Cork/stopper

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Biff_McNielly
Novice

Cork/stopper

Post by Biff_McNielly »

Can I use a natural cork (like a wine cork) for my temperature probe? Or can someone recommend a safe stopper to use? I believe rubber and plastics are a no no…
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Cork/stopper

Post by cob »

Natural cork yes, BUT most wine corks are composite or agglomerated cork. use those words to search here on HD

There are at least three other industries that use the term natural to describe their products when in fact their

products are agglomerated cork, or composite cork. Widget co has real natural cork along with other forms of cork.

Your local hardware store may have natural cork. Search here on HD and learn the difference it's easy and readily

apparent visually, then decide if what you have is suitable.
be water my friend
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

How are you mounting your thermometer?

I have a little bit of brake line i soldered into place that the stainless probe of my thermometer fits quite nicely into, so all it needs is a couple of wraps of ptfe tape to seal.

Obviously this wouldnt work as well with just a hole in the wall of a copper pipe.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Biff,

Just curious. What/where is the thermometer going to be used for? What are you monitoring, what kind of still/rig/column?
If in doubt leave it out.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Lots of members on here use natural cork as a thermometer port. Just make sure the hole is slightly smaller than the temp probe and you'll be good to go!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Check out Widgetco Extra Select Cork Stoppers. Find your size, order online, their quality is excellent and shipping is FREE. I order cork stoppers from them all the time for sealing 1 gal glass jugs, 5 gal glass carboys, etc...
Biff_McNielly
Novice

Post by Biff_McNielly »

Jstroke wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:10 am Biff,

Just curious. What/where is the thermometer going to be used for? What are you monitoring, what kind of still/rig/column?
The thermometer is going smack in the center of the top of my column.
I don’t know exactly what to call this column other than an experiment at this point. It’s built out of spare parts, scrap pipe I had on hand, and random ideas that were all thrown together honestly. It’s really just something to occupy my time and just see what works. But I want to get an accurate temperature reading of the distillate as it enters the lyne arm. The kettle has a thermometer on it so I figure between the 2 I can get a good idea of what’s going on in there
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Understood. Well it at least sounds like you are having a grand time with the creativity of it. Enjoy
If in doubt leave it out.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Jstroke wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:52 pm Understood. Well it at least sounds like you are having a grand time with the creativity of it. Enjoy
He has another topic where he posted a pic of the still. He's using the thermometer above a dephlegmator near the vapor takeoff.