Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: mason jar lids

Post by Tabucowboy »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm
BoomTown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 am
Tabucowboy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 am I store in these bottles

I purchased vodka in 2 of them from liquor store.

The rest I get from Aldi they sell sparkling lemonade in them during holidays.
Have the ‘rubber’ gaskets ever given you problems as your product ages? Like 2 years or longer?
Wrap them in plumbers tape (ptfe).
You can wrap them in PTFE Tape. But two of them came with vodka in them so I figure if I store 120 proof or less in them it is safe. I do not store High Proof in them I will dilute it down to under 120 proof I figure it is safe but I have not done any testing on this. For high Proof I store in Mason Jars up right and only till I have large enough batch to run spirit run.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

cranky wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:57 am
BoomTown wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:22 am
cranky wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 am There has been evidence that silicon can break down and leach into alcohol and some people have reported suffering medical problems as a result of drinking alcohol contaminated with silicon.
So Cranky, if the sealed mason jars are stored upright, where is the evidence of this leaching you mention?
Boomtown
The same way regular mason jar lids are effected when stored upright. I don't know about your jars but mine often have drops of alcohol on the lid and sides of the jars when I open them, Obviously there is some evaporation and condensation going on inside those sealed jars, that is why regular mason jar lids aren't acceptable. It's been years since I have read about the issues with silicon so I have no idea where the reported information is, I just remember reading about it and making a mental note.

I really don't care what kind of lids people put on their jars as long as they are the only ones drinking it.
So now, the obviously overlooked question, what about the plastic bottles being used and distributed by the Fab 5 Liquor Conglomerates for Whisky, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka and Gin? Are those containers leaching into that liquor?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BoomTown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:23 am So now, the obviously overlooked question, what about the plastic bottles being used and distributed by the Fab 5 Liquor Conglomerates for Whisky, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka and Gin? Are those containers leaching into that liquor?
Are you going to fabricate mason jar lids out of them? If not this has no real relevance in this topic but a quick search of the interweb tells me those bottles are PETE and do leach into the alcohol but "not enough to become a serious health risk". I have never seen any test results and never verified for myself but have read that those plastic bottles have an expiration date on them due to degradation of those plastic bottles.

I'm not sure why you seem to be wanting to pick a fight with me on this stuff Boom, I was just giving an answer to YSO191 about why most of us consider silicon unacceptable for use with alcohol. If you feel it's acceptable that's fine use it. In the unlikely event you ever send me a sample I will graciously accept it and if it arrives in a container that I personally find questionable I will put it in a glass bottle with a natural cork for long term storage.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

cranky wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am
BoomTown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:23 am So now, the obviously overlooked question, what about the plastic bottles being used and distributed by the Fab 5 Liquor Conglomerates for Whisky, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka and Gin? Are those containers leaching into that liquor?
Are you going to fabricate mason jar lids out of them? If not this has no real relevance in this topic but a quick search of the interweb tells me those bottles are PETE and do leach into the alcohol but "not enough to become a serious health risk". I have never seen any test results and never verified for myself but have read that those plastic bottles have an expiration date on them due to degradation of those plastic bottles.

I'm not sure why you seem to be wanting to pick a fight with me on this stuff Boom, I was just giving an answer to YSO191 about why most of us consider silicon unacceptable for use with alcohol. If you feel it's acceptable that's fine use it. In the unlikely event you ever send me a sample I will graciously accept it and if it arrives in a container that I personally find questionable I will put it in a glass bottle with a natural cork for long term storage.
Don’t get upset,
I’m not picking fights, just curious, and you’re an above resource. Didn’t mean to upset you. I’ve been out of this so long, many details have faded, and while I can remember parts of stuff, I like to refresh my understandings before proceeding.

As to making lids from the old plastic whiskey bottles, I do have a heat gun, and was considering making a sleave stopper for a large, oddly sized glass bottle by cutting off the bottom of one of those plastic whiskey bottles and reshaping it around the mouth of that big bottle. The plan is to put a pieces of oak Or two in the big bottle, fill it with a spirit, and let it set for a couple years. I’ve search the net off and on for a few days, and can’t seem to locate a cork stopper, nor wooden bung the right size.

