mason jar lids

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windswept
Swill Maker

Re: mason jar lids

Post by Windswept »

SaltyStaves wrote:
Eddie Haskel wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid idea but being a wine and beer brewer, would it be a bad idea to use a 375ml or 750ml wine bottle and cork it?
Perfect sizes for finished products.
And you can buy t-top corks online for pretty cheap, they give it a nice finish.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Windswept wrote:And you can buy t-top corks online for pretty cheap, they give it a nice finish.
Natural cork, or composite?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

A recent post by Irishgnome prompted me to do a web search for stainless steel lids for my 80 oz. and

l gallon glass jars, to no avail, but I did find lots of stainless canning jar lids with silicone gaskets

I have no way of knowing if the silicone gaskets are removable or not.

the search terms used were stainless steel jar lids.

this is one of many sights that offer stainless lids.

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/products ... 1471278195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

cob wrote: I have no way of knowing if the silicone gaskets are removable or not.

From the site, they're removable. Nice find.
These lids are 100% waterproof thanks to our removable food-grade silicone gasket.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I use Don Julio bottles my friend who runs two strip clubs saves them for me for free the labels wash off easy and they have a nice cork. I always store on glass bottles up to 5 gallons and then use natural cork stoppers. I keep things topped off tight and it all goes into a solid oak cabinet with solid doors so no light. Wine bottles are easy ask any Italian restaurant to save them for you if you bring a plastic tote to put them in took me two weeks to get over 500 bottles. Add to that I'm always on the look out for glass bottles. Ask all your friends and family and maybe a local culb to save them or do a little dumpster diving.
AlZilla
Novice

Post by AlZilla »

These guys are putting 128 proof liquor into Mason Jars:
https://olesmoky.com/products/blue-flame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wonder if this says anything about the suitability of using Mason Jar lids? Certainly they must know some of their product will sit around in homes for years.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve used the ptfe liners for aging for a year now. So far so good.
8B
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

I store in these bottles

I purchased vodka in 2 of them from liquor store.

The rest I get from Aldi they sell sparkling lemonade in them during holidays.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Tabucowboy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 am I store in these bottles

Have the ‘rubber’ gaskets ever given you problems as your product ages? Like 2 years or longer?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

BoomTown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 am
Tabucowboy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 am I store in these bottles

Have the ‘rubber’ gaskets ever given you problems as your product ages? Like 2 years or longer?
Wrap them in plumbers tape (ptfe).
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

This is my solution: Leak Proof Platinum Silicone Sealing Lid Inserts/Liners for Mason Jars

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 pm This is my solution: Leak Proof Platinum Silicone Sealing Lid Inserts/Liners for Mason Jar.
Tsk, tsk, tsk....you know what we think about silicone in contact with your (drinking) spirit.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:22 pm
YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 pm This is my solution: Leak Proof Platinum Silicone Sealing Lid Inserts/Liners for Mason Jar.
Tsk, tsk, tsk....you know what we think about silicone in contact with your (drinking) spirit.
ss
No, I don’t! It’s food grade... what am I missing?
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

From the rules section

Safety first and foremost! These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process with the exception of HPDE buckets which are acceptable for fermentation. There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. #

Only ptfe is allowed with high abv. Maybe this should be written in the rules?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm No, I don’t! It’s food grade... what am I missing?
Your over looking a fairly simple fact , ethanol isn't food, it can be classed as a solvent and a highly flammable substance among other things.
Most food wont blow your house up if you are careless when you cook it.
Maybe you need to think a little more about what it is you are doing the next time you start distilling something.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:22 pm
ss
There has been evidence that silicon can break down and leach into alcohol and some people have reported suffering medical problems as a result of drinking alcohol contaminated with silicon.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

[quote=cranky post_

[/quote]
There has been evidence that silicon can break down and leach into alcohol and some people have reported suffering medical problems as a result of drinking alcohol contaminated with silicon.
[/quote]

So Cranky, if the sealed mason jars are stored upright, where is the evidence of this leaching you mention?
Boomtown
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

Silicon by itself poses no danger to the human body. It will be the other ingredients that leach out of the silicon that could be hazardous.

That said, platinum cured silicone is not just any ole silicone. Normal silicone is cured with peroxide and although considered food safe, should not be used with hot, concentrated ethanol. Platinum cured silicone on the other hand is considered chemically inert and is rated medical grade and can be used on or in the body.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

tubbsy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:49 am Silicon by itself poses no danger to the human body. It will be the other ingredients that leach out of the silicon that could be hazardous.

That said, platinum cured silicone is not just any ole silicone. Normal silicone is cured with peroxide and although considered food safe, should not be used with hot, concentrated ethanol. Platinum cured silicone on the other hand is considered chemically inert and is rated medical grade and can be used on or in the body.
Very helpful, but is it soluble in alcohol? And how an we tell if it is Platinum cured silicone?
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

BoomTown wrote:
tubbsy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:49 am Silicon by itself poses no danger to the human body. It will be the other ingredients that leach out of the silicon that could be hazardous.

