still set up

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Re: still set up

Post by Antler24 »

mcG wrote:ok guy's lets rewind a bit,i said in the intro,i could use your help,but not yet as i have not come across a problem yet,but when i do,i will be sure to let you's know,i have ran the still hard with boiling water,there has been no leaks and nothing has popped,so i feel confident that when i run it with wash,it will be fine,ok the first time i run,i wont be using the thumper,i will dump the first pint and a half,that will be the fore shots,some heads and the pipe cleaning,i will run it twice, the rest i will collect in 125ml amounts,i will check these out and keep what i like,the rest can go to the next batch,if i do have a big problem i will say so,so no one try's it in future,thanks
Boiling water doesn't foam, boiling sugar wash does. You may use that still for 30 years with no problem who knows, ain't a chance I'd be willing to take. The thing is, if your ignoring safety in your very first post, your already headed downhill. To each there own and good luck to you.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Troll.....this is why I stopped posting in here. Some want to argue, some want to see what reaction they can get. Whatever.
Been here since 08 and have as many posts as some do in a year, think about it.

Willing to help anybody, but you can’t help someone who refuses to be helped.

Do what you want, if you have a problem in the future we’ll still help, in spite of this, because we’re slow learners and are more concerned with safety than fighting.

Good luck and hope you don’t learn the hard way.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I ran too small a tube on my 9 gallon when I started. Don't kid yourself, there is a lot more volume of vapor coming over at the start of the distillation when the abv is still high than what you are getting running vinegar and water trials. I put up with it for a while, but it really was a PITA and I should have fixed it after the first run. Slow learner, but I 'got it' eventually.

Keep a close eye on your boiler temperature if you are running small tube. if you have back pressure, the boiling point will higher than the abv of of the wash dictates. You know that already I presume.
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

so,i can take that every one who has offered some sort of advice,has ran a still with 10 mm pipes and it did not work,or they got killed trying it,or they know someone who will never be the same again,as a result of trying it,i can only thank you's for taking an interest in my health,however i have done a lot of crazy dangerous thing's,but this is by far not the most dangerous,even if you don't want to know the outcome of my first run,on my cost me absolutely nothing still,i will be tellin yall anyway,have a nice day,BY THE WAY 40% is only 70 proof
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

By your description it leaves at 8mm, inside diameter is most likely 7 to 6.5 mm. So let's not use 10 mm as that is no more relevant than the boiler diameter. No I doubt too many members used 42 litre boiler with a 1 litre thumper and lines with an internal diameter of 7 mm or less :crazy: . Tell ya what champ most ppl don't need to jump off a ten story building to know its a bad idea and most know you are being obtuse and your still is a death trap :wtf:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We can learn by others mistakes thus a forum sharing ideas. If multiple people have tried something with the same or similar results we don't have to try something potentially dangerous to agree with them. The members on this forum with lots of experience have been reading and doing for years and safety is their first concern take the advice or not. 40% is 80 proof. Good luck and be safe!
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

Bushman wrote:We can learn by others mistakes thus a forum sharing ideas. If multiple people have tried something with the same or similar results we don't have to try something potentially dangerous to agree with them. The members on this forum with lots of experience have been reading and doing for years and safety is their first concern take the advice or not. 40% is 80 proof. Good luck and be safe!
that's what i mean,if you don't know that 40% is 70 proof here in Scotland, then how do i know that you know JACK,how do you like them apples
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Missed your humor. Here is the beauty of this forum, if a member gives the wrong advice we have the largest forum in the world thus another member is going to come along and correct them. If a member gives good advice which happens more often there is a good chance others will agree and also add to the advice. Don't take the advice personally as members aren't puffing their chests but really trying to help.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK chum yes the British adjusted proof years back 57% = 100% proof the rest of the world including the commonwealth go with the original scale of 50% abv = 100 proof :roll: so its pretty fair to say anyone not connected to the UK distilling industry would be using normal proof not UK proof, further you could assume that without being a dork about it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

Bushman wrote:Missed your humor. Here is the beauty of this forum, if a member gives the wrong advice we have the largest forum in the world thus another member is going to come along and correct them. If a member gives good advice which happens more often there is a good chance others will agree and also add to the advice. Don't take the advice personally as members aren't puffing their chests but really trying to help.
like i said i asked for no help or advice with my still design,yet got plenty,its my design and as far as i have got it works,so why not leave it to me,to make my mind up and change it if i feel the need,no one said oh i tried that,it didn't work well,if its the case it wont work because people just think it wont work,that's not good enough,if we all thought like that wee would still be living in caves
Last edited by mcG on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

thecroweater wrote:OK chum yes the British adjusted proof years back 57% = 100% proof the rest of the world including the commonwealth go with the original scale of 50% abv = 100 proof :roll: so its pretty fair to say anyone not connected to the UK distilling industry would be using normal proof not UK proof, further you could assume that without being a dork about it.
sorry about being a dork,i'm just trying to fit in,with the rest of you dorks
Last edited by mcG on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

mcG wrote:sorry about being a dork,i'm just trying to fit in
Yeah because it kinda feels like ya trying not to and if so why not hauld yer wheesht an listen.
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

Admin Edit: Disrespecting anyone will not be tolerated