So, rest your Teddy, thanks for the information offered, it is useful. I’ll not bother you more.
Boom
Rigorous1
Novice

Post by Rigorous1 »

What about just using the stainless steel lids without an actual seal? I mean I guess it would depend on how long you were storing as far as evaporation but I think it would contain the product well enough for us that are only doing smaller batches and will only have the product for a month or 2.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BoomTown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:41 am Don’t get upset,
I’m not picking fights, just curious, and you’re an above resource. Didn’t mean to upset you. I’ve been out of this so long, many details have faded, and while I can remember parts of stuff, I like to refresh my understandings before proceeding.

As to making lids from the old plastic whiskey bottles, I do have a heat gun, and was considering making a sleave stopper for a large, oddly sized glass bottle by cutting off the bottom of one of those plastic whiskey bottles and reshaping it around the mouth of that big bottle. The plan is to put a pieces of oak Or two in the big bottle, fill it with a spirit, and let it set for a couple years. I’ve search the net off and on for a few days, and can’t seem to locate a cork stopper, nor wooden bung the right size.

So, rest your Teddy, thanks for the information offered, it is useful. I’ll not bother you more.
Boom
I'm not upset at all, you were just coming across as wanting to fight about materials for some reason. Perhaps I assume since you have experience that you already know all this stuff. As far as cutting the top off a plastic bottle and using that on top of another, personally I'd find something else to age in or make something out of stainless steel. Let the big guys who want to maximize profit margins have the plastic, but that's just me.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Rigorous1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am What about just using the stainless steel lids without an actual seal? I mean I guess it would depend on how long you were storing as far as evaporation but I think it would contain the product well enough for us that are only doing smaller batches and will only have the product for a month or 2.
Some people use those, they work well and if long term sealing is necessary you can always wrap them in PTFE tape.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

[/quote] Perhaps I assume since you have experience that you already know all this stuff. As far as cutting the top off a plastic bottle and using that on top of another, personally I'd find something else to age in or make something out of stainless steel. Let the big guys who want to maximize profit margins have the plastic, but that's just me.
[/quote]
You’re quite right about my past experience, and I wish I’d retained more of what I once knew. What I’ve forgotten, joined to the functional limitation my membership is now experiencing, frustrates my as much as it has others, but I’m just getting on with it. As for fabricating a SS stopper, I don’t feel comfortable using any materials that has a chance of chipping the glass. At one time, I could have made a glass stopper, but haven’t got the tool set now days.

Will keep looking for a source for large cork stoppers.
Thanks for your time.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

Could you get a larger cork and get someone to turn it down for you? I don’t know if that’s an option for you, just trying to think of something helpful.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BoomTown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:27 pm You’re quite right about my past experience, and I wish I’d retained more of what I once knew. What I’ve forgotten, joined to the functional limitation my membership is now experiencing, frustrates my as much as it has others, but I’m just getting on with it. As for fabricating a SS stopper, I don’t feel comfortable using any materials that has a chance of chipping the glass. At one time, I could have made a glass stopper, but haven’t got the tool set now days.

Will keep looking for a source for large cork stoppers.
Thanks for your time.
What size do you need? A while back I got a screaming deal on a bunch of really nice bottles from a defunct distillery but they required 22.5mm stoppers. The only place I could find them was Widgetco. You might try them. I also find that Ace Hardware often stocks things like that.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

cranky wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm...The only place I could find them was Widgetco. You might try them...
Bingo! That’s where I order mine from. They have a great selection of virgin cork stoppers in a variety of sizes. Fair prices and quick shipment too.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rigorous1
Novice

Post by Rigorous1 »

cranky wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am
Rigorous1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am What about just using the stainless steel lids without an actual seal? I mean I guess it would depend on how long you were storing as far as evaporation but I think it would contain the product well enough for us that are only doing smaller batches and will only have the product for a month or 2.
Some people use those, they work well and if long term sealing is necessary you can always wrap them in PTFE tape.
Wrap the lid? Not sure how that could be done. Or just wrap the lid of the jar before screwing the lid down?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Rigorous1 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 am
Wrap the lid? Not sure how that could be done. Or just wrap the lid of the jar before screwing the lid down?
It's simple enough, you just take some PTFE tape, line it up so half is above the lid and the other half is below the lid and wrap the lid a couple of times then fold the tape over.
LID.jpg
Rigorous1
Novice