Very helpful, but is it solvable in alcohol? And how an we tell if it is Platinum cured silicone?
From what I have read it is not dissolvable in ethanol.

One of the issues with silicone is you'll often not be told what type it is, so you should always assume it's peroxide cured unless they specifically state platinum cured.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

tubbsy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 am
BoomTown wrote:

Very helpful, but is it solvable in alcohol? And how an we tell if it is Platinum cured silicone?
From what I have read it is not dissolvable in ethanol.

One of the issues with silicone is you'll often not be told what type it is, so you should always assume it's peroxide cured unless they specifically state platinum cured.
Thankyou
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:32 am
YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm No, I don’t! It’s food grade... what am I missing?
Your over looking a fairly simple fact , ethanol isn't food, it can be classed as a solvent and a highly flammable substance among other things.
Maybe you need to think a little more about what it is you are doing the next time you start distilling something.
Look, I am learning. I have not arrived, and I didn't think it was necessary to have read everything written on distillation before engaging in conversation. My thinker works just fine and I do spend time thinking about what I'm doing. I do not appreciate your condescending snarkiness.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

These are the specifications for platinum cured silicone, according to Glacier Tanks. This is for gaskets.
124790BC-451D-4FCA-B87A-5E7FF245D00E.png
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Delecto
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Delecto »

HomerD wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am These are the specifications for platinum cured silicone, according to Glacier Tanks. This is for gaskets.
He actually lists both types on that page with no distinction between the two, and no clarification whether it applies to both or not.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

YSO191 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am
HomerD wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am These are the specifications for platinum cured silicone, according to Glacier Tanks. This is for gaskets.
He actually lists both types on that page with no distinction between the two, and no clarification whether it applies to both or not.

I searched for platinum silicone. I actually have some of them, but I don’t use them with any ethanol.
https://www.glaciertanks.com/rubberfab- ... 5-fda.html
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BoomTown wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:22 am
cranky wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 am There has been evidence that silicon can break down and leach into alcohol and some people have reported suffering medical problems as a result of drinking alcohol contaminated with silicon.
So Cranky, if the sealed mason jars are stored upright, where is the evidence of this leaching you mention?
Boomtown
The same way regular mason jar lids are effected when stored upright. I don't know about your jars but mine often have drops of alcohol on the lid and sides of the jars when I open them, Obviously there is some evaporation and condensation going on inside those sealed jars, that is why regular mason jar lids aren't acceptable. It's been years since I have read about the issues with silicon so I have no idea where the reported information is, I just remember reading about it and making a mental note.

I really don't care what kind of lids people put on their jars as long as they are the only ones drinking it.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

YSO191 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 am
Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:32 am
Look, I am learning. I have not arrived, and I didn't think it was necessary to have read everything written on distillation before engaging in conversation. My thinker works just fine and I do spend time thinking about what I'm doing. I do not appreciate your condescending snarkiness.
YS...That was not condescending. He was trying to get you to realize that you missed something pretty basic related to something fairly safe such as storing the alcohol. He is trying to let you know you may need to reread the required reading before actually making the alcohol. Do it wrong, and it could have dire consequences. It is fine that you are learning and not arrived. And no, you don't have to read everything before engaging in conversations. In fact, the whole reason this forum exists is others what to share information. But the required reading is something that everyone is asked to do. It not only gives you a baseline of knowledge, it gives you the foundation to engage in conversations and ask questions here. And if you had and comprehended it, you would have know better to think you could use silicone.

And if you want to store in mason jars, I highly recommend PTFE discs that fit perfectly as an insert in both the small and big mouth mason jars. If you use the google search on this subject you will not only find full conversation on the subject but also links to where to buy them.

A coach once told me, learn to stop listening to how the message is being delivered, and learn to hear the message. That lesson has served me well in life.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm It’s food grade... what am I missing?
on 8/28/17 apparently you missed rule #8 after the revamp of HD it has been changed to rule # I

the rules are at the top of every page.

I have platinum cure silicone in my shop that gets used for many things but not still gaskets or anything related

to distilling. never even considered it.
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

YSO191 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 am I do not appreciate your condescending snarkiness.
YSO this forum takes safety very seriously, I don't care what you think of my post, but if that post made you think and learn, and it means that one day you don't hurt yourself or another, then it has done its job.
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:14 pm learn to stop listening to how the message is being delivered, and learn to hear the message.
:thumbup:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

YSO191 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pmNo, I don’t! It’s food grade... what am I missing?
Something commonly overlooked by newbies is that likker isn't only ethanol. It is a variety of chemicals, many of them solvents. Many of them evaporate then condense on the lid and run back down into your likker.

I don't purchase any vessels for aging that cause me problems finding seals for them, which is why nothing in my shed is aging in Mason jars.