me years ago that if I was going to drink spirits “straight,” then I should follow up with a drink of water after each sip to minimize the alcohol’s effect on my throat, stomach and overall physical condition.
+1

As my drinking of spirits has evolved, (more about taste than total buzz) I have begun the habit of drinking a big glass of water before I start imbibing. This practice seemed prudent with my drinking (neat) of increasingly higher-proof expressions.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It might depend on what your bet is. If you are betting that there is proof, because 60%+ isn't generally available, there won't be a lot of statistical evidence that you can produce to back that up and you might lose.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rickyaifd wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 am A friend and I have had a discussion and he is under the impression that high alcohol content, specifically above 120 proof, is safe to drink. I always heard and understood that high alcohol content, again above 120 proof, is generally considered not safe to drink. Who wins the bet
It certainly can numb sensitive nerve endings, especially in the mouth/tongue area. But it can also harm tissue in the esophagus and stomach. And if the tissue damage is “chronic”, it can eventually lead to disease or even the “big C”.

So, considering that 140 proof (70%ABV) is pure enough to use as a sanitizer in clinical environments, you can see that alcohol nearly that strong can “kill things” like body tissue when exposed.

But, I have dipped my finger into the drip at the spout before and touched it to my tongue. If the purity is higher than 100+ proof or so, it will give my tongue a “tingle” as the nerves are shocked by the alcohol. I don’t drink it or even sip it at cask strength unless I’ve added a few ice cubes to dilute the alcohol down.

Also, since your senses are “neutralized” with high purity alcohol, it has less “flavor” or at least the sensations of flavor, especially the flavor you may be striving for in your spirit.

In the end, it doesn’t mean you have “balls” if you drink high purity liquor. It means you’re careless with your unsafe practice.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 pm
rickyaifd wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 am A friend and I have had a discussion and he is under the impression that high alcohol content, specifically above 120 proof, is safe to drink. I always heard and understood that high alcohol content, again above 120 proof, is generally considered not safe to drink. Who wins the bet
It certainly can numb sensitive nerve endings, especially in the mouth/tongue area. But it can also harm tissue in the esophagus and stomach. And if the tissue damage is “chronic”, it can eventually lead to disease or even the “big C”.

So, considering that 140 proof (70%ABV) is pure enough to use as a sanitizer in clinical environments, you can see that alcohol nearly that strong can “kill things” like body tissue when exposed.

But, I have dipped my finger into the drip at the spout before and touched it to my tongue. If the purity is higher than 100+ proof or so, it will give my tongue a “tingle” as the nerves are shocked by the alcohol. I don’t drink it or even sip it at cask strength unless I’ve added a few ice cubes to dilute the alcohol down.

Also, since your senses are “neutralized” with high purity alcohol, it has less “flavor” or at least the sensations of flavor, especially the flavor you may be striving for in your spirit.

In the end, it doesn’t mean you have “balls” if you drink high purity liquor. It means you’re careless with your unsafe practice.
ss
I so agree .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

There are professionals the world over, who walk up and down rick houses/barrel warehouses literally pulling samples for a living.

A dangerous job according to some. :mrgreen:
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but drinking >60% abv is not something I'd call "unsafe"

..."unadvisable", "unwise", and "unappealing"...but not unsafe, beyond the usual caveats with alcohol injestion.
Orpheus123
Novice

Post by Orpheus123 »

I guess I never thought about it. Interesting. Myself, I prefer 90 to 100 proof. But, occasionally I'll sip a 120 or higher, but I will cut that with ice or just water.

Isn't it about moderation, as all things are about moderation? Surely people are not saying you will get cancer from sipping Knob Creek 9 year at 120 proof...

...unless you did it every day or something...

...huh. Interesting discussion though. As I said, I never thought about it...