Post by Rigorous1 »

Got it. Don't know why I didn't picture that. Thanks for the tip.
Rigorous1
Novice

Post by Rigorous1 »

cranky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am
Rigorous1 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 am
It's simple enough, you just take some PTFE tape, line it up so half is above the lid and the other half is below the lid and wrap the lid a couple of times then fold the tape over.
LID.jpg
This is for the two piece lid then right? What do you do for the one piece lids?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Rigorous1 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 am...This is for the two piece lid then right?...What do you do for the one piece lids?
Most mason jars are made for canning, so they have the 2-piece lid. But if you’ve got an old mason jar that has a 1-piece lid, then you could wrap the jar lip with PTFE tape. It’s tricky, so you’ll probably invent some new words doing it, but the tape will stretch/fit on the jar lip.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rigorous1
Novice

Post by Rigorous1 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 am But if you’ve got an old mason jar that has a 1-piece lid
Was thinking about getting stainless lids with removable silicone seals.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I think he's referring to these from a page back SS. https://www.trueleafmarket.com/products ... 1471278195
be water my friend
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Back in 2014 S-Cackalaky offered up these:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=720
I've used them. I use them. They work great.
As for a mason jar lid solution, I haven't seen anything in all the pages of this thread since that have improved on it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 pm Back in 2014 S-Cackalaky offered up these:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=720
I've used them. I use them. They work great.
As for a mason jar lid solution, I haven't seen anything in all the pages of this thread since that have improved on it.
:thumbup:

Yup! Absolutely. That's all I use. If you tighten it down just right, at a certain temperature the pressure will release some gases, and suck it back in. Also, I was always glad to know that the lid would fail before the Mason jar with these. That's important becuase I age in my uninsulated attic. It's like the top rack of the rick house.

One order of 25 kept me covered and never bought anything else until I went barrel. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vagabondmountainman »

I tried these 4x4 PTFE squares based on a recommendation from Rolling on another thread and they work great. $20 for 100 of them and free shipping. You have to cut them to size, but it only takes a minute and you can cut several at once with scissors. I cut them just slightly larger than the jar lid so there is a little overhang, but not enough to interfere with the threads. When I open my jars I can see the condensation on the bottom side of the film where the whiskey has been evaporating and recondensing, but nothing on the other side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJ ... il-bullets
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

I don't even trim them! The lids still thread right on.
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

So I have purchased a couple dozen PTFE discs for my mason jars, and PTFE tri-clamp gaskets for the pot still. Does anyone know of a source for PTFE gaskets for the swing top jars?
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

YSO191 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:27 pm So I have purchased a couple dozen PTFE discs for my mason jars, and PTFE tri-clamp gaskets for the pot still. Does anyone know of a source for PTFE gaskets for the swing top jars?
I've looked and did not find any. So I have simply wrapped them in PTFE tape. Works great. I do my best not to let the liquid come in contact as an additional measure.
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

Barring a discovery of ready-made gaskets, my current plan is to buy a small sheet of PTFE and cut out a duplicate of the original gasket. I'm still looking...
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

you guys know the liquid contents we put in these mason jars is a known carcinogen. So what we don't like to water down our carcinogens with minute traces of other possible carcinogens? :idea:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

You might also consider stainless steel lids.
https://www.trueleafmarket.com/products ... 1471278195
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Bushman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:09 am You might also consider stainless steel lids.
https://www.trueleafmarket.com/products ... 1471278195
Looks like a good source. I buy similar ones from Amazon. But, be careful, some of their offerings have a coating on the inside of the lid. Read the descriptions carefully.

I get ptfe lid liners from usplastics.com. Makes a good combination with the ss lids.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

squigglefunk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:47 am you guys know the liquid contents we put in these mason jars is a known carcinogen. So what we don't like to water down our carcinogens with minute traces of other possible carcinogens? :idea:
We are listing the safest material we think is available for the situation. What would you recommend?